eCruiseStore.com Just Went Bankrupt

Cahroozer

I was just notified by eCruisestore.com that the agency went bankrupt and closed its doors as of Sunday, Oct. 25.

It is unclear what the status of my payments are to RCCL, since I paid the travel agent in full for two upcoming sailings. They advise me to dispute the credit card charges to get my money back. I assume that means they never forwarded my payments to RCCL.

I'm sure anyone else who has booked passage with them will want to check with RCCL as well.

I was just notified by eCruisestore.com that the agency went bankrupt and closed its doors as of Sunday, Oct. 25.

It is unclear what the status of my payments are to RCCL, since I paid the travel agent in full for two upcoming sailings. They advise me to dispute the credit card charges to get my money back. I assume that means they never forwarded my payments to RCCL.

I'm sure anyone else who has booked passage with them will want to check with RCCL as well.

They had a really bad BBB rating and it was just a matter of time. They also are one of the few agencies that charge your card to themselves instead of with the cruiseline, another bright red flag. Dispute with the credit card company. It's the only way you'll ever see that money again.

Another reason to book direct with the cruise line.

Caveat Emptor.

I'd never' date=' ever give my money to an online travel agency.......[/quote'] The vast majority are online these days.

Any agency that doesn't go through the cruise line for the charge has problems

We had problems with this agency for unauthorized use of our credit card and contacted the Florida Department of travel & AG's office. Our initial charge for our cruise was with Cunard but a $ 6K charge appeared on our CC from one of there dba companies. Do a search, ecruise store has many names :)

Unfortunately if they actually filed bankruptcy, disputing your credit card won't help. I purchased furniture earlier this year and the company filed for bankruptcy. Disputing the card didn't help because the court froze all assets and there was no money to return.

I'm so sorry and I hope it works out for you.

I used Cruise Planners (AKA Great cruise Vacations, cruise Vacations,)who is another name for ecruise store. There phone states they turned all their bookings over to the cruise line. i called Princess who I am booked with and they said cruise planners did not turn it over. I'm going to keep up with this and will let folks know what i find out.

I used Cruise Planners (AKA Great cruise Vacations, cruise Vacations,)who is another name for ecruise store. There phone states they turned all their bookings over to the cruise line. i called Princess who I am booked with and they said cruise planners did not turn it over. I'm going to keep up with this and will let folks know what i find out.

The other name was also Galaxy Travel.

Oh my, that's a horrible situation! However, most credit cards will/should refund you the full amount for items/services charged which you did not receive; they will then go after the vendor.

We had that happen with some furniture we ordered and paid for at a furniture store; furniture was never delivered; got constant runaround until they finally weren't answering their phone and obviously had shut down and run off (it was not online but a store about 2 hours away from us). We got our money back in full.

Shortly after booking with EcruiseStore in July, thanks to *************, I found the thread on the Holland America forum started by a woman who learned that her online travel agent never forwarded her monies that she had paid to this unable-to-be-named-on-this-website agency. Luckily, information elsewhere in this thread led me to TripAdvisor, where my fears were confirmed that EcruiseStore was the agency discussed.

Despite requesting in writing in early August that the monies I paid in full to EcruiseStore be remitted immediately to the cruiseline, this did not happen. When the word BOOKED appeared on my Celebrity reservation page, I contacted Celebrity to determine what exactly booked meant. Unfortunately, the rep I spoke to led me to believe that BOOKED meant paid in full although she did not tell me so directly due to the sacrosanct TA/cruiseline relationship.

The only positive news for us and the 3 couples who booked w/us via EcruiseStore thanks to my suggestion, is that our bookings were brokered thru a brick & mortar TA (down by the old Millstream) located here in my home state in the city of Findlay. This agency is the agency of record w/ Celebrity, not EcruiseStore.

For all posters who are tempted to chime in and chide us victims for our "stupidity", please don't. Our error in using EcruiseStore is more than evident to us. Words of understanding, advice on how to proceed and general support of our situation is welcome.

Unfortunately if they actually filed bankruptcy, disputing your credit card won't help. I purchased furniture earlier this year and the company filed for bankruptcy. Disputing the card didn't help because the court froze all assets and there was no money to return.

I'm so sorry and I hope it works out for you.

Actually that is not true. Back in 2001, when Premier Cruise Line (Big Red Boats anyone?)filed for bankruptcy, I had been in conversations with them about a partial reimbursment of our cruise fare due to our cabin not having air conditioning even though it was advertised as a "deluxe" cabin and charged as such. Once on board we, and many others who also had no air conditioning complained and we were all told, don't worry, it will start running as soon as we leave port.

Well of course it did not and all of the sudden cabin stewards appreared with literally hundreds of fans. Turns out the AC hadn't worked for months and yet the Cruise Line continued to sell these cabins as "deluxe" with a higher price. Once on board the customers were lied to about the situation.

Anyway, once the bankruptcy was filed my TA and my husband (an attorney) said, well there is nothing you can do.

Well I called Mastercard and was told by a clerk that "you went on the cruise, so there is nothing that can be done". After speaking with a supervisor and then asking to be put through to the legal department I was told yes, my claim of fraud was legitimate.

The company knew the AC didn't work in these cabins and yet continued to advertise and sell them as deluxe with the accompanying higher price.

