Sydney Travelodge?

love2learn

We are definately looking for a budget hotel, I have looked at the different Travelodges and I am wondering if it is really worth the extra money to stay at the Wynyard rather than the Travelodge Sydney on Wentworth Ave. We just want to be sure that we are in a safe area.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Sharon

There are no genuinely unsafe areas in the Sydney CBD, you are exposed to the odd drunk or homeless person at any random part of town.

Typically we don't rate the Travelodges as budget accomodation, in Sydney budget is below $100 a night, above that you should expect minimum 3 and probably 4 stars...

Wotif.com.au is a good place to compare rates, anything 3 star in the postcode 2000 is going to be "decent" anything 4 star is going to be good and you should be able to get it for less than 200 a night unless you are looking at a peak period/night.

As a guide my wife and I just spent two nights in town at the Meriton Kent St at 180 a night and that was a long weekend for us, and its 5 star....

Several things going for Wynyard's location:

- Their lobby is 100 yards from Wynyard Station, making a cab or shuttle to/from the airport unnecessary. Very fast and efficient if it isn't commute hours.

- Easy walking distance to Circ Quay, The Rocks, downtown shopping, and Darling Harbour. The other locations are slightly less convenient.

- One of the only supermarkets in the CBD is across the street in the underground complex attached to the station. We saved a lot of time and money doing continental type breakfasts in the morning. That was great for early-morning tour pickups when local cafes weren't open.

I'm not implying the other TL are not good, just that Wynyard has definite advantages. When I was selecting which one, I recall one of the TL rated a star lower and there were a few comments that an adjacent bar was rather noisy and (to some) a bit seedy.

We are definately looking for a budget hotel, I have looked at the different Travelodges and I am wondering if it is really worth the extra money to stay at the Wynyard rather than the Travelodge Sydney on Wentworth Ave. We just want to be sure that we are in a safe area.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Sharon

Why worry about it, as one is right across the road from the other at the corner of Wentworth & Goulbourn.

Ciao for now!!!

Why worry about it, as one is right across the road from the other at the corner of Wentworth & Goulbourn.

Ciao for now!!!

Just to clarify, the Wynyard and Sydney Travelodges are NOT close to one another. The Wynyard is in York Street at the northern end of the city, the Sydney one is at the southern end of the City.

The Wynyard one is, as other posters have said, more convenient to everything and to my mind is a far better choice. I speak from experience having stayed at both ... the Wynyard one is older but the rooms are a comfortable size compared to the one we stayed in at the Sydney Travelodge.

Cheers

Bob

Prob not relevant now as you've already booked but just in case...

We've got friends who live near Goulburn St/Wentworth Ave. If you like Aisan food....It's close to "THai"natown and chinatown so lots of good, very authentic and cheap Thai and chinese food!

Just to clarify, the Wynyard and Sydney Travelodges are NOT close to one another. The Wynyard is in York Street at the northern end of the city, the Sydney one is at the southern end of the City.

The Wynyard one is, as other posters have said, more convenient to everything and to my mind is a far better choice. I speak from experience having stayed at both ... the Wynyard one is older but the rooms are a comfortable size compared to the one we stayed in at the Sydney Travelodge.

Cheers

Bob

There are a few Travelodges in SYD. Sorry Sharon. The Travelodge Sydney at Wentworth & Goulbourn is across the road from the Wyndham Vacation Resort not the Wynard as I alluded to earlier.

Ciao for now!!!

I just booked the Sir Stamford 12/1 - 12/4 for 130/night USD on orbitz. I haven't stayed there but it's got great reviews on trip advisor. Anyone stayed there?

This hotel used to be the Ritz Carlton. It is a lovely building, really close to the Opera House. Stamford are good operators so although I have not stayed there in recent years, I imagine its still very good.

It has an excellent bar area with a nice elegant clubby feel. Used to go there almost every night some years back. Have eaten a casual meal there last year and it was fine.

Oh, and $USD130 is a bargain!

We are booked at the Fourt Points Sheraton in Nov. 12th and got $220 Aust. per night which includes breakfast. Is that a good deal. It has a pretty good location since we are leaving from Darling Harbor two days later.

Should I look for a cheaper hotel or keep it since it is a good location and the cost of breakfast. Please advise.

We are booked at the Fourt Points Sheraton in Nov. 12th and got $220 Aust. per night which includes breakfast. Is that a good deal. It has a pretty good location since we are leaving from Darling Harbor two days later.

Should I look for a cheaper hotel or keep it since it is a good location and the cost of breakfast. Please advise.

Have a look on www.wotif.com.au, and actually click on each hotel and see the packages available, then look at the individual hotels websites as sometimes you can get a deal with breakfast for about the same as wotif, which may not include breakfast.

Hotels in Sydney aren't cheap, your price sounds pretty good, is that with darling harbour view, as not all rooms face that side?

That is city view for $220 aust. but I don't plan on being in the room too long as we want to be out and about to see the city.

I want to stay somewhere close to Darling Harbor since we leave from Warf 8 for our cruise on the Sun Princess.;)

I stay at this hotel most weeks and love it. Location is great and their service is superb. They have won awards for service.

Location wise, its right on Darling Harbour and is the cheapest harbour view hotel in Sydney. Note, that this is not the main harbour in Sydney.. You overlook Sydney Acquarium. Its also just a couple of blocks to the QVB - lovely shopping in a gorgeous old building. Town Hall station is under the QVB.

If you have a harbour view room for $220, that is a very good deal. Non view rooms start at $170 without breakfast. I'd take that as there are heaps of places around for brekky.

As another poster says http://www.wotif.com is great to book accomodation in Australia thru. However, if you are an SPG member, you wont get points - you need to book thru http://www.spg.com

if you want a close by restaurant recommendation: Coast - 5 minutes walk away. Great Mod Oz food.

Archived