Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Giantfan13

Vasa Museum

We did a Baltic cruise on the Jewel, mid

august, this past year. I got so much info from these boards, which helped to make deciding where to go and what to see so much easier. I would like to make one recommendation, make sure you do NOT miss the Vasa Museum. I know most people have it already planned into their itinerary, but be forewarned, it is not a place you can just pop in, see the ship, and move on.

First, I ahve to say, I am not a museum type of person. I am, what I just spoke of, some one who will pop in, see the sights, and move on to the next venue. That was our plan when we went to Vasa. The Jewel's stay in Stockholm is quite short, and there is so much to see, so we figured we would see the ship, take a few pictures and get on our way to Gamla Stan. It didn't quite work out that way. This Museum is quite different from any other you might have been in. To say my wife and I were enthralled with the Vasa was putting it mildly. From the 1/2 hour movie, to the free tours that they do, the entire place is an experience that I will long remember, and will enjoy.

For any that don't know, the movie is how they raised the ship and very interesting. there are 3 levels to the museum and the ship itself, is huge. And for camera epople, you can use flash, but the lighting is VERY low level and very hard to get auto focus camera's to focus right. Even with the flash, the place is so huge, the flash doesn't do much good.

Do not let this experience get passed by, and do plan on spending about 2 hours of your valuable time here. It will be well worth it.

I agree

We spent a few hours there & it was still not enough to see it all

I also really enjoyed the VASA museum and instead of fighting with my flash I decided to try my low light setting and took several pictures in black and white. The effect was really great.

We spent at least 2 hrs wandering around.

JKW

Posters: Did you arrange your own tour to the museum in Stockholm or did you use the ships tours. If you arranged your own, who did you use?

Cheers

I also really enjoyed the VASA museum and instead of fighting with my flash I decided to try my low light setting and took several pictures in black and white. The effect was really great.

We spent at least 2 hrs wandering around.

JKW

We enjoyed the Vasa Museum very, very much. Great history and they had a nice display that illustrated how these ship were constructed. This type of ship building was done before today's power tools, modern equipment, etc. Very interesting to learn all of this history. We did our tour through a ship's tour. It was nice to have somebody else do the driving and not have to worry on our logistics. Below are a couple of my pictures done on a low-light setting with a 10-20mm wide angle lens on my Nikon D50 camera. The ship is too big for a flash to be useful.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

1C-Stockh-V.jpg

1A-Stockholm-VasaShipDetails.jpg

1A-Stockholm-VasaShipBack.jpg

Posters: Did you arrange your own tour to the museum in Stockholm or did you use the ships tours.

Cheers

we did the ship's tour

TLC, impressive photos of the Vasa; I do not have your expertise so my pictures came out very dark.

We too loved the Museum and would definitely state at least 2 hours to see this place (I believe 6 floors of interesting displays)

Loved Stockholm too!

I had to cajole my SO to the Vasa. Oh, no, he said, not another museum. Once inside I could not drag him away.

I had to cajole my SO to the Vasa. Oh, no, he said, not another museum. Once inside I could not drag him away.

THANKS to cruzisme for the nice comments on the pictures! It is a very large ship with low light there. Not easy to shoot unless you have the right lens and are experienced doing lower light photography.

treesah says it very, very well on how it is hard to explain why the Vasa Museum works so well. Many just assume it's another boring ship display or museum. It is much, much more. Not be be missed. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I did this back in August on our Baltic cruise. We did not do a ship tour and I would not recommend one for the Vasa reason being I do not think you would have enough time to really enjoy this museum I was amazed and could have spent so much more time here than we did (about 2 hrs.) Make sure you see the movie. Just take the hop on hop off boat then when your done at the museum just get back on the boat and head to Gama Stan. Enjoy!!!!!

I did this back in August on our Baltic cruise. We did not do a ship tour and I would not recommend one for the Vasa reason being I do not think you would have enough time to really enjoy this museum I was amazed and could have spent so much more time here than we did (about 2 hrs.) Make sure you see the movie. Just take the hop on hop off boat then when your done at the museum just get back on the boat and head to Gama Stan. Enjoy!!!!!

We would certainly agree about NOT taking a ship tour to see the Vasa. We only had 45 minutes for the whole museum and that left us very frustrated! Our tour also included Gama Stan and we only had 45 minutes there also, again, not enough time! The bulk of our tour was taken up doing a canal ride which you can do on your own while on the hop on and hop off.

treesah says it very, very well on how it is hard to explain why the Vasa Museum works so well. Many just assume it's another boring ship display or museum. It is much, much more. Not be be missed. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

To expand a bit more on the museum, if I may. Besides the main hull of the ship, the museum has done a fantastic job of recreating all aspects of the ship's history, the reason it was built (wars against Russia, etc), the way it was designed and put together with all the wood carved sections. As was noted earlier, there are several floors of exhibits and places where you can see the hull from below and above. But also alcoves full of special items that were part of the story.

It is not to be missed, as Terry said.

