Are balcony cabins really worth the extra cost?

The Fox

There's no Deck 13 on this ship. I no some hotels skip it, but I suspect this may be the first ship that has.

No Deck 13 on Diamond Princess - or closer to home on Sun or Dawn Princess either.

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/dp/deck_plans/index.html

I suspect if you wanted to dig a bit further you will find it quite common - its an international thing in the accommodation industry.

No Deck 13 on Diamond Princess - or closer to home on Sun or Dawn Princess either.

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/dp/deck_plans/index.html

I suspect if you wanted to dig a bit further you will find it quite common - its an international thing in the accommodation industry.

I think it is the same with many buildings too, when I was working in the CBD I worked in like 3 different buildings with 20+ levels and i could never once find a way or an elevator to level 13 lol. I eventually asked at reception and i was told its where the "air conditioning"

On a ship however who knows, maybe they just skip it for the numbering...

As for price,

you have just got to shop around .

On the bigger newer ships they have more balconies than insides,

and I saw one advert for Diamond Princess on this years Au/Nz run

where the balconies were being sold at a

cheaper price than the inside cabins...

so balconies are not just for the rich.

I agree completely. We weren't really seriously looking for a cruise, as we had just returned from a 3 week trip to the States, but when looking for "fun", we saw a deal that was too good to turn down.

The special we found was a 20 night cruise from Sydney to Bangkok on the Diamond Princess inc airfares and a BALCONY cabin for under $3,000. 20 nights in a balcony cabin will be wonderful! Interestingly, the balcony was cheaper than an inside and outside - we just had to do it - didn't we!! Can't wait for our cruise!!!

I think it is the same with many buildings too, when I was working in the CBD I worked in like 3 different buildings with 20+ levels and i could never once find a way or an elevator to level 13 lol. I eventually asked at reception and i was told its where the "air conditioning"

I work on Level 13 in a 13-storey building :eek:.. but yes when it comes to ships it's hard to find one that has a deck 13. So when they say that ships are 14 decks high or whatever, they're really one less than that.

Triskaidekaphobia strikes again.... :)

I work on Level 13 in a 13-storey building :eek:.. but yes when it comes to ships it's hard to find one that has a deck 13. So when they say that ships are 14 decks high or whatever, they're really one less than that.

i think there are no deck 13 on any ship ...bad luck

THere aren't any airconditioning machinery on your level? I still reckon theres a conspiracy about level 13's lol probably some private club for all the CEO's etc etc.

i think there are no deck 13 on any ship ...bad luck

I'd have to wonder how you could have bad luck on deck 13 on a ship, but not on deck 11, or 14... It's certainly possible, but not the typical scenarios that come to mind or have occurred regarding shipping incidents.

Agree with Riffraff on this though :-)

When i first started working at the Grand Hyatt not long after it first opened in 1988, we were told on orientation that no American buildings had a 13th floor, quite simply as the number 13 is considered bad luck. Not sure how true that is, but seems to make sense with all the suspician involved with that number.:cool:

I have cruised in either inside or outside cabins, but not yet a balcony.

I have heard of the extras you get with balcony cabins as well as the obvious private balcony, but can not seem to justify the extra money it would cost for a balcony when I find that I do not spend much time in the cabin, only really to sleep, shower & change.

I would prefer to cruise twice a year in a inside / outside cabin, than once a year in a balcony.

That being said, for cruises departing from the US where there is a much larger variety of cruise lines and ships, the price difference for inside / outside cabins and balconys seems to be much less. So I would perhaps consider a balcony for one of these cruises.

The main reason I don't choose a balcony is the huge price difference. But if the price difference was smaller, then it would be something I would consider.

That being said, I have no problems at all with inside or outside cabins. As long as I'm on the ship, I'm happy :)

I've just realised something -

Find a cabin on any of the 4 P&O ships deck plans (haven't checked any others) that has a number ending in 13...

You won't find one!

I found one.

In the 1st edition of the 2009-2011 South Pacific . Australia . Asia P&O cruise guide.

The layout for Pacific Pearl on Page 72, A deck (deck 11) has a room A113, an outside with balcony room. Might be for the gothic/emo's who enjoy cruising.

Thanks,

Ross

I would suggest that you have misnamed your post. Since you have already answered your own question, a better title would be "Balconies are not worth the extra cost".

Obviously, there are many people who would disagree with you and it also depends upon the cruise location.

BTW, in some cases for no obvious reason, you can get a balcony for less than an outside or inside cabin. Then it is really worth the cost.

DON

I have cruised in either inside or outside cabins, but not yet a balcony.

I have heard of the extras you get with balcony cabins as well as the obvious private balcony, but can not seem to justify the extra money it would cost for a balcony when I find that I do not spend much time in the cabin, only really to sleep, shower & change.

:)

The extras you get from a balcony compared to an inside or oceanview are....well....a balcony.

If we were able to afford it, I would love to try out a balcony cabin, but like many others, we choose inside because of the cost, a big factor when you are retired and cautious, especially after a big dip in the super!

Our first cruise was in an outside cabin.. the window out onto the ocean, and land when around, was great. Our second was an inside and while it was different, it was not unbearable by any means. Saying that, we do not suffer from claustrophobia.

Friends of ours joined us - she suffers from claustrophobia and they chose an outside cabin. They were one of the rare lucky ones who got upgraded to a balcony (Rhapsody) and, while we loved the spaciousness and availability of fresh air, we could not justify to ourselves the extra hundreds of dollars each it would cost to cruise in a balcony cabin.

The extras you get from a balcony compared to an inside or oceanview are....well....a balcony.

I have also read that with some cruiselines, passengers with balcony rooms also get some extras such as bath robes, priority check in etc.

As well ofcourse as the balcony! :)

We cruised last year and were in an inside cabin. We all had bath robes (dressing gowns) and could not fault it what-so-ever. It was good in the point if you wanted to have a nanna nap or a little sleep in, it was nice and dark.. We previously had an outside cabin and the inside one was larger, the trick is to have friends or meet friends who have a balcony and go visit them a lot. icon10.gif then you have the best of both worlds. One day we will cruise with a balcony (when kids grow up and we have extra money) actually, that will prob never happen. Being 4 of us, chances of a balcony are about 0%....We did look at a balcony for us and the kids directly opposite in an inside and it was thousands more, so we will just be happy with an inside, as said before, as long as we are on a cruise, I dont care... :) lol Fiona

x

We cruised last year and were in an inside cabin. We all had bath robes (dressing gowns) and could not fault it what-so-ever. It was good in the point if you wanted to have a nanna nap or a little sleep in, it was nice and dark.. We previously had an outside cabin and the inside one was larger, the trick is to have friends or meet friends who have a balcony and go visit them a lot. icon10.gif then you have the best of both worlds. One day we will cruise with a balcony (when kids grow up and we have extra money) actually, that will prob never happen. Being 4 of us, chances of a balcony are about 0%....We did look at a balcony for us and the kids directly opposite in an inside and it was thousands more, so we will just be happy with an inside, as said before, as long as we are on a cruise, I dont care... :) lol Fiona

x

was that with P&O?

was that with P&O?

Last year was Princess (Dawn) there weren't actually robes in our room but we asked our room steward and he came back in a few min with 4. He said you only need to ask and anyone can get them. Replaced them a few times without the cruise. The strangest thing happened too, when we got home there was one in my suitcase?? Re sizes of rooms I think P&O 's rooms are bigger than Princess anyway arent they? But the inside ones are bigger than the outside as there is no window and that deep sill. icon10.gif

Archived