Ships we've sailed that no longer exist.

mek

Our very first cruise was on our Honeymoon in 1995 and was on the REGENT SUN! No longer in existence. I still have our champagne flutes with their logo. It was our most memorable though we have been on 13 cruises since! It had the best food, waitstaff, itineraries. Though we could never go back to that size of ship, it will forever be our most memorable! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Departed Sydney in late Dec 1996 for a Christmas Cruise to Noumea, Port Vila and Isle of Pines (10 days I think). It had a Russian Crew, and within days of the ship docking back on Sydney the Cruise line went bust!

We spent the whole cruise avoiding 3 cyclones in the Pacific Islands, so had some rough weather, but not as bad as some. I think the Fairstar let most of its passengers off at Noumea as they had had enough and wanted to fly home!

Had a great time. Some of our table mates got very drunk on Vodka on the Captains night when shots were given at the end of dinner. Our waiter collected all the untouched shots and gave them to our 2 tables, and then the Captain presented us with a 40oz bottle which disappeared in 15 mins!!! There were some very sad people the next day, and it was the roughest day at sea!!!:(

We had Christmas in Port Vila.

Remember at Isle of Pines getting into the tender. Being disabled I was man handled by 4 Russians into the tender and plonked down of a really hot seat in shorts!!!! The swimming on the Island was wonderful.

So if you can help with a name, my cruise list (of 3) will be complete.

Edited by MargoK
spelling

Premier's Oceanic, " The Big Red Boat " 1990

The SS Oceanic was built in 1965 by Cantieri Riuniti dell' Adriatico, Monfalcone, Italy. Originally she ran transatlantic voyages between Europe and North America for Home Lines but probably made her name as a world-class cruising platform during winter cruises from New York to the Caribbean and Bermuda.

The Oceanic has at various times also sailed under the names of Starship Oceanic and Big Red Boat I for Premire and Oceanic for Pullmantur. In April 2009 Oceanic entered service with Peace Boat.

1965—1985: Home Lines

1985—2000: Premier Cruise Line

2000—2009: Pullmantur Cruise Line

2009—Current: Peace Boat

I want to know if they sunk while people were on them? I cant imagine they are legally allowed to sink a ship on purpose.

Some sank while they were under tow .........sometimes to the dismantler.

What happened to what was then Radisson's Diamond? It was a catamaran, and we enjoyed our most favorite cruise ever on this ship. It was a Mediterranean sailing out of Monte Carlo and ending in Rome. The last time we saw it, we were in Hong Kong.

Here's what happened to the ships I've sailed on. First, USS LaSalle AGF-3 (they eventually sank her). She was a flag communications ship:

agf3_9.jpg

USS Forrestal (CV-59), first of the super carriers. She's next to USS Saratoga here, but slated to be sunk this year:

CV59_bow.jpg

USS Sellers (DDG-11). A guided missile destroyer. She was broken up here for scrap:

USS%20Sellers%20DDG11%20DD%20day%201.jpg

USS Charleston (LKA-113), a Marine transport cargo ship. She's in Philly now. No idea what will happen, but the breakers sounds a best bet:

lka113philly2.jpg

I know, none of these are cruise ships, but I certainly "cruised" on all of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Canberra (P&O)

Rotterdam V (HAL)

Marconi (Costa)

"old" Noordam (HAL)

Skyward (NCL)

Starward (NCL)

Stella Stolaris (Sun Lines)

"old" Star Princess (Princess)

"old" Sky Princess (Princess)

France/Norway (NCL)

"old" Dawn Princess (Princess)

Song of Norway (RCCI)

Monarch of the Seas (RCCI)

Edited by slotl
forgot some

SS Norway, first and only cruise so far. She was lovely and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience! I just saw pictures of her on this forum being dismantled for scrap, and it kind of broke my heart a little.

• 2 weeks later...
So if the Carnival Celebration was sold to Ibero cruceros.. what is it called? Anyone know? I had heard it caught fire.. so I was surprised that it wasn't scrapped.

Thanks

Never mind.. I found her.. she's now the Grand Celebration

Don't know if I can post her picture but this is her now: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2671/3787391639_0efde6ae36.jpg

as I remember her:

http://www.comevisitus.com/travel/Carnival_Celebration.jpg

I toured Independence in New York Harbor before its maiden voyage in 1951. My brother had worked for American Export Lines for several years and arranged it. I was in college at the time, and enjoyed this beautiful ship immensely.

My wife and I also sailed on Commodore Cruise Line's Enchanted Isle on its last voyage, docking, as it always did, in New Orleans on December 23, 2000. This ship had been built in the United States in 1965, I believe, and was then, along with Independence and Constitution, one of the few American built passenger ships still sailing.

With 450 passengers, it was a fun little ship; and I will never forget the Caribbean steel drum band playing Christamas carols on the open rear deck in the evening.

I know the company filed bankruptcy the day after our return, and I have no idea about what happened to the ship.