Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

18 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, guess I am getting very lucky...….I have spoken with my Benefits people (I am still working until Tuesday:classic_smile:) and

the amount I am going to pay for Cobra is way less than what you paid.  Maybe it is because of the package I have

now?

Nice !  I got laid off from a company I worked at for 22 years 6 years back.  I received 54 weeks severance that included medical.  Wasn't really a big deal getting laid off as I'm in IT.  I secured a contract job in less than a week with the same pay, so I got to double-dip for 54 weeks.  After that medical severance concluded, I went on my new company's medical.  It was not as generous as my previous plan of 22 years... hence, the $2K/month COBRA when I left.

Anyway, I think a lot of people do not think about ObamaCare as I suspect many think they will not qualify.  I was surprised at the $67K ceiling.  I think that is very generous. 

9 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Nice !  I got laid off from a company I worked at for 22 years 6 years back.  I received 54 weeks severance that included medical.  Wasn't really a big deal getting laid off as I'm in IT.  I secured a contract job in less than a week with the same pay, so I got to double-dip for 54 weeks.  After that medical severance concluded, I went on my new company's medical.  It was not as generous as my previous plan of 22 years... hence, the $2K/month COBRA when I left.

Anyway, I think a lot of people do not think about ObamaCare as I suspect many think they will not qualify.  I was surprised at the $67K ceiling.  I think that is very generous. 

Oh wow, so sorry about that lay off but sounds like things are working out for you. In my case? I am leaving of my own accord.

Been working for the same company 29 years this month but this year (2019) many things changed in my

job and after much thought and research it is my time to leave.  When benefits told me how much Cobra would cost

me I was actually surprised (in a GOOD way).  I have it saved and if they allow me to, I would pay for a year of it

up front. Need to see if they do it by the month only or quarterly or yearly if it is allowed.

21 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Oh wow, so sorry about that lay off but sounds like things are working out for you. In my case? I am leaving of my own accord.

My layoff was not a surprise... they were eliminating the systems I supported -- it was just a matter of time.  I worked an additional 4.5 years for two other companies, but like you, I finally hit the point in my career where my work no longer excited me, and it was time to retire.  Also, my career felt like 40 years of college... constant learning as IT constantly changes so much and fast.  I don't miss the constant learning, now that I'm retired.

Retirement is pretty nice... it was very nice being able to retire at age 59.  

Everyone has told me that you will know when you are ready to retire.  It is true. I told my principal a few days ago that I would like to work part time next year. Not full retirement but at 68 I would like a little free time.  My two grandchildren attend my school. This is my 32 nd year at this school so I want to stay connected. I have been getting my social security since I was 66.  I will take my pension but I can’t take the health insurance.  I will have to purchase Medicare and Medicare gap because my husband has health problems.  We don’t want to change doctors so we will go with regular Medicare. 

• 3 weeks later...

563 days, but who's counting?  Actually, the countdown clock on my home page is doing it for me, ha-ha!  I probably would have already retired by now, but medical insurance has gotten soooo expensive in the last decade that I'm not willing to allocate that much of my retirement $$ to insurance when my company's not helping me pay, so I'm waiting until I can just supplement Medicare (but won't take SS until I can get the full amount).  We have my 65th Birthday / Retirement / 10 Year Anniversary Celebrity Alaskan cruisetour already booked, embarking a week after I retire.  Yes, there's also a countdown on my home page for that too, as well as one for our Caribbean cruise this March.  Only the March cruise is programmed into my Google Home app, though... I'll put the next milestone in once that date passes.  Each morning, while I'm making my coffee, I say "OK, Google... Good Morning!"  It turns on the kitchen lights, says "Good morning, you sexy thing!", gives me a weather report, then says "You are boarding the Celebrity Silhouette in X days."   Gotta love us crazy IT nerds, eh?  -  Laurie

• Haha 1

Hi, well done to you and it is good to have a plan.

I really like your Good morning google thingy,  and I think  will try that myself.

Its 238 days for me till our cruise ie Alaska then Hawaii and a transpacific to Australia on Ovation so lots to look forward to and its been a long time in the planning.

The days will fly by till your cruise and it will soon come round.

Never been on Silhouette but have been on Solstice and it was a lovely ship.

