New Luggage Tag question

clayb

Hello, all.

I have a question in regards to the luggage tags that I just printed from my online check-in page.

This is my first HAL cruise in a while and the luggage tags have changed. The old tags used to have an adhesive strip on them.

Being I printed them on my home computer, I would have to carry a stapler or a roll of tape to attach the tags to my luggage at the FLL airport. I do not want to apply them before I leave home in case they get torn off in transit.

How and when do you all attach the luggage tags?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Clay

Some people are planning on punching holes in them and using tie-wraps.

You could just fasten them on by whatever means you like, wherever you like, and if they are torn off before you get to the pier you can get a new one from a porter. (On which he writes just your last name and cabin number.)

The stevedores have plenty of tags. When you arrive, they'll hand you as many as you want. All you have to enter is name and cabin number. Takes but a few seconds.

We have cruised Maasdam three cruises since they stopped sending luggage tags and it seemed to work out fine.

After spending ages carefully laminating and punching holes in our new and improved luggage tags a few weeks ago, I found that the HAL desk at the Quebec City Airport was handing out the old type tags that everyone prefers. I just got a handful of them and placed them on our luggage when we arrived at our hotel. I would guess that the HAL reception area at any airport would have similar tags so it would be worth trying.

I just miss the adhesive type tags. It was so much easier.

I don't recall HAL ever having the adhesive type tags but admittedly we took a break from cruising from 1998 until 2004 so they may have during that time. Celebrity uses, and at least once used, an adhesive type tag that they handed out at the cruise terminals. They were a lot like the ones airlines use today. Of course Celebrity went to edocs years ago so I don't know if they mail out tags anymore or not.

It is good to know that tags are available either at the cruise terminal or at the airport HAL desk. This is especially helpful for those who don't have a cabin assignment until the last minute or don't have the resources to prepare tags.

I just miss the adhesive type tags. It was so much easier.

I don't recall HAL ever having the adhesive type tags but admittedly we took a break from cruising from 1998 until 2004 so they may have during that time.
We just started with HAL in 2002, and have never seen any adhesive tags ... just ones that attached with flimsy elastics for most of the last seven years. We did see adhesive ones on RCCL, though.

I always had the ones with the stringy cords too. This time, I went the laminating route and will use cable ties at the pier. Perhaps an alternative to carrying tape would be to bring some blank white mailing labels. Put them in your pocket and then use that instead of tape.

I agree. Wait until you get to the port and get a "real" tag. HAL does not have a desk in all airports -- sometimes it is just reps and their clipboards. Seems a bit much to expect them to tote a stapler in their pocket all day.

The airport reps might have tags, if not, the porters at the pier certainly will.

Just wait til you get to port and use a REAL luggage tag---the porters have PLENTY! There's no need to do a "craft" project!

But the crafts project is a lot of fun for us AR types. Part of our planning and then planning and then planning some more routine. :D Of course the truth is that our crafts projects will have a pretty short life in terms of their usefulness from the terminal to our cabins. :)

But obviously, an added cost for the cruise line.

But seriously...how much are they saving but not including luggage tags. I'm all in favor of online documents but this whole luggage tag craft project is a bit much for me. When you spend 11-12 hours a day at work doesn't leave much time to do the things I want to do...never mind this. Yeah....I know...you can get them at the pier. I'm an organized person....I like to have things taken care of before I leave.

But seriously...how much are they saving but not including luggage tags.
My guess is that the main savings come from elimination of shipping of the old packets. (Yes, mailing a few bag tags would be cheaper than that.)

I see printing and folding tags as a trivial task. I waste far more time every day doing the daily crossword puzzle! :)

Archived