What to do in Cozumel and Grand Cayman?

bogs1009

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do in Cozumel and Grand Cayman? I have been to both ports before and have done the Sting Ray's previously in GC. I am in my upper 20's and will be traveling with my gf. Is it worth doing Sting Ray's again and snorkle in GC? What do you suggest for Cozumel? Has anyone down the clear bottom kayak and how was it?

Thanks!

We just got back from the Western Caribbean. In Grand Cayman, we booked directly with Native Way. If your GF hasn't been there you definitely need to take her. They have a Stingray/starfish snorkle that's alot of fun. We then still had plenty of time to shop around the port and have a beer (or 3) at Margaritaville.

In Cozumel we went to Mr. Sanchos and drank (too much) tequila. Actually, the food was very good and the beach was alot of fun. But oh the margaritas were terriffic.

Are you going to Jamaica as well?

I was thinking that I have to take her to Sting Ray city and the tour that has the starfish snorkle looks like a nice change of pace from just a normal snorkle. How was native way tours?

What is Mr. Sanchos? Is there a beach there as well?

We are going to Jamaica. We decided on a tour with Dunns River, River Tubing and Site seeing through Fern Gully with either Phil Layfette Tours or Mark Tours.

Thanks for your suggestions

We really enjoyed Native Way. The group we had was very small (11 people). We got to Sting Ray City before all the ship excursions. It was a great day.

Mr. Sanchos is a beach that offers an all inclusive option. I think it was $45 each with everything included. The food was very good. You can also order off the menu if you're not a big drinker.

In jamaica we booked Duns river falls and another tour with Marva Shaw (know jamaica dot com). Her son, Javia, gave us a WONDERFUL tour.

Haiti we got off the ship, looked around and got back on. Not a big fan

On GC if you don't do the sting rays again there is also the tour to Hell and the turtle farm. If the beach is more your thing you can go to 7 Mile Beach.

At Cozumel we have done the shopping thing and had lunch in Pancho's Backyard where they serve Margaritas that take two hands to hold. One of them did me in. It was either number 6 or 7, I can't remember? We have done the semi-submersible tour of the coral reefs, and I have done the horseback ride at the ranch. The next time we go there (March) we plan on doing the Tulum tour.

I very HIGHLY recommend the sting ray excursion with this outfit:

www.grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/Stingray_City_Buccaneer_Catamaran.htm

The Buccaneer is a smaller vessel that takes fewer people out. You won't be fighting for space at the sand bar. They make three stops. The first (at least for us, perhaps they reverse order at times), was a small reef for snorkeling. This was nice, but only a taste of what was to follow. The second stop was the sting rays, which you've done before. Benefit of doing it on the Buccaneer is the smaller group of people. The third stop was at the barrier reef, which was absolutely amazing - most gorgeous place I've ever dived.

I booked this again on a recent visit to Cayman, but the weather caused the trip to be cancelled. I got a full refund of my deposit - no problem.

There are such an unlimited number of things to do in Cozumel; it really depends on what you're looking for. On a recent cruise, we booked a day at a small resort, just down from Chakanaab Park, called Playa Uvas. You reserve on-line because they limit the number of visiters per day. We didn't have to pay until we got there, however. Our day included a wonderful lunch, full-service open bar and a trip out in their clear kayaks. You can build your own package. They have snorkeling and massage services. They also have a pool for your use. We found it very relaxing and quiet. The food was great and the drinks...well, our waiter never let our glasses get empty!! We loved it.

ENJOY!!

In Grand Cayman, we have done the waverunner excursion through Island Marketing 3 times now. I have also been informed we will be doing it forever. :) You leave from Grand Caymanian Resort and have access to their pool before and after - they make great frozen drinks! Your small group will take waverunners with guides to Stingray City, then either go to a snorkle location or Rum Point (vote for Rum Point). Rum Point is gorgeous and we enjoy getting a drink and a snack. The waverunners are a blast on the open sea and you can generally go pretty fast - the guides are very good about keeping things in line and trying not to allow people to go too slow and hold everyone up. I can't recommend this highly enough! Plus you will still have time to do other things like visit Margaritaville or various places.

I also recommend Nachi Cocom in Cozumel. Go through Island Marketing to make your reservations.

In Grand Cayman, it is very easy to rent a car there and drive to Rum Point if you just want to be a beach bum all day. That was one of the best things we've ever done there. If you want to do the stingray thing then I would go with Nativeway and then they will take you to Rum Point for lunch and some beach time.

Our family (4) adults just got back from sailing on Liberty. We had the same itinerary. We went to Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel (cab ride I believe 8 pp). As you get off the ship there is board with cab prices. There is a beach which is not crowded, great food, drinks, lounge chairs (nice), tables with umbrellas, a small pool and little crafts. They don't bother you either. People from the bar come take your orders at the beach. The restaurant and bar are very large and open with a thatch roof. Very nice, clean and great food. Very authentic. At the beach there couldn't have been more than 100 people if that. Not crowded at all. Plenty of nice loungers. We stayed all day and then enjoyed a nice lunch. Check this out. You won't be sorry. We asked our dining staff the best place and they said Mr. Sanchos if you want to get away from the crowds.

