Need help to plan our day in Naples!

ilovefridays

Our group of six will be touring the Amalfi Coast end of November this year with the ship docking in the port of Naples from 7am-7pm. We plan to do things a little different as four out of our six travel companions have been to Pompeii before.

1) Two of us will take the train to Pompeii in the morning and set off from the port at 7am.

2) Our half day private tour will start out by picking the rest of the group (4 passengers) from the port at 11:30am.

3) Drop by Pompeii to collect the two of us at 12pm

4) Drive to Ravello first. Explore.

5) Stop at Positano. Explore.

6) Stop at Sorrento. Explore.

7) Return to port by 5:30ish pm.

Is this itinerary doable using a private tour if we forgo the long lunch at one of the towns?

Having read through numerous posts on DIY Pompeii, the walk to the train station will take approx. 20 minutes and the journey to Pompeii will take around 30 min. Please correct me if I got my info wrong. What is the current price of a one-way train ticket?

Many cruisers have also opted for the hydrofoil back to the port of Naples. Is this too ambitious with our unique itinerary? Any foreseeable problems with the weather or traffic along the Amalfi Coast in Nov.? To be honest, I am quite happy just driving back to the port with our tour guide but am curious to see what our options are. :D

Any advice or info would be much appreciated!

It's pretty tight. Consider that the drive from Pompei to Ravello is about an hour, so you won't even get there until 1 PM. How much time do you want to spend there?

Amalfi is only five or ten minutes from Ravello, but again, do you want to stop or just drive through?

From Amalfi, Positano is another half hour.

Positano to Sorrento is another half hour, and Sorrento back to the port is about an hour.

In other words, you'd be spending three to three and a half hours in the car, which only leaves you two hours to actually stop and see the places you're driving through ... and all that assumes you don't hit any traffic or other problems.

Also, you'd likely only be on the beautiful Amalfi coast drive one way. In order to make this trip, your driver will most likely take the inland route on the way down to save time and only take the coast drive on the way back.

If that's agreeable to your group, you certainly can hit all these places.

If you would consider dropping Ravello and Amalfi and focusing on Positano, you'll shave about an hour off of your car time and then you can have a lovely, leisurely lunch in Positano.

I definetly think your itinerary is doable since your half day won't start until after Pompeii. Be sure and get a private guide there so you can understand what you are seeing. Who knew they had crosswalks & indoor plumbing (lead pipes!) back then? We sure didn't until our guide pointed them out and explained them to us.

I can't help with your other questions, but others should be able to. Good luck! :D

Archived