Not Honoring Prices on Site for Upgrades!

elvisbuff

I was in the process of trying to upgrade from an OV to a balcony, and was working with my TA. The difference between what NCL is currently showing for a balcony on their site and what I paid for the OV is $240.

My TA just called me to let me know that NCL will not let me upgrade for that price and that the offer currently shown on their site is for new reservations only. They will, however, let me upgrade for $800 plus. That is a difference of $600 plus for someone who is already booked with them and is definitely going on the cruise because I have already paid and it is too late to cancel. Instead, they are trying to get a new customer that they may or may not get. I didn't think there would be a problem upgrading because of what I have read on this site.

My TA, and her supervisor spoke to NCL and tried to reason with them and they refused to budge. Both of them are very frustrated, surprised, and don't understand why NCL won't upgrade me since they wouldn't be losing any money. I guess NCL is playing hardball and is trying out a new method of filling the ship. Not sure where this is going to get them for repeat customers.

I was so excited because this was my first cruise and was waiting for the prices to drop just in case I might upgrade. I am very disappointed and frustrated!!:(

Has this happened to anyone else? What do you all think? Do you have any tips? Feeling so saaaad....

Thanks,

Helen

There are numerous threads on this topic. The problem is that you're past the final payment date. At this point, if the ship isn't fully booked, NCL always offers last-minute discounts to fill the ship. The last-minute deals are usually offered only to new bookings. If you've been frequenting this forum, you should know that you won't be able to take advantage of such a deal. However, if you're persistent (and polite), you might be able to get NCL to give you an OBC. Good luck.

Most sales are for new bookings only. Its not only NCL, all the cruiselines may have restrictions. I'm surprised your TA did not understand this....it is standard in the industry. You were happy with the price that you booked, so don't let this ruin your vacation.

The cruises lower prices to fill rooms, not to lose money on current bookings..doesn't make good business sense to do that. You have an option of when you want to book, if you wait for a sale, you may not see one, and you may not get the room/dining choices booking late.

If you do a search on new bookings, or sales you will see that this is nothing new. Remember cc is only a very small % of actual cruisers, so what may sound like it happens alot, may not be true at all.

I was so excited because this was my first cruise and was waiting for the prices to drop just in case I might upgrade. I am very disappointed and frustrated!!:(

First of all... you should NEVER book a category you don't want with the INTENTION of upgrading because of lower prices... far better to book the category you want when you feel the price is right. Lower prices can't always translate into getting a better room.

Secondly... you didn't mention, but is this AFTER final payment date, or before? Rules can change depending on when you are requesting this type of upsell ( you aren't getting an upgrade, you are requesting to buy into a higher category - upsell.)

This seems like it may be a little unusual, as dealing direct with NCL, I have never been refused an upsell to a higher category if i was willing to pay the difference in the published fare at the time of the call. Did your original booking include OBC? If so, that may be the issue... Re-booking into another cabin will affect your OBC if any.

All in all... why are you sad? You are still going on a cruise, no? Isn't that something to be happy about???

First of all... you should NEVER book a category you don't want with the INTENTION of upgrading because of lower prices... far better to book the category you want when you feel the price is right. Lower prices can't always translate into getting a better room.

Secondly... you didn't mention, but is this AFTER final payment date, or before? Rules can change depending on when you are requesting this type of upsell ( you aren't getting an upgrade, you are requesting to buy into a higher category - upsell.)

This seems like it may be a little unusual, as dealing direct with NCL, I have never been refused an upsell to a higher category if i was willing to pay the difference in the published fare at the time of the call. Did your original booking include OBC? If so, that may be the issue... Re-booking into another cabin will affect your OBC if any.

All in all... why are you sad? You are still going on a cruise, no? Isn't that something to be happy about???

From what the OP is saying it is a price for new bookings only..not an upsell.

From what the OP is saying it is a price for new bookings only..not an upsell.

That's exactly the point - they are already booked. They cannot cancel without penalties because it's after final payment is due. It is an upsell, because they were already sold an OV.

I didn't think there would be a problem upgrading because of what I have read on this site.

Then you must have read that after final payment there are, sometimes, price reductions to try to fill the ship. And you would also have read that these are for new bookings only that you as a "paid" passenger do not qualify for.

PE

1. I did not book a category that I did not think I would be happy with to start with.

2. I will not let this ruin my vacation. I have never had a bad vacation even when my car broke down on the way to disneyland in the middle of nowhere going up the grapevine. Or when my husband and I and our 2 kids were jam packed into our 1981 toyota corolla with all of our camping equipment and no room to move on our way to clearlake. Both were great:)

3. I have already paid in full and cannot cancel without penalties.

4. I will not give up on this because I am always persistent and polite.

5. Sad only because I didn't get this upgrade for the price I was looking at and my TA and her supe seemed to think it was doable. My TA works for a very large company.

