Herculaneum

sugarpuff

Does anybody know the cost for entry to Herculaneum and if given the choice would Pompeii be a better site to visit? We will be visiting on 26th October 2009. Thanks

Here are the information you need:

http://www.pompeiisites.org/Sezione.jsp?idSezione=1706&idSezioneRif=1166

We are in November there...

Regards,

HeinBloed

We'd been to Pompeii several times, so on our last trip we stopped at Herculaneum. They say it's better preserved, but so much was closed off we certainly didn't see more. Also, it's a small site right in the middle of a very trashy part of Naples. Pompeii is a huge site with a theater, gladiator barracks, amphitheater, Villa of the Mysteries, forum, baths, etc. There is so, so much more there to see, and the setting is gorgeous compared to Herculaneum. You could spend days there and not see it all.

I have been to Pompeii twice and Herc. once, the last time being October 2008. IMHO I would say that Herc is a much better site. Have you considered doing both? We did Pomp. as soon as the ticket booth opened in the morning and then went to Herc. in the afternoon.

Opinions will vary on this. I've done both also, and IMO Pompeii is the better site. It's larger and gives you a better idea of the scope of the disaster of Vesuvius erupting.

If you are making a day of it, I'd suggest Pompeii in the morning and the Naples Archeological Museum in the afternoon (where most of the best items found in Pompeii and Herculaneum can be found). Seeing both the site and the objects gives a greater perspective than just seeing two sites.

We enjoyed both sites, but preferred Herculaneum. Our day also included an afternoon in Naples and the Chapel of San Severo with the Veiled Christ sculpture. It is a very moving and poignant work and is well worth a visit. We plan on returning to Naples in November and will again visit the Chapel and Herc. The train makes all of these stops easy to get to.

Archived