My biggest pet peev on a cruise ship/airport

I am only 44 years old. I use a quad cane so I can walk due to a disability. Please fellow cruisers, I ask humbly that you teach your children and remind yourselves of this: please plan your destination time appropriately so you are not running over the disabled people in the halls, dining rooms, elevators, etc. I cannot tell you how many bruises I have on my disabled leg from people in such a hurry to get some place that they think I am walking too slow, so they have to run me down, knock out my cane, or throw me off balance......I would think that a person with a cane would send out the signal to the general public that "Hey, I have a mobility issue, so please be careful around me..." Instead, I have found that I am more of a target for rude people who are frustrated with me because I cannot keep the pace in the hallway to their liking, so they run me over. I cannot imagine how the elderly passengers must feel who are not using a cane yet but are starting to experience some mobility issues...what happened to common courtesy? Off my b2b on LOS, my right calf is bruised beyond belief from people just being rude....

OOPS, I forgot to mention that RCI and the port authorities no longer give special service to people in wheelchairs or other mobility issues...we used to have a special line to get in so that we were not forced to stand or hold up traffic....now we are crammed in with our handicap equipment in the long lines for checking in and out, ports of call, etc. Why was the courtesy discontinued? It was one of the reasons I could tolerate the cruise easier because of ACCOMADATIONS for disabled people.

I think the issue isn't necessarily that people need to plan for more time, I think it's that people need to have some common courtesy. No matter how late I am, it is inconsiderate to run over anyone!

It sounds like you're far kinder than I ... if I had a cane in my hand and someone ran into me I would be tempted to pick it up and give them a whack in the shin. ;)

Thank you for the reminder. :)

Did you ask the RCCL staff at the port and on the ship if they have a handicap line? I am shocked that the port authorities (in a U.S. port) would do away with this. I thought it was a Federal law.

Next time someone runs into your leg, say "OW!" in a very loud voice. I have found that some people don't think about their rudeness until it's brought to their attention. Kids are hopeless; if their parents don't teach them then the kids will run wherever they want whenever they want.

Good luck to you in the future.

OOPS, I forgot to mention that RCI and the port authorities no longer give special service to people in wheelchairs or other mobility issues...we used to have a special line to get in so that we were not forced to stand or hold up traffic....now we are crammed in with our handicap equipment in the long lines for checking in and out, ports of call, etc. Why was the courtesy discontinued? It was one of the reasons I could tolerate the cruise easier because of ACCOMADATIONS for disabled people.
That's very unfortunate. I know when traveling with my mom, it's always nice to be able to get through the lines quicker. Also, we've had several incidents where people just aren't paying attention and trip over her because her wheelchair makes her shorter. Half of them are apolgetic, but some of the others are horribly rude and act like it's her fault that they walked into her when she was just minding her own business. :rolleyes: The less time we spend in a line, the better. Hopefuly they will still offer priority embarkation to diamond members when we cruise in January from San Juan.

On our recent cruise on Voyager, I had to walk with a stick due to a (temporary) problem with my legs. It made me very aware of the issues that people with mobility problems encounter.

Things that the fit and able bodied take for granted became a difficult task for me. We took a couple of tours that did not involve any or not very much walking but getting on and off of the tour bus with those very high steps was a problem. Even getting into a taxi in Italy was difficult because the type of vehicle it was had a high step up.

Most people on the ship were considerate but there were a few that did not like me taking the elevator down one deck or holding people up when they were in a hurry. There were even a couple of instances where I had to stand while others sat.

I have always considered myself tolerant and mindful of the needs of others but after my recent experiences I will be even more so in future.

If my eight year old was running (not she is allowed to run down a corridor if there are other people there) and hit or even brushed up against any one she'd be back in her room before she could even blink. Common courtesy costs nothing but is so valuable (and getting rarer!).

My DH has mobility issues that are not apparent because he doesn't use a cane or crutches or a wheel chair, but he has issues with uphill grades and ramps and prolonged standing and walking even short distances.

We always have a wheel chair for him in airports. We always have a wheel chair for him to board the cruise ships. As for checking in, if you are Platinum or higher there is a special, shorter line. If not, there are always employees of the cruise line present at the ports to direct "traffic" There is no reason that a person with mobility difficulties cannot ask that person to have a wheel chair brought for them or to get them special assistance with checking in. I believe they all have some kind of communication device with them.

I agree with the OP that there are people around who seem to have been raised without any social skills who need to be made aware of the consequences of their actions, but I think that being a little pro-active in these instances and requesting special treatment for one's special needs might be a consideration. It's great to assert one's independence, but it should not be necessary to get beaten up for it. The help is there, by law. Consider using it.

I am only 44 years old. I use a quad cane so I can walk due to a disability. Please fellow cruisers, I ask humbly that you teach your children and remind yourselves of this: please plan your destination time appropriately so you are not running over the disabled people in the halls, dining rooms, elevators, etc. I cannot tell you how many bruises I have on my disabled leg from people in such a hurry to get some place that they think I am walking too slow, so they have to run me down, knock out my cane, or throw me off balance......I would think that a person with a cane would send out the signal to the general public that "Hey, I have a mobility issue, so please be careful around me..." Instead, I have found that I am more of a target for rude people who are frustrated with me because I cannot keep the pace in the hallway to their liking, so they run me over. I cannot imagine how the elderly passengers must feel who are not using a cane yet but are starting to experience some mobility issues...what happened to common courtesy? Off my b2b on LOS, my right calf is bruised beyond belief from people just being rude....

I am sorry that you have to be the recipient of bad behavior issued by those without manners and compassion for others. I see that kind of behavior constantly. I teach special needs individuals and have to "get ugly" on some field trips. Usually, it's in a place frequented by kids who are suppose to be monitored. After seeing a student get mowed over a time or two I'll make a loud announcement: "Don't touch or bump into another one of my students", while posturing with a nasty look. With that, everyone walks a big circle around us. It's sad that as a civilized nation we are reduced to acting in the same manner as the offender.:(

I was on cruise last month and they had lines for us with canes and wheel chairs to go on first.

I know that Baltimore has such a line for those in wheelchairs or folks that have mobility issues. Maybe due to space, other terminals do not have this special lane available.

Annieeee

A few years ago I had a bad skydiving accident and had to use those electric carts in the stores and wheelchairs and I could not believe how rude people were. They would walk through the door and then I'd be trying to get the door open or just step out in front of you. It was an eye opening experience. I don't think I was ever that rude or inconsiderate but it made me much more aware now.

I broke my leg a few years ago and had a cast to my HIP. It was such an eye-opener. I was pushed, shoved, and had handbags banged against my head by shoppers in a mall. One lady and her teenager actually took hold of the wheelchair and moved me to the side, when I was looking at some scarves. It was ask if I was a grocery store buggy that had been abandoned. When I said, "excuse me?" she replied, "my daughter is looking for a scarf. We will only be a few minutes".....I finally gave up and asked my daughter's to take me home. It was really depressing. My Grandson is 15 and has been brought up around my parents (who own every ortho piece of equipment out there). He's very consious of them and protective and will get on the side where the "foot traffic" is to partially protect them. I honestly think that most of it is just lack of thinking and is not intentional. They really don't realize how thoughtless and rude they are.

Archived