6. I do read this forum, but guess I missed the posts on this topic

thanks for all of your help:)

1. I did not book a category that I did not think I would be happy with to start with.

2. I will not let this ruin my vacation. I have never had a bad vacation even when my car broke down on the way to disneyland in the middle of nowhere going up the grapevine. Or when my husband and I and our 2 kids were jam packed into our 1981 toyota corolla with all of our camping equipment and no room to move on our way to clearlake. Both were great:)

5. Sad only because I didn't get this upgrade for the price I was looking at and my TA and her supe seemed to think it was doable. My TA works for a very large company.

Have you been ON any of these supposed calls your TA made? NCL recently changed a bunch of their staff and I doubt the new people have a clue yet.

also once you are in the two week frame IF cabins are still available your TA can call the reassignment desk and ask what is available and ask for a deal.

As to the upgrade. If it is a SALE then it may well be new bookings only, if it is a PRICE DROP then you should be able to get either the upgrade or OBC if you keep calling or in your case your TA keeps calling, trouble is you don't really know if they are bothering to call or not.

Many times they say they have or will and then tell you nothing is available or they can't do anything.

I know the TA's on here don't want to hear this but it is true non the less, SOME TA's Do this.

Ask them for a three way conference call and see what happens.

Have you been ON any of these supposed calls your TA made? NCL recently changed a bunch of their staff and I doubt the new people have a clue yet.

also once you are in the two week frame IF cabins are still available your TA can call the reassignment desk and ask what is available and ask for a deal.

As to the upgrade. If it is a SALE then it may well be new bookings only, if it is a PRICE DROP then you should be able to get either the upgrade or OBC if you keep calling or in your case your TA keeps calling, trouble is you don't really know if they are bothering to call or not.

Many times they say they have or will and then tell you nothing is available or they can't do anything.

I know the TA's on here don't want to hear this but it is true non the less, SOME TA's Do this.

Ask them for a three way conference call and see what happens.

No, I have not been on any of the calls. She promised to call me if anything changes.

Thanks for letting me know about this the two weeks out deal. Since this is the slow time of year, there is a good chance that there might be something left and I will be calling my TA again.

Do you work with a TA or directly with NCL?

There is obviously NO hard and fast rule, and what rules there are can be stretched with a willing agent.

2 weeks ago, well after final payment, I requested my TA contact NCL because a stern balcony one category above my booked category became available. The difference in price between the 2 categories posted on all the sites (including NCL's) on this day was $100...it was a BB to a BA (even thought they are considered "better," stern balcony BA's price the same as any other BA's). There was no sale going on, but the prices were coming down then consistently for most categories. My agent called back with an okay for the upsell - and for $79 (rather than the posted $100).

So positive outcomes are possible -- but I have no idea what makes one thing possible and another not. I definitely trust my TA to make contact when she says she will.

I am glad you are taking this with a grain of salt and not MAD! Try a bit more, but don't get worked up.

As to getting better rates on either an existing cabin, or another cabin on sale, it gets talked about to death on this forum. Final payment is pretty much final booking. done. over.

Their are reasons they would rather sell this to another new passenger vs selling to you. Their job is to sail 100% full, nothing less. Inventory management.

You can try all you want, theres no harm in it, in the end though, as most posters have said, you might be lucky to get an OBC if ajything at all.

No need to be sad, you said it yourself, you booked a great vacation that you know will be magical regardless of accomadation.

Really think you might want to rethink your T/A though. They book lots of vacations, both cruises and land destinations, sure, there are some cruise only ones out there, but plain and simple, the majorty (large majority) are absolutely clueless about the different nuances and quirks in the cruising world/industry. This being one of them.

Find someone who knows what there doing or of course you can always research and do it on your own.

Remember, bigger, does not always mean better :)

Were always here to help......

I was in the process of trying to upgrade from an OV to a balcony, and was working with my TA. The difference between what NCL is currently showing for a balcony on their site and what I paid for the OV is $240.

My TA just called me to let me know that NCL will not let me upgrade for that price and that the offer currently shown on their site is for new reservations only. They will, however, let me upgrade for $800 plus. That is a difference of $600 plus for someone who is already booked with them and is definitely going on the cruise because I have already paid and it is too late to cancel. Instead, they are trying to get a new customer that they may or may not get. I didn't think there would be a problem upgrading because of what I have read on this site.

I wanted to try to do the same thing, but my TA won't even contact NCL to ask what the price would be or to let them know that I'd be willing to pay $$ for an upsell. I'll go on my cruise and be perfectly happy in the cabin I have, but now have a bit of extra cash and thought it should be easy enough to switch up. (I successfully did this last time with no problem at all.) The agent will be sorry in the long run, though, because i'm planning to book a two-week European cruise in a minisuite later this year after I return from my upcoming cruise. That's a commission she'll never see.

Don't give up yet. Last September we were booked on the Dawn for a cruise and my brother had booked an inside cabin. 2 weeks before the cruise, prices fell so that Ocean View's were cheaper then what he had paid. Of course they would not refund any money but they willingly moved him up to an OV.

So, even tho your situation is slightly different, keep trying. Keep watching the prices keep calling!

Good luck and have a wonderful time!

