Art auction on Mariner?

As if you could miss these things on ANY cruise ship....

Amen! Art auctions are on an equal basis with the ever-present (and always annoying) ship photographers. This is just my own opinion. At least with the art auctions, you have a choice. My choice - avoid it!

I didn't see any.

Bolero's was cleary not a Buy one Get one Free bar and consequently had no interest to Frances.

Oh, but wait a minute. There was free "champagne", so she must have put in an appearance at some stage.

You didn't see ANY?????????

And you said you only had one drink ??????

Yes, there were several art auctions, held in Boleros on Deck 4.

I didn't see any.

Bolero's was cleary not a Buy one Get one Free bar and consequently had no interest to Frances.

Oh, but wait a minute. There was free "champagne", so she must have put in an appearance at some stage.

So here we have 2 guys, drinking buddys on our sailing,.... one remembers and one does not...........and Gary says he only had one drink...who would you believe?????????;)

No, I do remember Lori.

I was trying to be facetious and failing miserably.

Gary...you didn't fail...I didn't see Craig's post...I generally post first and then skim the other posters remarks...I did not even see Craig's until I posted to you...and since I read them out of order......I missed your humor....my bad, so now when I go back and read it in order...I get it:D

I love all the sarcastic remarks!

The art auctions are fun and there are bargains, especially the Take Offs.

Enjoy and don't listen to those who would rather watch belly-flopping!

Park West is a scam and dosn't know the meaning of bargin. Stay away stay very far away! Unless you think it is fun watching people get ripped off.

I love all the sarcastic remarks!

The art auctions are fun and there are bargains, especially the Take Offs.

I presume this was meant as a sarcastic response as well? :confused:

Park West is well known to be con artitsts.

I presume this was meant as a sarcastic response as well? :confused:

Park West is well known to be con artitsts.

Gonzo, I respect your posts but this time you are wrong.

We have taken home framed, limited edition art works for under $100. The frames alone would cost more than that.

I also dispute your contention that Park West is "well known to be con artists." One article in the New York Obama Times does not prove anything.

Again, can you please show proof that a framed Alexander Chen limited edition lithograph for $100 is a product of a con artist?

Gonzo, I respect your posts but this time you are wrong.

We have taken home framed, limited edition art works for under $100. The frames alone would cost more than that.

I also dispute your contention that Park West is "well known to be con artists." One article in the New York Obama Times does not prove anything.

Again, can you please show proof that a framed Alexander Chen limited edition lithograph for $100 is a product of a con artist?

Perhaps there are some good pieces to be had, but it is more than a single NYT article cautioning against them. If it were only the NYT saying bad things about them, I'd probably attend an auction or two.

Bad press or not, I would be concerned that anybody trying to pass off cheap sparkling wine as "champagne" might be trying to pass cheap imitation prints as fine art.

If someone finds a fairly inexpensive piece they like for their home, nothing wrong with that but buyer beware if you are attending the art auction trying to flip a piece for a profit.

Perhaps there are some good pieces to be had, but it is more than a single NYT article cautioning against them. If it were only the NYT saying bad things about them, I'd probably attend an auction or two.

Bad press or not, I would be concerned that anybody trying to pass off cheap sparkling wine as "champagne" might be trying to pass cheap imitation prints as fine art.

If someone finds a fairly inexpensive piece they like for their home, nothing wrong with that but buyer beware if you are attending the art auction trying to flip a piece for a profit.

o.k. Gonzo, I agree.

My wife was an art education major in college and taught art history and appreciation for many years. She cannot be fooled.

The key words here are caveat emptor. If you are educated, have an understanding of the underlying value of art and are not driven by the emotions elicited by cheap champagne, you can actually get good values at a Park West auction.

If we were really serious in warning against cruise ship "scams," we would be filling these pages with posts about bingo and the net return that is actually paid to "winners!"

If we were really serious in warning against cruise ship "scams," we would be filling these pages with posts about bingo and the net return that is actually paid to "winners!"

And don't forget the inch of "gold." :D

What about the Champagne RCI serves at the repeater parties and Diamond Events. Does anyone for a minute believe that is Real French Champagne and not cheap sparkling wine? Are they scammers too? LOL!

Colleen

What about the Champagne RCI serves at the repeater parties and Diamond Events. Does anyone for a minute believe that is Real French Champagne and not cheap sparkling wine? Are they scammers too? LOL!

Colleen

The funny thing is I never realized that sparkling wine is not considered to be "champagne" unless it is from that region of France until it was taught to me at a Royal Caribbean wine tasting event. :cool:

Colleen

I hate real French champagne and sparkling wine so it does not matter to me. We have toured several of the champagne cellars in Reims and they all are way to Bruit for me.

Archived