Vasa Museum

Giantfan13

• 1 month later...
We will be visiting area in June. Do any of you remember the cost of the HOHO bus to Vasa Museum?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Mrsosci

Per

http://www.stromma.se/en/Sightseeing/Stockholm/Land-tours/

this website says that all-day cost is 240 kr for its at its 14 stops around town.

Per today's Wall Street Journal, one dollar today gets you 7.21 kr.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Terri in Ohio

Thank you for your help. That takes care of one of our stops. Planning this trip is a lot of work. Also trying to figure out the $$ part.

Columbus is one of my favorite places. Lived there when I was little and still visit relatives there.

Happy New Year.

Linda

Well, I guess I am the lone dissenter here. We did the Baltic 5 years ago and are doing it again in August and the Vasa is certainly NOT something I would do again. Had I been able to see the ship as well as the photos posted here I am sure I would have enjoyed it but the day we were there the lighting was so very, very dim that a few older people fell and even though I am not visually impaired I had to be very cautious of where I was going. Maybe it's better now but I found it very frustrating to know that there was something pretty neat to see and not being able to make out much of it. This was like having just a night light on in your kid's bedroom.

The museum was laid out well and the flow was good but we had a much better time at the outdoor museum where we watched glass blowers and craftsmen working with period tools. The local flowers and housing were nice. We purchased a sandwich and drink and had a picnic in the "museum". Stockholm was our next to last stop so we were ready for some down time and this was just the thing. The HOHO bus stops there and it was quite easy.

Just my two cents. Flame away.

Terri in Ohio Thank you for your help. That takes care of one of our stops. Planning this trip is a lot of work. Also trying to figure out the $$ part.

Columbus is one of my favorite places. Lived there when I was little and still visit relatives there. Happy New Year. Linda

THANKS, Linda, for the nice comments! We got an added inch of snow this am in Columbus. We live in a wooded, ravine area and things look nice with these lighter snowfalls. Better and more manageable than getting dumped with a foot of snow. Going to be in the 20's the next few days here. My sister's name is Linda. Good name. Keep the questions rolling. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Well, I guess I am the lone dissenter here. We did the Baltic 5 years ago and are doing it again in August and the Vasa is certainly NOT something I would do again. Had I been able to see the ship as well as the photos posted here I am sure I would have enjoyed it but the day we were there the lighting was so very, very dim that a few older people fell and even though I am not visually impaired I had to be very cautious of where I was going. Maybe it's better now but I found it very frustrating to know that there was something pretty neat to see and not being able to make out much of it. This was like having just a night light on in your kid's bedroom. The museum was laid out well and the flow was good but we had a much better time at the outdoor museum where we watched glass blowers and craftsmen working with period tools. The local flowers and housing were nice. We purchased a sandwich and drink and had a picnic in the "museum". Stockholm was our next to last stop so we were ready for some down time and this was just the thing. The HOHO bus stops there and it was quite easy. Just my two cents. Flame away.

Won't flame away! The light levels are low in the Vasa Museum. I was able to get some decent pictures by stabilizing the camera against solid walls and railings, making things look better lighted than what they are. I assume they keep the lighting low in order to better preserved a huge "relic" that goes back to the 1600's. It's old and THE REAL THING! It's pretty amazing to see and some of their displays explain well how ship building was done in that era before power tools and large cranes.

If the Vasa is not your thing and/or as a preview of other key options, below are some visual samples. Lots to see and experience in Stockholm.

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard:

1A-StHolm-Guards.jpg

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace and its next-door historic church:

9-StockholmPalChurch.jpg

Nice flowers and historic buildings in Stockholm:

1A-Stockholm-Flowers-HistBldg.jpg

In the heart of Stockholm’s historic old city:

1A-Stockholm-OldCityHeart.jpg

Well, I guess I am the lone dissenter here. We did the Baltic 5 years ago and are doing it again in August and the Vasa is certainly NOT something I would do again. Had I been able to see the ship as well as the photos posted here I am sure I would have enjoyed it but the day we were there the lighting was so very, very dim that a few older people fell and even though I am not visually impaired I had to be very cautious of where I was going. Maybe it's better now but I found it very frustrating to know that there was something pretty neat to see and not being able to make out much of it. This was like having just a night light on in your kid's bedroom.