CG

First the cruise lines face those who want free upgrades. Secondly the cruise lines are facing those who want discount upsells, especially after the final payment date. Simply put, the cruise lines can't accommodate everyone with either a free upgrade or a discount upsell. There is a limit to the number of cabins aboard. Someone has to settle for the lowest cabin aboard.

When you bought your cruise you were happy with the price or you wouldn't have booked the cruise.

Reducing the price of everyone's cruise two hundred dollars per person leaves cruise lines with a serious revenue shortage, even if they could please everyone. Two hundred dollars times 4,000 passengers is eight hundred thousand dollars, almost a million dollars. Times 52 weeks this total of forty one million six hundred thousand dollars is more than what a ten ship cruise line's profit is per year, and that is with one ship. Multiply that number by ten ships.....

Passengers are being unreasonable in their demands.... Simply put, no cruise line can afford to discount every cruiser two hundred dollars and turn a profit....

Somebody has to pay full price....

First the cruise lines face those who want free upgrades. Secondly the cruise lines are facing those who want discount upsells, especially after the final payment date. Simply put, the cruise lines can't accommodate everyone with either a free upgrade or a discount upsell. There is a limit to the number of cabins aboard. Someone has to settle for the lowest cabin aboard.

When you bought your cruise you were happy with the price or you wouldn't have booked the cruise.

Reducing the price of everyone's cruise two hundred dollars per person leaves cruise lines with a serious revenue shortage, even if they could please everyone. Two hundred dollars times 4,000 passengers is eight hundred thousand dollars, almost a million dollars. Multiply that number per 52 cruises per year per ship is one hundred and sixty million dollars. That total is more than what a ten ship cruise line's profit is per year, and that is with one ship. Multiply that number by ten ships.....

Passengers are being unreasonable in their demands....

okay, thanks for your input. I agree, someone has to pay full price but I almost never do on anything and almost everyone I know likes a bargain. By the way, I didn't make any demands:)

Reducing the price of everyone's cruise two hundred dollars per person leaves cruise lines with a serious revenue shortage, even if they could please everyone. Two hundred dollars times 4,000 passengers is eight hundred thousand dollars, almost a million dollars. Times 52 weeks this total of forty one million six hundred thousand dollars is more than what a ten ship cruise line's profit is per year, and that is with one ship. Multiply that number by ten ships.....

Passengers are being unreasonable in their demands.... Simply put, no cruise line can afford to discount every cruiser two hundred dollars and turn a profit....

However if you noticed the OP is sailing on a ship that isnt selling well even with recent price drops. I'm pretty sure that many will be afforded the opportunity for some upsells and upgrades, otherwise, all their staff will be pretty upset when the ship is 70% full & they've lost out on 35% in tipping (cruiselines try to get to 105% capacity) not to mention 35% of potential passengers that they can't turn more profit on onboard.

If you want the lowest price, book late. Its just that simple....

Of course, when everyone starts booking a cruise during the last week before a cruise, the dynamic price won't be as discounted, would it?

It would be great if I could book at the last minute to get the best deal but unfortunately, I must plan ahead because of my job. Especially for a 13 night cruise. Still looking for a deal though.:)

Yesterday, I seen that the price went down on my cruise at the end of the month, errr, Dawns Halloween cruise. I called my TA and, asked him very nicely, if I can do that.... He said he was very busy and will call me back, bout 2 hours later, he said he was sorry and was going home... But, he wanted to know what I wanted to do.. I told him, go from inside KK to, a BE... So, for $90.00 he said NCL will let me upgrade, hmmm, or is that an upsell??? That is $45.00 a piece for my mom an me... Then, I wanted to know what room I would have, he did not know... But to call him back on Friday, he had off Thursday... I had to know what I got!!! So called NCL... They would not tell me a thing... The gentleman was so very nice to me when telling me this, all I could do was tell him thank you... Asked him if it was in the back of the ship.... He said, he guesses he could look but not tell me what number.... Anyway, he said it was not assigned yet.... So, I must wait... SO EXCITED!!!! Sometimes it pays to be really nice.... Good luck to you in trying to upgrade..... Barb.

True, but then if there is a passegner with a paid ticket after the final date, allowing that passenger to pay the difference between that fare and the published fare for the higher category cabin costs the cruise line nothing. At best, someone is going to get that cabin, either a passenger who upgrades or a passenger who books late) and both will pay the same fare (and there's really no reason why the cruise line could not resell the vacated cabin).

What it ultimately comes down to is who the cruise line wishes to offer the "better" cabin to, the passenger already booked or a new passenger who has not booked in advance. While there are probably good reasons for either, my sense would be that it would be better to give the advance booker the first chance to pay the fare and upgrade, if only because the cruise line would prefer to have passengers book in advance rather than wait and book at the last minute. If passengers perceive they will be at a disadvantage by booking early, those who have felxibility may well choose to wait and see what happens, and a drop of even 10% in prebooked cabins would probably be a cause for great concern to the cruise line. But when the discounts are limited to new bookings (as they are here, apparently), I guess the cruise line sees it differently.

Archived