In Grand Cayman, we just walked around town. It was raining that day and there were 2 other ships in port. It was crowded. We aren't into turtles or stingrays.

Have fun. I have over a year to wait for our next cruise on Oasis.:)

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do in Cozumel and Grand Cayman? I have been to both ports before and have done the Sting Ray's previously in GC. I am in my upper 20's and will be traveling with my gf. Is it worth doing Sting Ray's again and snorkle in GC? What do you suggest for Cozumel? Has anyone down the clear bottom kayak and how was it?

Thanks!

These are all great suggestions! I'm looking for a total beach day on a great beach. Mr. Sanchos sounds good. Does it have to be booked in advance or can you just grap a cab? Are the cabs safe? I've read some bad things about them in Jamaica. Also wonder if it's safe to drink off the ship? Sounds like it is, but don't want to take a chance of Montezumas revenge....:eek:Thanks for the info....:)

PS: Regarding the clear kayak, that excursion is offered through a number of places - the cruise line and on-site excursion companies. They ALL go to the same resort I mentioned, Playa Uvas, and it's a lot better deal to just book direct and take the cab. The packages they offer are customizable. I believe the one you could purchase through the ship included both snorkeling and the kayaks. We have our own snorkel gear, so we only paid for the kayaks and we snorkeled on our own there.

We love kayaking - even own a couple of our own boats. The see-through bit sounds better than it really is. We loved the resort, but the kayaking was take-it-or-leave-it to be honest.

These are all great suggestions! I'm looking for a total beach day on a great beach. Mr. Sanchos sounds good. Does it have to be booked in advance or can you just grap a cab? Are the cabs safe? I've read some bad things about them in Jamaica. Also wonder if it's safe to drink off the ship? Sounds like it is, but don't want to take a chance of Montezumas revenge....:eek:Thanks for the info....:)

In my experience, Cozumel is very safe - at least in the areas you'll be going. Nothing like Jamaica where you need to be more careful. You should avoid the local water in Mexico. Resorts, restaurants and bars use filtered water - not to worry. Have never gotten sick there and have visited numerous times.

Cabs are regulated in Cozumel. The fares will be posted at the cab stands. You pay what they post - period.

The cabs are safe. When you get past the dock, there will be someone there to match you with a cab. I believe the cab was $15 for up to 6 people. You just tell them where you want to go. If you go to Mr. Sanchos, just walk up and tell them what you're interested in doing. I'd guess there were 50 people there the whole day we were there. no crowd and Gabriel our waiter was VERY attentive. We'll definitely go back there next time.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Printingchick, thanks for the info on the kayaks. I had a feeling that was going to be the case which dissapoints me but I'd rather now have low expectations going in if I choose to do that. Do you remember the price? I tried Googling PLaya Uvas but the site is down.

Xcaret in Cozumel (actually on the mainland, but they ferry you over), was a lot of fun. You float down an underground river for about 40 minutes, and end up at the beach. You can swim over to the dolphin show area, and watch the dolpins underwater. They have a lot of other animals and activities there as well.

In Grand Cayman we always take a short walk to the Sunset House. You can snorkle or dive right off the resort, they have a small beginners "tank" or will hook you up with a dive buddy if you don't have one along! You can rent gear if you don't have it along, and they have great food anda friendly staff. Many locals lunch here! When you depart the ship, take a right and walk about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile, and you will arrive at the resort on the right hand side. In Cozumel, we always frequent Mr. Sanchos!!! You can't go wrong!

bogs - I always just google Island Marketing - then click on Grand Cayman and the tour is Sting Ray City Waverunners - I seem to recall it's the only one they offer with Waverunners. We've had friends do it twice with us - and they have always been so glad we recommended it.

We also use Island Marketing to book Nachi Cocom in Cozumel. All inclusive $49. Plenty of food, all you can drink, a pool. warm tub (I refuse to call it hot ;)), great clean beach and not too many people. Paradise Beach is also a great beach but if there are a lot of ships in port, it gets really crowded. Nachi is limited to 100.

We love Nachi too! Its a great place and we are already booked to go back.

In cayman we are also looking at an Island Marketing Tour call Stingray City & Rum Point Beach Break I can't find any reviews for it so it must be new I guess. I'm glad to hear you all say how great Rum Point is, the pictures look incredible.

If anyone has seen a review for this tour, please let me know.

Thank you

I was thinking that I have to take her to Sting Ray city and the tour that has the starfish snorkle looks like a nice change of pace from just a normal snorkle. How was native way tours?

What is Mr. Sanchos? Is there a beach there as well?

We are going to Jamaica. We decided on a tour with Dunns River, River Tubing and Site seeing through Fern Gully with either Phil Layfette Tours or Mark Tours.

Thanks for your suggestions

we always go to Mr Sanchos.

http://mrsanchos.com/

Nice relaxing day with good food and drinks.

We have usually grabbed a cab and gone and paid for everything ala carte but have found this place that we will be using when we go in December.

Sorry guess that was a no-no.

Bill

wgc41@yahoo.com

Archived