The museum was laid out well and the flow was good but we had a much better time at the outdoor museum where we watched glass blowers and craftsmen working with period tools. The local flowers and housing were nice. We purchased a sandwich and drink and had a picnic in the "museum". Stockholm was our next to last stop so we were ready for some down time and this was just the thing. The HOHO bus stops there and it was quite easy.

Just my two cents. Flame away.

Hmmm, I may have to rethink this for us next summer if the lighting is that poor. Hubby has a really hard time seeing up close even with his coke bottle glasses.

Is the whole museum like that?

Thanks, Diana

Hmmm, I may have to rethink this for us next summer if the lighting is that poor. Hubby has a really hard time seeing up close even with his coke bottle glasses. Is the whole museum like that? Thanks, Diana

The Vasa does have lower light levels. That's the bad news. The super good news is how the place is designed around this ship with several different viewing levels. That allows you to get very close to be able to see the details, well, in my opinion. It's a big ship and you can get close see it from all different angles, top to bottom.

I would not discount visiting Vasa. From the added pictures below you can the mid-level ramping that fairly close to the body of the ship. Seeing this ship can be very interesting and rewarding.

More of the front of the Vasa, its side and some closer details:

VasaSideFront.jpg

VasaSideDetails.jpg

VasaFront.jpg

Thanks for that perspective Terry. I think the Vasa is a must for hubby. He loves to sail and his brother is a boat builder.

YES! With those interests and connections on sailing and boat-building, those are many nice pluses to experience at the Vasa.

From when the Vasa set sail in 1628, she was designed to be one of the mightiest warship in the world. With 64 guns and 300 soldiers, the objective was to put fear in the hearts of the enemy. The King, however, wanted the ship to be even bigger and more impressive. It was! BUT, those added touches, guns and weight were too, too much. Hence, the sinking as the Vasa sailed out of the harbor.

On April 24 1961, the Vasa first broke the surface of Stockholm´s harbor after 333 years on the sea bottom. The ship was found in 1956 located 30 metres beneath the water's surface. They built six tunnels in the mud beneath her, using specially made nozzles. Steel cables were drawn through the tunnels. Two lifting pontoons on the surface were to lift the ship using the cables. Would the old wooden ship remain in one piece? It did! In 16 stages the Vasa was lifted to more shallow water, made watertight and strengthened before the final lift. The Vasa is the biggest single object that has ever been preserved and is Scandinavia's most visited museum. This museum building was inaugurated in 1990 with its custom design built around the large ship. You can get more detailed info from:

http://www.vasamuseet.se/InEnglish/about.aspx

For TLCOhio

Terry,

Thanks for the pix of VASA. We're looking forward to seeing it in early June when we hit Stockholm. I realize that you opened your f-stop up quite a bit to obtain the pictures but could you reveal your ASA and your shutter speed? I notice in a one of your pix (the last one) there are people obviously moving but I detect no movement blur?

My camera will open to only 2.6 and I'm afraid I'll have to slow my speed too much to ensure decent pix without a tripod.

Ideas?

Bob

For TLCOhio Terry, Thanks for the pix of VASA. We're looking forward to seeing it in early June when we hit Stockholm. I realize that you opened your f-stop up quite a bit to obtain the pictures but could you reveal your ASA and your shutter speed? I notice in a one of your pix (the last one) there are people obviously moving but I detect no movement blur? My camera will open to only 2.6 and I'm afraid I'll have to slow my speed too much to ensure decent pix without a tripod. Ideas? Bob

THANKS, Bob, for the interest and comments! From checking a couple of the pictures shot inside the Vasa, here are some of the photo details. On my Nikon D50, it was shot f4.0 for a third of a second with a 10mm wide angle lens and a 1600 ISO. Some other pictures were shot from a half second exposure up to one being for a full second. I got a 10-20mm wide angle lens to use on this trip with it many great churches, museums, etc. I also have 18-55mm and 70-300mm Nikon lens.