• Like 1

It is official. Starting next school year, I will work part time ( as the librarian). This way I can earn a little extra money and help my daughter with tuition. I will be able to get social security and my pension.  Just have to figure out Medicare. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all!  I was not aware of this forum.  The "55+ cruisers" is the featured forum today so that led me here.

I haven't counted the days, but I do count the days until the next cruise.  So I will figure it out now...  62 days to boarding the Rotterdam in FLL which will take us TO Rotterdam, so we can then "Tiptoe through the tulips."

My current retirement date is June 3.  So that would be 120 days from today.

How many working days?  65 not including today.

Depending on what the company offers, I may continue in a (very) part time consulting role for a period of time.

Current travel plans for 2020:

• Rotterdam cruise 4-6 (16 days followed by 4 days on land in the Netherlands).
  • Celebrity Summit (10 days) 6-6 (retirement celebration and a little delayed 38th anniversary).
  • Caribbean Princess to Greenland 8-17 (16 days)
  • Something in Oct-Nov (perhaps Pacific coastal followed by Panama Canal 10-24 on Volendam - or fall trans-Atlantic or???)
  • Antarctica on Westerdam 12-19 (22 days) preceded by land trip to Iguazu Falls.

Good cruise planning to all!

I started counting the days once we got with a financial advisor who told me my plan to retire was not only workable, but that I could retire now if I wanted.  However, I set the date out about two years so I could save up some more cruise money first.... I've got priorities.  😎  As soon as I planned the date, I put a widget on my custom home page with a countdown, booked the celebration Alaksan cruisetour that kicks off a week later, and added a countdown for that as well (under the one that was already there for our Caribbean cruise next month).  Love seeing the numbers drop each day!

Hi,

This is spooky as that is the same as what I did and it was 2 years out.

As it happens, I had a follow up meeting again yesterday and was told the same, I could retire now if I want to.  However, we are doing a B2B2B on Ovation ie Alaska – Hawaii  - transpacific to Sydney for this Autumn so I will slow down  / transition to a 3 – day week till 31st Aug and then that’s it. I'm done.

I have been told that the company will keep my position open after the trip if I wanted to come back and I have said “never say never” but in my heart it is unlikely.

I too love seeing the countdown days drop and its “only” 216 days till we leave for Ovation but we have a wee trip on Harmony booked for April to tide us over till then. However, as they say,…life is too short and we should make the days count not count the days !

On 2/4/2020 at 8:41 AM, StartrainDD said:

I haven't counted the days, but I do count the days until the next cruise.  So I will figure it out now...  62 days to boarding the Rotterdam in FLL

Since I'm "only" 58 I have to do the same. 297 days until our first Carnival experience, and 424 days until our first TA sounds a whole lot better than ....... UGH!! ........ 2,741 days until retirement. 😲🙄😭

On 2/5/2020 at 1:30 PM, ronpes said:

Hi,

This is spooky as that is the same as what I did and it was 2 years out.

As it happens, I had a follow up meeting again yesterday and was told the same, I could retire now if I want to.  However, we are doing a B2B2B on Ovation ie Alaska – Hawaii  - transpacific to Sydney for this Autumn so I will slow down  / transition to a 3 – day week till 31st Aug and then that’s it. I'm done.

I have been told that the company will keep my position open after the trip if I wanted to come back and I have said “never say never” but in my heart it is unlikely.

I too love seeing the countdown days drop and its “only” 216 days till we leave for Ovation but we have a wee trip on Harmony booked for April to tide us over till then. However, as they say,…life is too short and we should make the days count not count the days !

Hello

A few years ago we were told we couldn't do a Alaska, then Hawaii b2b cruise due to The Jones Act.

Maybe it changed or maybe it doesn't effect someone from the UK.

Tom

7 hours ago, tomworldwidewaftage said:

Hello

A few years ago we were told we couldn't do a Alaska, then Hawaii b2b cruise due to The Jones Act.

Tom

They are not disembarking in Hawaii but continuing on to Sydney, so no Jones Act concerns.  Alaska-Hawaii would be problem if the cruise begins in Seattle or Alaska and ended in Hawaii.  If the cruise began in Vancouver that would not be a violation either.

Can be very confusing for sure!

21 hours ago, tomworldwidewaftage said:

Hello

Tom

Hi,..you are absolutely right.

The only way we are able to do this is because we are staying on the ship after Hawaii and sailing onto Sydney Australia ie we are doing a B2B2B. Alaska - Hawaii - Transpacific to Sydney.

