Not Honoring Prices on Site for Upgrades!

elvisbuff

I don't know, I don't think "losers" would make the investments in the new and upgraded ships most cruise lines are doing. Depsite creative accounting showing losses or r lowered proftis, I'd bet most cruise lines are not doing all that badly. It's just that, like most businesses, they're trying to squeeze the extra revenue out of their investments.

I was in the process of trying to upgrade from an OV to a balcony, and was working with my TA. The difference between what NCL is currently showing for a balcony on their site and what I paid for the OV is $240.

My TA just called me to let me know that NCL will not let me upgrade for that price and that the offer currently shown on their site is for new reservations only. They will, however, let me upgrade for $800 plus. That is a difference of $600 plus for someone who is already booked with them and is definitely going on the cruise because I have already paid and it is too late to cancel. Instead, they are trying to get a new customer that they may or may not get. I didn't think there would be a problem upgrading because of what I have read on this site.

My TA, and her supervisor spoke to NCL and tried to reason with them and they refused to budge. Both of them are very frustrated, surprised, and don't understand why NCL won't upgrade me since they wouldn't be losing any money. I guess NCL is playing hardball and is trying out a new method of filling the ship. Not sure where this is going to get them for repeat customers.

I was so excited because this was my first cruise and was waiting for the prices to drop just in case I might upgrade. I am very disappointed and frustrated!!:(

Has this happened to anyone else? What do you all think? Do you have any tips? Feeling so saaaad....

Thanks,

Helen

If it is for new bookings that is promo and no, you can not take advantage of it. I would think your TA would know that. I know it is disappointing, but NCL isn't the only company that does this. When specials are run for new bookings only, that is exactly what they mean. I agree it sucks, but it is the way they work.

Nita

No, I have not been on any of the calls. She promised to call me if anything changes.

Thanks for letting me know about this the two weeks out deal. Since this is the slow time of year, there is a good chance that there might be something left and I will be calling my TA again.

Do you work with a TA or directly with NCL?

OP.. I just want to say that as others have said, do not get discouraged. It is difficult to know the difference, and you probably never would unless you found it in the small fine print some where on their website. However as others have said, the price you saw was a sale or promo, not a price drop. And although it seems the same to everyone, the sales and promos are for new bookings only. This is what they usually do shortly after final payment is due. Hang tight as the prices will actually drop and will be the actual price of the stateroom, no sale or promo. That is when you can have your TA call and get you switched to the other room.

One word though that if someone else has mentioned I missed it and I'm sorry if I did. From my understanding you can only get the next level of stateroom that you are looking for is what you paid is now more than what that level of stateroom is. If you want to pay for the difference in the stateroom you have and the stateroom you want, they do base it off of the fare of the "new" stateroom at the time you booked your "old" stateroom. So if at the time there was a $800.00 difference from an OV to a balcony room, it will be that cost for you not matter what the price drop is currently. I may be wrong about that, but that is my understanding. If the price of that balcony drops to equal to or what you paid for the OV, then they will move you.

OP.. I just want to say that as others have said, do not get discouraged. It is difficult to know the difference, and you probably never would unless you found it in the small fine print some where on their website. However as others have said, the price you saw was a sale or promo, not a price drop. And although it seems the same to everyone, the sales and promos are for new bookings only. This is what they usually do shortly after final payment is due. Hang tight as the prices will actually drop and will be the actual price of the stateroom, no sale or promo. That is when you can have your TA call and get you switched to the other room.

One word though that if someone else has mentioned I missed it and I'm sorry if I did. From my understanding you can only get the next level of stateroom that you are looking for is what you paid is now more than what that level of stateroom is. If you want to pay for the difference in the stateroom you have and the stateroom you want, they do base it off of the fare of the "new" stateroom at the time you booked your "old" stateroom. So if at the time there was a $800.00 difference from an OV to a balcony room, it will be that cost for you not matter what the price drop is currently. I may be wrong about that, but that is my understanding. If the price of that balcony drops to equal to or what you paid for the OV, then they will move you.

I called and got my room upgraded yesterday, the original pricing was $399 OV $579 Balcony... balcony has dropped to $449 NCL only charged me the $50 difference.

I was very sweet on the phone:D so that may have been the difference... your results may vary

I called and got my room upgraded yesterday, the original pricing was $399 OV $579 Balcony... balcony has dropped to $449 NCL only charged me the $50 difference.

I was very sweet on the phone:D so that may have been the difference... your results may vary

My TA handled the situation and I was very polite to my TA. There is no reason to be any thing other...

Elvisbuff

FYI for the future. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity will give you credit for price drops after final payment. It comes in the form of on board credit, if you dont use it you get it put on your credit card. Have a great time on the Gem.

Archived