Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

Congratulations and sound like you have a plan that works for you.

My calendar is telling me that I have 353 days till I call it aday but, I suspect I will change it to a 3-day week. That way it keeps me busy and also subsides the cruises! We will see.

I am required to provide 3 months advance notice and plan to discuss this in detail at the beginning of next year. The result of those discussions will determine my final decision.

It was previously intimated that a 3 or 4 day week would be acceptable but,…things change so we will see.

Only last week I attended the funeral of a friend who was only 47 years old and its times that those that make us re-assess what is important in our lives and we should make the most of the time we have.

When I first started the countdown, I counted Mondays and I had more than 500 of them. I'm now down to 12 work days.

So happy for you! (y)

I'm down to 209 days, but I'll be having surgery this summer that will cut 42 days off my total.....so, it's actually 167! Then after my last day, it will be only 3.5 weeks before I leave on my world cruise for 6 months. Can't wait!

I am only 57 and my husband turns 60 in two weeks. I have psoriatic arthritis and have already had my hip replaced twice and some of my other joints are starting to fail. I plan on retiring at age 62 and 3 months. I feel bad because it means my husband will have to work a little longer. Our goal is to save as much money as possible up until the time I retire. Luckily, we sold a home in New Hampshire and bought a mobile home in a 55+ community with no mortgage. That will make it a little easier. If we were still in New Hampshire - our mortgage would have been $2K a month and our property taxes would have been $7K. We will be able to live on Social Security along with Medicare. The extra savings will go toward eating out at least once a week and taking a cruise or two every year.

I start checking out today. It's going to be a long process over the next three weeks.:D

Good for you - congrats! :D

About 9 months ago, I decided to look into retirement even though I'm not yet eligible due to age. It started when I was feeling burned out, unappreciated, and didn't like what I was doing.

Several months ago, I decided on my retirement date, which is exactly the first of the month after I turn 55, the earliest date. I bought a countdown timer :'), so it's counting down for me although I haven't looked at it for a while. The main thing keeping me here is that I'd lose out on retiree medical, not only the ability to purchase it but the company has been putting aside an amount for me and my spouse for since I was 45, so I'd walk away from over $135K and have to find and pay for insurance until Medicare, so that total would be over $400K loss. Hanging in there for another 3 years and 3.5 months :) Then I'm celebrating w/a cruise!

My grand daughter made me a construction paper chain and on the 2nd of each month I take a link off. I'm down to 44 links. It is going so fast and so slow all at the same time...... the weekdays go really slow and the weekends go really fast!! lol

My last day of work is on the 22nd. I'm taking vacation for the last official week of work (retirement date of 29 June) since my DD will be here. On my last day of work I turn in my badge and simply go home, which will occur around 0800. Soooooo...I have 4 actual days of work left.
That is such wonderful news. Congratulations!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

My last day of work is on the 22nd. I'm taking vacation for the last official week of work (retirement date of 29 June) since my DD will be here. On my last day of work I turn in my badge and simply go home, which will occur around 0800. Soooooo...I have 4 actual days of work left.

Congratulations as you are about to start a new chapter inyour life.

Congrats! Enjoy your visit with your daughter. We expect you'll be back to share with us how wonderful retirement is. :)

I just started reading the first of the thread, that was sent 8n 2009 and it made me realise that I have 4 years and 3 months before I can officially retire at the age of 66......But my wife has now reminded me ... if we want to keep on cruising I would still have to keep on working......so I have sent my book I wrote a few years ago to a Big Newspaper in the hope of it being published.....took my 7 years to proof read it.......Fact and fiction based on the Titanic Class system.....here’s hoping ,,,,,

The main thing keeping me here is that I'd lose out on retiree medical, not only the ability to purchase it but the company has been putting aside an amount for me and my spouse for since I was 45, so I'd walk away from over $135K and have to find and pay for insurance until Medicare, so that total would be over $400K loss.

I know it's hard to keep going when you've picked up the "retirement bug", but I would advise you to stay as long as necessary to get those wonderful benefits....you'll love retirement so much more when you don't have to worry about money. I have a little over 6 months until I retire, but I'm 65 yrs old. I won't have any of those great benefits you'll have, but I just couldn't afford to quit any sooner. I do plan to drop down to part time soon so I'll sort of transition into retirement.

Thanks to all who offered good wishes. :) As I sit here on a Sunday morning with my cuppa, thinking about work tomorrow and what all I need to get done today, I realize that this same time next week it won't matter that's it's Sunday. Oh, how wonderful is that?

So jealous! It seems so far away to me :-(

My firsts countdown to retirement counted Monday. I had well over 500 Mondays to go. That was so LONG ago, yet it seems the time flew by. It will for you as well. I promise!

I have 57 more Mondays. I’m so really, been at the same job for 44 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm counting weeks instead of days or years, although I know what those numbers are as well. 210 weeks to go. I'll fit vacation hours in there too. As they say, the days are long but the years are short. I'm looking forward to no weekend shifts and no holiday shifts. No more staff meetings and no required continuing education. No committees and no scrubs to launder. No mid year evaluations and no performance evaluations with peer reviews. No accreditation visits, and no calls begging for me to work extra, and no call offs with standby status. No ridiculous assignment configurations and no restrictions on when I can take vacation or how much I can take. My schedule will be my own choosing, not someone else's . No having to travel in bad weather or staying overnight in case I can't get there because of the weather 45 miles away. I might be able to find some decent health insurance. The only thing I will miss is the work that matters and the pay!

Misty,

I hope the remaining time goes quickly, but that you can also still enjoy it. I agree..... Having your time be your own will be the greatest gift, in my perspective.

I'm counting weeks instead of days or years, although I know what those numbers are as well. 210 weeks to go. I'll fit vacation hours in there too. As they say, the days are long but the years are short. I'm looking forward to no weekend shifts and no holiday shifts. No more staff meetings and no required continuing education. No committees and no scrubs to launder. No mid year evaluations and no performance evaluations with peer reviews. No accreditation visits, and no calls begging for me to work extra, and no call offs with standby status. No ridiculous assignment configurations and no restrictions on when I can take vacation or how much I can take. My schedule will be my own choosing, not someone else's . No having to travel in bad weather or staying overnight in case I can't get there because of the weather 45 miles away. I might be able to find some decent health insurance. The only thing I will miss is the work that matters and the pay!

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats Fyree!!! And oh do I understand the pile of chores to be done. Friends who have retired have said they have no idea how they managed to get things while when they worked. Best of all, in retirement, you get to decide when you do the chores...or if you spend the time planning that next vaca!