As you enter the main hall you come face to face with this.

b582.jpg

And it goes on from there:

b589.jpgb592.jpg

Along with details of the paints and colors that had been used:

b594.jpg

Enjoy!

BTW there are more pictures and details about the Vasa museum and how to reach it in Stockholm at http://www.*****.com/Stockholm.html

If you want to take pictures, be prepared that the museum is very dark, much darker than the impression you'll get from TLCOhio's and Lair Bear's pictures. A Digital SLR with a stabilizer is highly recommended.

For these two pictures I used a Sony Alfa 300, 18 mm (=27 mm) lens and had to go up to ISO 1600. (f 4.0 1/4s & f 3.5 1/8s -0.7 steps)

vasa2.jpg

vasa1.jpg

If you want to take pictures, be prepared that the museum is very dark, much darker than the impression you'll get from TLCOhio's and Lair Bear's pictures. A Digital SLR with a stabilizer is highly recommended.

For these two pictures I used a Sony Alfa 300, 18 mm (=27 mm) lens and had to go up to ISO 1600. (f 4.0 1/4s & f 3.5 1/8s -0.7 steps)

This is not a section about cameras and how to use them. But you are absolutely correct about the light conditions at the Vasa Museum. When I took my pictures I also used an ISO setting of 1600 and a very small 'f' stop. In addition, I used the posts or ballusters around the museum to steady my camera as I slowly pushed the trigger. But no flash, please.

The ISO setting can be changes on most cameras and simply means that the higher the number, the less light you need for your picture. Just don't forget to change it back to 100 or 200 when you go back outside.

You don't need a very fancy camera to do this. What a lot of folks don't realize (or don't want to be bothered with) is that a digital camera has more than just the 'green' setting. Most of the time I use the 'Av' setting, meaning that I set the aperture and let the camera choose the shutter speed. Or I use the 'Tv' setting and I select the speed. I don't use the flash often when I do this and usually get better lighting on the subject when light comes through a window, for example.

It worked fine in Stockholm and even more so in St. Petersburg while inside the museums, etc.

We also took the HOHO boat over to the Vasa and then took it over to the royal palace and picked it up for the final time down by Gamla Stan and rode it back around to our dock. Great time and an enjoyable way to view the harbor.

This is not a section about cameras and how to use them.

Sorry, did meant to turn it into one.

But as this is surely one of the most photograped tourist attractions in Scandinavia (you can see flashes going off several times a minute), I just wanted to send a warning that this is not a place where you just can go to AUTO, push "click, click, click" and expect the camera to do the job for you somehow because probably it will not. And once inside the museum its a bit late to pick up the manual to try to find out what ISO/ASA mumbers means or how to disconnect the flash. If you just know your camera its not too hard to end up with nice pictures as has been shown here. Otherwise the odds are the results will be just disppointment and frustration.

Next year we'll be in Stockholm on Sept. 9th. Just realized the Vasa in Sept. doesn't open until 10:00am.

Our port time is 7:30am-4:30pm. Had planned to go to Vasa first then Gamla Stan but that was when I thought the Vasa opened at 8:00am.

I guess we could still do this but spend less time at each.

I also thought about going to gamla Stan first then vasa but have read Vasa is packed by noon and the public buses back to the port at Vasa are generally packed and you can't get on. Or might it be ok since it's in September?

Any opinions?

Thanks, Diana

Can you get the hop on boat near where the ship docks?

We were tendered in and right at the dock there were people selling tickets for the hop on hop off boats. Very convenient. Do however get over to the museum early the lines can get quite long. We had no wait to get in but when we came out of the museum the line to get in was very long, we got there around 9:15 I think. Make it your first stop.

Is is possible to do Vasa, the outdoor living museum (forgot the name) and inside of the Palace on a DIY tour if we are docked 7:30-4:30. It would be early Sept and Palace is only open 12-3 the day we are docked. We have 3 kids with us--if we have to cut out one--which one? FYI--we NEED to see the inside of a Palace with fancy stuff for DD (as we are missing Buckingham Palace)--we are also in Helsinki and Copenhagen. thanks, Elaine

Hello Dianna.. we are also on your ship ... at first I thought we would pass on this museum but from all the info on this sight it looks very interesting... I think you can also catch a bus? anyway nice to "meet" you ... Trudy:)

Try to get to the Palace around noon (I htink that's the right time) for the

Changing of the Guards. The kids (and their parents) will like that a lot. We didn't do the other outdoor museaum, but I have heard very nice things about it. I would also suggest, from the Palace, walk into Gamla Stan. It is just a facinating area, so many shops, buildings and something for everyone. Depending on the times the museums open, you might be able to do it all in one day. But so leave that time for the Vasa, it is truly a facinating place.

We went over to the Vasa by way of a hop-on hop-off boat which docked directly behind out ship. The Vasa was one of the MOST SEE things that I had on my initerary, and still I was overwhelmed. It was incredible. Did not leave a lot of time to do Gamle Stan, but I neverless left Stockholm a happy cruiser.