Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

Whenever I read of people retiring in their 50s I always wonder how they managed to do it. I have come to the conclusion that either they worked for the government, were teachers, or are just independently wealthy. How do people pay for health insurance if they're not eligible for Medicare and don't have sweet retirement plans/pensions with insurance (i.e. govt or teachers)??

We're both 59 and counting the days (years??) until we hit 65.

• 3 weeks later...

Not many Brits on this forum, so I'll add my pennyworth...

I retire (officially) on 6 Jan 2014 (age 61 and 11 months)...according to the Government here who decided to raise the retirement age for females from 60 to 65 a while ago. I fall into the 5 year birth range that pro-rates retirement!

Fortunately I had the good sense to marry a man 12 years younger than me, so with luck and a following wind, he might be able to keep me in the luxury I would like to become accustomed to.

Having saved into retirement funds all my working life, the recent financial crisis has just about halved my retirement fund, but I have plans....

My company has recently decided that everyone in my role (Training Consultant) is to be home-based following a restructure, so I want to convert our integral garage into an office, with a future use as a cake decorating studio. Love making and decorating cakes, so hopefully I can make some pin money from that!

Edited by jewels07

• 4 weeks later...

I retired at age 63 (2 years ago), and I am LOVING it. I worked in the financial services industry, and I had a job in a large life insurance company years ago which offered one of the last non-contributory pensions in the private sector if you worked over 10 years for the company. I darn near wanted to slash my wrists by the time I left after 14 years, but it made it possible for me to make it (along with other sources) and enjoy cruising!.

As for when I started counting the days, I decided a year in advance, but I didn't tell my employer until 6 weeks out. My husband died suddenly at age 64, two months before he was to retire, and I made up my mind it wasn't going to happen to me. I have never regretted my decision.

I retired at age 63 (2 years ago), and I am LOVING it. I worked in the financial services industry, and I had a job in a large life insurance company years ago which offered one of the last non-contributory pensions in the private sector if you worked over 10 years for the company. I darn near wanted to slash my wrists by the time I left after 14 years, but it made it possible for me to make it (along with other sources) and enjoy cruising!.

As for when I started counting the days, I decided a year in advance, but I didn't tell my employer until 6 weeks out. My husband died suddenly at age 64, two months before he was to retire, and I made up my mind it wasn't going to happen to me. I have never regretted my decision.

JW - what does one say, other than thank you for sharing your story.

gary

Whenever I read of people retiring in their 50s I always wonder how they managed to do it. I have come to the conclusion that either they worked for the government, were teachers, or are just independently wealthy. How do people pay for health insurance if they're not eligible for Medicare and don't have sweet retirement plans/pensions with insurance (i.e. govt or teachers)??

We're both 59 and counting the days (years??) until we hit 65.

I try not to think about how many years I have until retirement. (11 1/2 :eek:)

That is such a long time ( will be 55 in a few days:p) and I just pray that I can continue my work as an RN in a level 3 NICU for that long. I always say that in 11 1/2 years I can be part time HEE HEE. I can't see myself being able to keep up with things as it is difficult now. With the markets fluctuating so much my 403B has taken several hits. DH has no retirement as he is self employed. I carry the health insurance for us both through my employer, but it is really expensive even with their payments. I just hope Social Security will still be around by the time we need it. I do not worry that I will be hungry or destitute, but I hope I can still travel. There are so many places that I want to go, and right now I can't be away as long as I would like.

As far as teachers are concerned, our state is trying to cut the teacher pensions, and our daughter is a parochial school teacher and has to self fund her own pension.

I retire at the end of the school year in June 2012 after 38 1/2 years. I have been counting down the school days until I retire and posting the number of days on the refrigerator in the teacher's work room. As of today, I have 110 more school days.

I am now officially retired and loving it. I didn't have any plans to retire until I turned 60 and realized I wanted to spend what was left of my life doing what I wanted to do (like taking cruises) when I wanted to (not just during summer vacation). Medical insurance is the real downer. I have three years that I have to pay for it and the retirement system only contributes about $150/month. But I have been saving for the last 16 years and plan to accomplish the #1 item on my bucket list and cruise around the world in 2014.

I am now officially retired and loving it. I didn't have any plans to retire until I turned 60 and realized I wanted to spend what was left of my life doing what I wanted to do (like taking cruises) when I wanted to (not just during summer vacation). Medical insurance is the real downer. I have three years that I have to pay for it and the retirement system only contributes about $150/month. But I have been saving for the last 16 years and plan to accomplish the #1 item on my bucket list and cruise around the world in 2014.

Good for you! I can't imagine packing for such a trip thought! I have a difficult enough time trying to keep my packing to a minimum for a 7 day cruise:D

One thing for sure, there would not likely be a large number of young 20's on a cruise like that.

Good for you! I can't imagine packing for such a trip thought! I have a difficult enough time trying to keep my packing to a minimum for a 7 day cruise:D

One thing for sure, there would not likely be a large number of young 20's on a cruise like that.