Did I have a tripod at the Vasa? NO! I leaned against railings, etc., to stabilize each photo shot with its low lighting levels and slow shutter speed. Here are part of the photo tips I have posted earlier:

STEADY HOLD: I mostly use the eyepiece viewer, not the back of camera viewing screen. That keeps the camera closer to my body and makes it more stable. Use your elbows against your body to brace the camera. I'll lean against walls or doorframes when taking certain inside pictures in low light situations to improve . . . stability! You don't want blurred and shaky pictures. Set the camera on walls, chairs, etc. Stability! Some think that if they push the button faster to take the picture, then it will be better. WRONG! Gently S-Q-U-E-E-Z-E that shutter button, slowly! It makes a major difference in picture quality.

Does this help? Any other questions or reactions? Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

THANKS, Bob, for the interest and comments! From checking a couple of the pictures shot inside the Vasa, here are some of the photo details. On my Nikon D50, it was shot f4.0 for a third of a second with a 10mm wide angle lens and a 1600 ISO. Some other pictures were shot from a half second exposure up to one being for a full second. I got a 10-20mm wide angle lens to use on this trip with it many great churches, museums, etc. I also have 18-55mm and 70-300mm Nikon lens.

Did I have a tripod at the Vasa? NO! I leaned against railings, etc., to stabilize each photo shot with its low lighting levels and slow shutter speed. Here are part of the photo tips I have posted earlier:

STEADY HOLD: I mostly use the eyepiece viewer, not the back of camera viewing screen. That keeps the camera closer to my body and makes it more stable. Use your elbows against your body to brace the camera. I'll lean against walls or doorframes when taking certain inside pictures in low light situations to improve . . . stability! You don't want blurred and shaky pictures. Set the camera on walls, chairs, etc. Stability! Some think that if they push the button faster to take the picture, then it will be better. WRONG! Gently S-Q-U-E-E-Z-E that shutter button, slowly! It makes a major difference in picture quality.

Does this help? Any other questions or reactions? Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

You answered everything. Thanks. I have a pretty decent point&shoot camera with pretty good wide angle results. I gave up the zoom, lense filters, etc., etc., when I quit using my old Minolta SR7 (telling my age a bit?) and Picasa.

Like you, I use the viewfinder. In fact (Opinion Alert) I think removing viewfinders might be one of the dumbest things the photo industry has done recently! The ONLY time it has worked for me is when I have to shoot overhead where it's impossible to put my eye to the window.

Thanks again for the info. I tried you suggestions in subdued light and they're right on. S-T-E-A-D-I-N-E-S-S is the watchword. f4 -1/3 -1600 gets the job done quite well.

Bob

You answered everything. Thanks. I have a pretty decent point&shoot camera with pretty good wide angle results. I gave up the zoom, lense filters, etc., etc., when I quit using my old Minolta SR7 (telling my age a bit?) and Picasa. Like you, I use the viewfinder. In fact (Opinion Alert) I think removing viewfinders might be one of the dumbest things the photo industry has done recently! The ONLY time it has worked for me is when I have to shoot overhead where it's impossible to put my eye to the window.

Thanks again for the info. I tried you suggestions in subdued light and they're right on. S-T-E-A-D-I-N-E-S-S is the watchword. f4 -1/3 -1600 gets the job done quite well. Bob

THANKS, Bob, for the follow-up and report of "success"! Mentioning "filters" does date us both! In today's digital age where we can fine-tune many pictures on our laptops, it is much easier than in the old film days. Many of those old filters are not needed. I used to have three Nikon FM camera bodies with the old glass lens. It is much better having a lighter camera and lens, plus being able to shoot more pictures and see what you are getting instantly. In a low-light situation like the Vasa that digital advantage is super great. It is fairly dark in there and I was pleased to have my new 10-20mm wide angle to capture what I got at this interesting Vasa Museum. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived