Cruise Critic Community
Look2Sea

Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

It is official. Starting next school year, I will work part time ( as the librarian). This way I can earn a little extra money and help my daughter with tuition. I will be able to get social security and my pension.  Just have to figure out Medicare. 

Hello all!  I was not aware of this forum.  The "55+ cruisers" is the featured forum today so that led me here.

I haven't counted the days, but I do count the days until the next cruise.  So I will figure it out now...  62 days to boarding the Rotterdam in FLL which will take us TO Rotterdam, so we can then "Tiptoe through the tulips."

My current retirement date is June 3.  So that would be 120 days from today.

How many working days?  65 not including today.

Depending on what the company offers, I may continue in a (very) part time consulting role for a period of time.

Current travel plans for 2020:

• Rotterdam cruise 4-6 (16 days followed by 4 days on land in the Netherlands).
  • Celebrity Summit (10 days) 6-6 (retirement celebration and a little delayed 38th anniversary).
  • Caribbean Princess to Greenland 8-17 (16 days)
  • Something in Oct-Nov (perhaps Pacific coastal followed by Panama Canal 10-24 on Volendam - or fall trans-Atlantic or???)
  • Antarctica on Westerdam 12-19 (22 days) preceded by land trip to Iguazu Falls.

Good cruise planning to all!

Since I am a teacher, my last full time day with students is June 12th.  Then a few days of cleaning and moving my stuff.  August I will go to part time (19 hours) and take care of the library.

I started counting the days once we got with a financial advisor who told me my plan to retire was not only workable, but that I could retire now if I wanted.  However, I set the date out about two years so I could save up some more cruise money first.... I've got priorities.  😎  As soon as I planned the date, I put a widget on my custom home page with a countdown, booked the celebration Alaksan cruisetour that kicks off a week later, and added a countdown for that as well (under the one that was already there for our Caribbean cruise next month).  Love seeing the numbers drop each day!

Hi,

This is spooky as that is the same as what I did and it was 2 years out.

As it happens, I had a follow up meeting again yesterday and was told the same, I could retire now if I want to.  However, we are doing a B2B2B on Ovation ie Alaska – Hawaii  - transpacific to Sydney for this Autumn so I will slow down  / transition to a 3 – day week till 31st Aug and then that’s it. I'm done.

I have been told that the company will keep my position open after the trip if I wanted to come back and I have said “never say never” but in my heart it is unlikely.

I too love seeing the countdown days drop and its “only” 216 days till we leave for Ovation but we have a wee trip on Harmony booked for April to tide us over till then. However, as they say,…life is too short and we should make the days count not count the days !

On 2/4/2020 at 8:41 AM, StartrainDD said:

I haven't counted the days, but I do count the days until the next cruise.  So I will figure it out now...  62 days to boarding the Rotterdam in FLL

Since I'm "only" 58 I have to do the same. 297 days until our first Carnival experience, and 424 days until our first TA sounds a whole lot better than ....... UGH!! ........ 2,741 days until retirement. 😲🙄😭

On 2/5/2020 at 1:30 PM, ronpes said:

Hi,

This is spooky as that is the same as what I did and it was 2 years out.

As it happens, I had a follow up meeting again yesterday and was told the same, I could retire now if I want to.  However, we are doing a B2B2B on Ovation ie Alaska – Hawaii  - transpacific to Sydney for this Autumn so I will slow down  / transition to a 3 – day week till 31st Aug and then that’s it. I'm done.

I have been told that the company will keep my position open after the trip if I wanted to come back and I have said “never say never” but in my heart it is unlikely.

I too love seeing the countdown days drop and its “only” 216 days till we leave for Ovation but we have a wee trip on Harmony booked for April to tide us over till then. However, as they say,…life is too short and we should make the days count not count the days !

Hello

A few years ago we were told we couldn't do a Alaska, then Hawaii b2b cruise due to The Jones Act.

Maybe it changed or maybe it doesn't effect someone from the UK.

Tom

7 hours ago, tomworldwidewaftage said:

Hello

A few years ago we were told we couldn't do a Alaska, then Hawaii b2b cruise due to The Jones Act.

Tom

They are not disembarking in Hawaii but continuing on to Sydney, so no Jones Act concerns.  Alaska-Hawaii would be problem if the cruise begins in Seattle or Alaska and ended in Hawaii.  If the cruise began in Vancouver that would not be a violation either.

Can be very confusing for sure!

21 hours ago, tomworldwidewaftage said:

Hello

Tom

Hi,..you are absolutely right.

The only way we are able to do this is because we are staying on the ship after Hawaii and sailing onto Sydney Australia ie we are doing a B2B2B. Alaska - Hawaii - Transpacific to Sydney.

13 hours ago, StartrainDD said:

They are not disembarking in Hawaii but continuing on to Sydney, so no Jones Act concerns.  Alaska-Hawaii would be problem if the cruise begins in Seattle or Alaska and ended in Hawaii.  If the cruise began in Vancouver that would not be a violation either.

Can be very confusing for sure!

Hi StrartrainDD, thank you for clarifying and I only noticed your reply once I had replied to Tom.

I agree, it is very confusing (for me anyway !) and even our Travel Agent had to double check, and it wasn't until we got written conformation from RCCL that we sealed the deal.  

Thanks again.

Hey thanks for idea about an app.  I downloaded one on my phone today....3 years, 2 months, 27 days to go. ( Best guess).  I do want to go part time 2 years prior but that remains to be seen.  I’m ready tomorrow.  I’ve been a hospital nurse for 40+ years and am so done.  I’m trying all kinds of things to stay positive including using all my vacation time for cruising or seeing Grand-babies,  but as some have said here, I’m burned out. I actually still love caring for my patients ( newborn intensive care) but the rest of it ( vacation rules, schedule rules, taking call shifts, floating to other units, getting up at 4:30 a.m. for a long commute and self centered parents) have taken all the fun out of it. 

Edited by cruiselvr04

Today is the day I did it.  Sent my retirement notice in, I did.  June 3 will be my last at the office.

54 days to boarding the Rotterdam in FLL which will take us TO Rotterdam, so we can then "Tiptoe through the tulips."

My retirement date is June 3.  So that would be 112 days from today.

How many working days?  59 not including today.

1 hour ago, StartrainDD said:

Today is the day I did it.  Sent my retirement notice in, I did.  June 3 will be my last at the office.

54 days to boarding the Rotterdam in FLL which will take us TO Rotterdam, so we can then "Tiptoe through the tulips."

CONGRATULATIONS:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:.  My last day was Dec 31st and truthfully, I have not missed it one bit!!!!!!!!!!!

On 2/7/2020 at 12:07 PM, cruiselvr04 said:

Hey thanks for idea about an app.  I downloaded one on my phone today....3 years, 2 months, 27 days to go. ( Best guess).  I do want to go part time 2 years prior but that remains to be seen.  I’m ready tomorrow.  I’ve been a hospital nurse for 40+ years and am so done.  I’m trying all kinds of things to stay positive including using all my vacation time for cruising or seeing Grand-babies,  but as some have said here, I’m burned out. I actually still love caring for my patients ( newborn intensive care) but the rest of it ( vacation rules, schedule rules, taking call shifts, floating to other units, getting up at 4:30 a.m. for a long commute and self centered parents) have taken all the fun out of it. 

On 2/7/2020 at 12:07 PM, cruiselvr04 said:

I had to look twice to make sure this wasn’t one of my posts! I’ve been a nurse for42 years and feel the same way about a lot of things. I’m in a level 3 NICU but since I’ve been there so long I don’t have to float, they don’t change my schedule and I only have to work 4 weekend shifts in a 6 week schedule. I get to choose one holiday from my rotation to take off. We don’t take call anymore. Honestly the no float perk is the best. I’d trade everything else for that if I had to. I hope to retire in 2 years 4 months, Lord willing.

You are fortunate.   I work the same number of holiday shifts as a new grad, work 8 weekend shifts in 8 weeks, get my schedule changed on their whim and take call 4 times in 8 weeks. We float to newborn about 4 times a year.

I'm also in a level 3 that's very busy and stressful.  I'm so done.   I have to coach myself up every morning to go in. 

Good luck to you and hope you can retire as you've planned. 3 more years....

17 hours ago, StartrainDD said:

Congratulations.  So much to look forward to . 

16 hours ago, Lois R said:

CONGRATULATIONS:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:.  My last day was Dec 31st and truthfully, I have not missed it one bit!!!!!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, Von & John said:

@StartrainDD

Congratulations!!!

That is exciting News 🍾🍾🍾

40 minutes ago, ronpes said:

Congratulations.  So much to look forward to . 

Thank you all for the good wishes!

We are excited and it is a relief in many ways.

Looking forward to not having the alarm clock go off at 5:10 every weekday morning!

Lois, so happy everything is working out for you!

All those still planning - hang in there and save as much as you can while still working.  Measure your savings in "Cruises!"

I noticed that several people are retiring. Some people have mentioned what their jobs were and their age at retirement. I am a teacher and have enjoyed teaching but I will be 68 in a few days.  I told my principal that I wanted to work but not have to spend my evenings and weekends correcting papers, doing lesson plans and report cards. In the last couple of years we have had many meetings after school.   Add in lunch duty and line duty at dismissal. Each teacher has to also keep their room  and hallway exciting with student work and other seasonal and subject area information. I like the last part because I like to showcase the students’ work.   Next year, 4 hours in the morning seeing 3 or4 classes to check out books and a short library lesson for some classes. Then I get to go home or run errands. I will have to go back to get my grandchildren ( their mother is a teacher in another school) but I will not have all the work to take home or have to come at6:30 am to get school work done.  

To to the nurses here -  my son is an or nurse and his wife works with kids who have cancer. They both have 19 years in. They have a hard time taking more than a few days of vacation at a time.  They did cruise with us once on a 7day but it took a lot for them to get the time off.

On 2/13/2020 at 6:24 AM, cruiselvr04 said:

You are fortunate.   I work the same number of holiday shifts as a new grad, work 8 weekend shifts in 8 weeks, get my schedule changed on their whim and take call 4 times in 8 weeks. We float to newborn about 4 times a year.

I'm also in a level 3 that's very busy and stressful.  I'm so done.   I have to coach myself up every morning to go in. 

Good luck to you and hope you can retire as you've planned. 3 more years....

I have to say that our unit tries very hard to honor the “senior” staff. I got an unexpected call this morning before my alarm that I was  being placed on standby today! Nice but always waiting for the phone to ring since it’s usually one admission or one internal,agency nurse being pulled  to make them have to call me in😝

Well my last quarter as a fulltime teacher is changing.  We have been off for a week and will be off this week.  DC closed schools until the end of April so we will probably do the same.  I am in Montgomery County Maryland which is right next to DC.  So we will go to teaching online. New ways to check on students.  Luckily I only have 14 students. 

When I put my papers in it was for 30 days and the very next day I re-did my paperwork effective on the same day. So I guess there was no count for me. That was 10 years ago. No regrets