Packing is going to be an issue. I think it will likely be 3 large suitcases and the biggest and heaviest carryon I can get by with. I'm trying to do a lot of mix and match.

I think I will be on the lower end of the age scale for those going on the full world cruise. On the segments there should be a greater range but still very few under 25 I expect.

I made the decision to retire from my job when I became 62 and lo and behold the company I worked for offered a early retirement but they picked the date and thankfully it was after I was 62 but after working in retail for 32 years it was time to call it quits.. I have not looked back and have no regrets.. Hubby is still working for a few more years.. I honestly don't know how I had the time to work and the only thing I do miss is some of the co-workers.;) Looking forward to traveling and doing what I want when I want..Love not having to get up with the alarm clock..

• 2 weeks later...

Good to read from the posters that they are enjoying their retirement. We have met with our financial planner & she says we are fine to retire any time we would like. H has been at his job for > 40 years and loved most of the time there. His sister was just his age when she was diagnosed with cancer & has recently died, so that has added more incentive for him to retire. Most of his friends are retired and he loves puttering & has never had enough time to do it while working full-time.

I only work part-time at a non-profit I started & mostly enjoy it but sometimes get tired of "herding the cats" and endlessly seeking funding to keep things going, so not sure what the future holds for me & my non-profit.

It does feel great knowing we COULD both fully retire if we want to or can keep working if that is our preference.

H will get a pension with COLA & employer-subsidized medical insurance for our lifetimes (though pension goes down to 55% when he dies, if I'm still alive). That will be the bulk of what we life off of--funding our kid's college has taken a huge chunk of money but is what we want to do & we're looking forward to the last tuition bill Spring 2013.

We'll see how much we like cruising; do know we love traveling to national parks and think we may do some time volunteering there.

Packing is going to be an issue. I think it will likely be 3 large suitcases and the biggest and heaviest carryon I can get by with. I'm trying to do a lot of mix and match.

I think I will be on the lower end of the age scale for those going on the full world cruise. On the segments there should be a greater range but still very few under 25 I expect.

I retired last year and a round the world trip is definitely on my list. My husband wants to work for another 3-7 years. Since he has no interest in spending that long on a ship it gives me a window.

Guess I don't understand why three suitcases - but then I spent 33 years in uniform and can wear the same outfit over and over (yes, laundry). One backpack for the photo equipment and cameras, bag for daily use and a 25" suitcase for everything else..... (and the knitting gets stuffed in there somewhere....)

Im 56 and DH is 63. He still works and I am out of work but looking.We have been saving for retirement for a long time but we experienced 2 downturns in the economy and both times we lost almost 1/2 of our 401K! We moved most of the money into very safe funds (but they make NO MONEY!) and we just hope we can sock more away the next few years. I cant see DH working more than another 4 years or so ("Ill be darned if I am going to be working at 70" he says)

I would love a job in the neighborhood where I could make a little and still be close to home and not have to commute. However I wont work weekends as long as DH works!

We both love to cruise,fish, and go to Atlantic City so we need to save, save, save!

• 3 weeks later...

But will need to keep working for health benefits.

Looking forward to the option of doing something different and shorter commute

I had planned to retire at 59 1/2, but realized I was uninsurable, so I have to work until medicare eligible. I'm working enough to get the company insurance.It is OK - I can probably work beyond age 65 at 24 hours a week.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 1557 days until retirement. Sigh....... Planning to retire December 27, 2016. In 2016 Christmas Day (the 25th) is on a Sunday. I want the following Monday holiday PAID so I'm retiring the next day after that. You bet your butt I'm counting! :D

I don't think there's much chance that my wife will last that long. I think she'll probably decide she's had it with working before then and retire before me. Of course we both want to retire NOW!

• 10 months later...

I am glad this thread has been revived! I retired at the end of June 2013 after 30 years as a literacy educator, and we moved from Virginia to Florida the very next day. It was really my husband's dream, and he had been retired for 10 years while I kept on working. I am feeling terribly antsy, wondering what I am going to do with the rest of my life. Of course, cruising will be a big part of it. Our next cruise will be on Nov. 17 on RCI Freedom of the Seas (just 90 min. from our new home), but I think I need one sooner!

I am glad this thread has been revived! I retired at the end of June 2013 after 30 years as a literacy educator, and we moved from Virginia to Florida the very next day. It was really my husband's dream, and he had been retired for 10 years while I kept on working. I am feeling terribly antsy, wondering what I am going to do with the rest of my life. Of course, cruising will be a big part of it. Our next cruise will be on Nov. 17 on RCI Freedom of the Seas (just 90 min. from our new home), but I think I need one sooner!

You will find so much to fill your days that you'll wonder how you ever had time to work. For the first time in your life you can do whatever you want. Follow your bliss.

I have 250 days left. I'm an educator. I love teaching and the kids but they keep changing things. And of course when they change things they don't supply you with what you need to teach. They have no money!! Well they need to stop changing things. We start a new math on Monday without 3 different manipulatives to do the lessons for the first week. Crazy!! Ok, I'm getting off my soapbox and do the best I can with what I have and keep counting down those days.;)