Cruise Critic Community
Look2Sea

Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

For those retired or near retirement, how and why did you pick the date you chose to retire? My hubby and I are retiring in 3 - 5 years and chose a Thursday to retire. That way we don't have to go in on Friday.

My job isn't like most people....I work 3, 12 hr shifts per week and I work different days, of my choosing, every week. So, picking what date to quit was pretty easy. I want health insurance through the end of January, 2019 so I need to work at least one day in January. New Year's Day isn't my holiday to work, so I can't pick that one. I then chose Jan. 2 for my last day....can quit asap in January but still get insurance til the end of the month.

My job isn't like most people....I work 3, 12 hr shifts per week and I work different days, of my choosing, every week. So, picking what date to quit was pretty easy. I want health insurance through the end of January, 2019 so I need to work at least one day in January. New Year's Day isn't my holiday to work, so I can't pick that one. I then chose Jan. 2 for my last day....can quit asap in January but still get insurance til the end of the month.
Very smart decision!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

For those retired or near retirement, how and why did you pick the date you chose to retire? My hubby and I are retiring in 3 - 5 years and chose a Thursday to retire. That way we don't have to go in on Friday.

The subject of my retirement is now coming up more frequently at my work as management have finally realized that about a 1/3 of the department are all around the same age of late 50’s early 60’s and they are starting to panic as, in theory we could all leave around the same time which would be a major issue. My boss has asked me to give him at least 6 month notice of when I plan to leave. Hmm,..I said I would try but cant make promises as health would be the deciding factor and I would give at least 3 months as that is the minimum in my contract. That time limit works both ways as if they want to get rid of me they have to give me 3 month notice.

My plan at the moment is to stay working full time until at least the end of the year, and probably until March 2019 as that is when we go on a 3 week trip to Australia. After that, I will probably opt to go on a 3-day week for a year or, as long as it suits me. They have intimated that they are keen on that as a way to retain my services but that may change nearer the time.

I was speaking to a colleague last week who finally quit aged 60 and he had been on a 3-day week for a year and strongly advised it as a gradual transition towards full time retirement.

As for what day ? to be honest I will probably go on or around the last day of that month but I like you’re thinking of a Thursday.

I turn 60 in March 2019, so I started from there as it meant I could leave with a full pension (no penalty). Then I did the math. We have a pension calculator tool that I used to determine how much less I would get if I left a little earlier. I decided I could afford to take a very small penalty, about $25 a month leaving 2 months earlier. I'm an accountant by trade, so next was looking at fixed costs and discretionary spending and I determined that my income would cover my needs.

Then, like an earlier poster, I figured out my vacation credits, and determined I can walk out of the office on Thursday November 29, 2018, be on vacation until January 31, 2019 when I officially retire. The weeks are flying by...it will be here before I know it!

I just decided 2-2-22 would be a great day to say goodbye!! We will see if I make it to then.

Today, I retired today 11 July. Thanks

I picked this date because yesterday 10 July marked 45 years of flying; so by having my retirement date a day later I made the 45 year mark

I picked this date because yesterday 10 July marked 45 years of flying; so by having my retirement date a day later I made the 45 year mark

Congratulations on your retirement and on your long flying career!

Smart thinking. And congratulations!

Congratulation on reaching that milestone and the beginning of a new chapter in your life.

Yesterday was also the last day at my work of a good friend and colleague who after 28 years and at the age of 65 has decided to call it aday. It was an emotional time as we all said goodbye and I couldn’t help but think that hopefully in the not too distant future, that will be me “clocking off” for the last time and the beginning of a new chapter.

:p

Congratulation.... Now the first thing you do is to unplug the alarm clockclear.png?emoji-tongue-1703clear.png?emoji-tongue-1703

Congratulations! What did you fly?

Congrats AF-1! Awesome

I originally picked May 1 as my tentative retirement date. Then I found out that you get your first pension check sooner if you retire at the end of the month as opposed to the beginning, so I am moving it back to April 29 or 30. I get 5 personal days on April 21 (my Anniversary date) then I will use them and retire.

Denise

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Congratulations! What did you fly?

I was a corporate Flight attendant for 18 years and prior to that I was Chief Flight Attendant for Air Force One; hence my screen name

:p

Congratulation.... Now the first thing you do is to unplug the alarm clockclear.png?emoji-tongue-1703clear.png?emoji-tongue-1703

I'm putting alarm clock in spare bedroom; no more wake up calls for me

I started posting here a few years out, as of today my retirement is 145 days. But, I'll be out of the office for a good portion of that time, my last day in the office is only 82 days away. Best of all, when I count the days I have to be in the office...I'm down to a mere 44 days!

I started posting here a few years out, as of today my retirement is 145 days. But, I'll be out of the office for a good portion of that time, my last day in the office is only 82 days away. Best of all, when I count the days I have to be in the office...I'm down to a mere 44 days!

Congrats! I'm a little more than double your time, but that still makes me a short timer.

My days left till retirement is 232 days. Maybe I should start counting days in the office. I will work on that, it's gotta be a better number. Three week vacation in October coming up.

Denise

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

When I started my job I was told that the longest anyone stayed there was 37 years .It was my goal to work 38 years . At year 25 I was downsized .

My days left till retirement is 232 days. Maybe I should start counting days in the office.

I like this method!

I have 115 total days till I retire, but just 34 workdays!! But what is a little nerve wracking is that there are only 8 more paychecks....:o

But, I'm happy!!

Well, I started another school year and got my 35 years award(I actually have 2 1/2 years part time teaching but that does not count). Still not sure when I will retire but I definitely will not go past next school year. I have a small class and they are nice and hard working.

By the way, the teacher that stayed to longest at my school was 31 years which I wanted to reach and will because this is my 31 st year. But a teacher who came in a year before me right out of college is starting her 32 year. So I will never match her because she is 11 years younger than me.