13 hours ago, StartrainDD said:

They are not disembarking in Hawaii but continuing on to Sydney, so no Jones Act concerns.  Alaska-Hawaii would be problem if the cruise begins in Seattle or Alaska and ended in Hawaii.  If the cruise began in Vancouver that would not be a violation either.

Can be very confusing for sure!

Hi StrartrainDD, thank you for clarifying and I only noticed your reply once I had replied to Tom.

I agree, it is very confusing (for me anyway !) and even our Travel Agent had to double check, and it wasn't until we got written conformation from RCCL that we sealed the deal.  

Thanks again.

Hey thanks for idea about an app.  I downloaded one on my phone today....3 years, 2 months, 27 days to go. ( Best guess).  I do want to go part time 2 years prior but that remains to be seen.  I’m ready tomorrow.  I’ve been a hospital nurse for 40+ years and am so done.  I’m trying all kinds of things to stay positive including using all my vacation time for cruising or seeing Grand-babies,  but as some have said here, I’m burned out. I actually still love caring for my patients ( newborn intensive care) but the rest of it ( vacation rules, schedule rules, taking call shifts, floating to other units, getting up at 4:30 a.m. for a long commute and self centered parents) have taken all the fun out of it. 

Edited by cruiselvr04

Today is the day I did it.  Sent my retirement notice in, I did.  June 3 will be my last at the office.

54 days to boarding the Rotterdam in FLL which will take us TO Rotterdam, so we can then "Tiptoe through the tulips."

My retirement date is June 3.  So that would be 112 days from today.

How many working days?  59 not including today.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StartrainDD said:

Today is the day I did it.  Sent my retirement notice in, I did.  June 3 will be my last at the office.

54 days to boarding the Rotterdam in FLL which will take us TO Rotterdam, so we can then "Tiptoe through the tulips."

CONGRATULATIONS:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:.  My last day was Dec 31st and truthfully, I have not missed it one bit!!!!!!!!!!!

On 2/7/2020 at 12:07 PM, cruiselvr04 said:

Hey thanks for idea about an app.  I downloaded one on my phone today....3 years, 2 months, 27 days to go. ( Best guess).  I do want to go part time 2 years prior but that remains to be seen.  I’m ready tomorrow.  I’ve been a hospital nurse for 40+ years and am so done.  I’m trying all kinds of things to stay positive including using all my vacation time for cruising or seeing Grand-babies,  but as some have said here, I’m burned out. I actually still love caring for my patients ( newborn intensive care) but the rest of it ( vacation rules, schedule rules, taking call shifts, floating to other units, getting up at 4:30 a.m. for a long commute and self centered parents) have taken all the fun out of it. 

On 2/7/2020 at 12:07 PM, cruiselvr04 said:

I had to look twice to make sure this wasn’t one of my posts! I’ve been a nurse for42 years and feel the same way about a lot of things. I’m in a level 3 NICU but since I’ve been there so long I don’t have to float, they don’t change my schedule and I only have to work 4 weekend shifts in a 6 week schedule. I get to choose one holiday from my rotation to take off. We don’t take call anymore. Honestly the no float perk is the best. I’d trade everything else for that if I had to. I hope to retire in 2 years 4 months, Lord willing.

• Like 1

You are fortunate.   I work the same number of holiday shifts as a new grad, work 8 weekend shifts in 8 weeks, get my schedule changed on their whim and take call 4 times in 8 weeks. We float to newborn about 4 times a year.

I'm also in a level 3 that's very busy and stressful.  I'm so done.   I have to coach myself up every morning to go in. 

Good luck to you and hope you can retire as you've planned. 3 more years....

17 hours ago, StartrainDD said:

Congratulations.  So much to look forward to . 

16 hours ago, Lois R said:

CONGRATULATIONS:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:.  My last day was Dec 31st and truthfully, I have not missed it one bit!!!!!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, Von & John said:

@StartrainDD

Congratulations!!!

That is exciting News 🍾🍾🍾

40 minutes ago, ronpes said:

Congratulations.  So much to look forward to . 

Thank you all for the good wishes!

We are excited and it is a relief in many ways.

Looking forward to not having the alarm clock go off at 5:10 every weekday morning!

Lois, so happy everything is working out for you!

All those still planning - hang in there and save as much as you can while still working.  Measure your savings in "Cruises!"