Jewel - trip to Panama/Caribbean - Apr 16, 2010

My husband and I are going on the Jewel of the Seas, our first RC experience (we're past Carnival Cruisers - 3X), to Panama and the Caribbean. We love to have fun, dance, see shows, party, etc. How is this ship? The cabins (outside Cat. H - was told it's a little bigger? b/c it has room for a 3rd person. Is this true?), the food, the pizza (we're originally from NY and like a good pizza), and ice cream?

How are the tours on this? Any suggestions on places to see?

Overall opinion of the ship? of the trip?

And... is April 16 a good time (rain?) to go to Panama and the Caribbean (Labadee, Haiti; Cartagena, Colombia; Colon, Panama; Puerto Limon, Costa Rica; Grand Cayman)?

Thanks, we really appreciate it. AND, if anyone's looking at Carnival's new "Dream", it's fantastic! Gorgeous, spacious (we had an outside cabin - no balcony, but 2, yes 2 bathrooms!) - 230 sq. ft.!

Thanks, all.

Living in Paradise!

Living, we did a full transit of the Panama in April from East to West and although a bit warm going thru the Canal, we had great weather. We haven't been on the Jewl but her sisters ships, the BOS & ROS, gorgeous ships. I can't speak for some of your Ports, as we never got to those. Cat H , the room is 170 Sq Ft, I wouldn't say they were all that large, our 1st cabin was in OV at 179 sq ft. I am sure others will pop in to offer you more on the Ports. Have a wonderful Cruise

My husband and I are going on the Jewel of the Seas, our first RC experience (we're past Carnival Cruisers - 3X), to Panama and the Caribbean. We love to have fun, dance, see shows, party, etc. How is this ship? The cabins (outside Cat. H - was told it's a little bigger? b/c it has room for a 3rd person. Is this true?), the food, the pizza (we're originally from NY and like a good pizza), and ice cream?

How are the tours on this? Any suggestions on places to see?

Overall opinion of the ship? of the trip?

And... is April 16 a good time (rain?) to go to Panama and the Caribbean (Labadee, Haiti; Cartagena, Colombia; Colon, Panama; Puerto Limon, Costa Rica; Grand Cayman)?

Thanks, we really appreciate it. AND, if anyone's looking at Carnival's new "Dream", it's fantastic! Gorgeous, spacious (we had an outside cabin - no balcony, but 2, yes 2 bathrooms!) - 230 sq. ft.!

Thanks, all.

Living in Paradise!

We did this almost-identical itinerary in '06 on the Brilliance, a twin to the Jewel. We were also on the Jewel in '04. She is my favorite of all RCI's ships that we've been on, and believe me when I tell you that you chose a GREAT ship for your first RCI cruise. Everything about this class of ship is stellar--beautiful to look at, just the right size and easy to navigate, gorgeous artwork, great crews, lovely dining experiences, oh, I could go on and on. We did a great independent tour in Puerto Limon with Oscar Brown. In Grand Cayman, I recommend swimming with the stingrays with Capt. Marvin. You can email both of these excellent tour operators and make reservations. Its been a few years, so I hope they are still in business. Labadee is one of RCI's private islands. I haven't been there, but I've been to Coco Cay, their other private island, and it's a great beach day experience. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Your cabin size will be comfortable. You sound like fun people, and I'm sure the Jewel will more than exceed your expectations. But I gotta warn you, their pizza is only so-so. We're originally from Philly, so we are pizza snobs too...;)

If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask away!

Karen

Costa Rica: White Water Rafting

Cozumel: Chakannaub State Park for the day and walking the main drag (taxi from pier) do not pay ship price.

Grand Cayman: Hands down, Captain Marvin's Sting Ray City. Book online, do not pay ship price.

Panama: Take Ferry through the canal and the Mirafoles Locks

Ship: This class of RCI ships is spectacular!!!!

Archived