I told them I would be willing to pay the minimum fare for the lowest level cabin. We had booked two cabins, the inside cabin (at the lower price) had AC that worked great. They agreed and even though the bankruptcy went through I signed my rights to the claim to a 3rd party and was credited $1,400 on my mastercard.

Colleen

A bit of law here may be helpful.

Travel agents (like insurance brokers, investment brokers) do not, legally act for you. They are the "agent" (in the legal sense of the word) of the "principal", who in this case is the cruise company. Travel agents sell on behalf of the tour operator and collect remuneration (often a commission) from the tour operator, not from you.

If the agent is not able to fulful its duties and obligations, it falls to the principal (in this case, the cruise line) to honour all contracts entered into by the agent, on its behalf.

Essentially, whether or not the agent passed over your payment to the cruise line is, as far as you are concerned, irrelevant. Legally, by paying the TA, you paid the cruise company. The legal issues arising are between the cruise line and the agency, not between you and the cruise line, nor between you and the TA. You are safe, you've done your part of the bargain.

If you exercised your part of the contract properly, you have nothing to fear. Do not be goaded into thinking that, in some way, you must suffer.

If the TA is not operating, you should deal directly with the cruise company from now on, a much safer place to be, legally.

If the cruise company says (as they do all the time) that you must deal with the TA, just tell them that's impossible because the TA is no longer operating!

Hope this helps.

Disclaimer: The above is for information purposes only and is the view of the writer.

In the UK there is protection, whereby if the TA is ABTA bonded, then ABTA actually cover everything with the cruise company from a financial perspective.

I remember 5 years or so ago whn Cruise Control went bankrupt in the UK owing millions of pounds, the passengers were protected and I think everyone who had booked with CC received their cruise, whether the monies paid had been passed to the shipping companies or not.

Cruise Planners, as a company, is alive and doing well. ecruisestore is not affiliated with Cruise Planners.

If your agent went under, and was part of Cruise Planners, then it was an individual agent that failed. All charges for cruises, made through Cruise Planners, go through the cruise line and not Cruise Planners.

If you have a problem with Princess, not having a record your cruise, contact another Cruise Planner agent and they can handle the interface with Princess.

Take care,

Mike

A bit of law here may be helpful.

Travel agents (like insurance brokers, investment brokers) do not, legally act for you. They are the "agent" (in the legal sense of the word) of the "principal", who in this case is the cruise company. Travel agents sell on behalf of the tour operator and collect remuneration (often a commission) from the tour operator, not from you.

If the agent is not able to fulful its duties and obligations, it falls to the principal (in this case, the cruise line) to honour all contracts entered into by the agent, on its behalf.

Essentially, whether or not the agent passed over your payment to the cruise line is, as far as you are concerned, irrelevant. Legally, by paying the TA, you paid the cruise company. The legal issues arising are between the cruise line and the agency, not between you and the cruise line, nor between you and the TA. You are safe, you've done your part of the bargain.

If you exercised your part of the contract properly, you have nothing to fear. Do not be goaded into thinking that, in some way, you must suffer.

If the TA is not operating, you should deal directly with the cruise company from now on, a much safer place to be, legally.

If the cruise company says (as they do all the time) that you must deal with the TA, just tell them that's impossible because the TA is no longer operating!

Hope this helps.

Disclaimer: The above is for information purposes only and is the view of the writer.

Are the laws in the U.S. the same as they are in Canada?...It would be wonderful if all of these people will get their cruises or their money back..

I sympathize with those who have been taken advantage of by this unscrupulous agent..:mad:

Betty

Are the laws in the U.S. the same as they are in Canada?...It would be wonderful if all of these people will get their cruises or their money back..

I sympathize with those who have been taken advantage of by this unscrupulous agent..:mad:

Betty

No, the laws in Canada are not the same. They aren't even the same from province to province. In Ontario we have TICO. All agencies working out of Ontario must be registered with them and meet certain criteria.

If an agency goes under their clients are helped/protected by TICO if all other avenues are tried and don't work. There is a lot more to it of course, but that is basically the answer you are looking for.

Just to be clear - only agencies registered in Ontario are covered by TICO. If an Ontarioan books through an agency in the US the Ontario client has no recourse with TICO.

I was one of the customers of ECruiseStore that got an e-mail today. First time using a US internal agency.

I called Princess and they have my deposit but not the final payment I had made to ECruiseStore. Princess will not honour ECruisestore price.

It turns out that ECruiseStore used another agency as a host. I somehow had the host company on my Princess's file. I contacted them and they did not know about the bankruptcy until I called them. I sent all my invoices to them so they could check out my file. They too said that they would not honour ECruisestore price. The price has gone up a couple of hundred $ and I will loose $200 OBC.

Visa will dispute the charge so hopefully I will get my money back so I can use it for the final payment.

To have a cruise booked, paid for, and all the anticipation only to find yourself out in the cold.

My only comment is the old adage, if it is too good a deal, then it may not be a deal...

So many of these shoe string companies squeeze their margins so tight any little thing sends them over the financial edge. I have a hard time with the large OBC of $200+ when the cruise might cost $2,400...that tells me they are begging for business....not enough room to recover if they have the slightest downturn.

I truly hope those folks impacted can find relief...

Archived