Timing a stingray tour on the Grand Princess

Debbb1

I need your help. After reading the boards(you guys are a wealth of knowledge) I've decided to book a private Stingray/snorkel tour. My big concern is timing.The Grand comes in at 12pm but I'm unsure if that time is ship time(central time zone) or if the Grand changes the ships time to match Island time.

Have any of you booked that were on the Grand Princess. Do you tender in that port,if so how long to get off the ship, and which tour group did you use???

Thanks for any feed back :)

Debbie-

Where does the Grand Princess originate from and go to?- I got the idea that that was the determining factor on what ships stayed on what time zones. We originated from a central time zone, the other two ports were central, and we were going back to a central time zone, so I would say that is why the ship decided not to change to Eastern time.

As far as I know, the Caymans are always a tendered port, but definitely for the Grand Princess - the ship would be way too big to dock at that tiny dock! Timing for tendering is indeed a problem.

When do you leave? You can pre-book with Capt Bryan's and Capt Marvins - the girl who booked us from Capt Bryan told us they will tailor the times for each individual ship, you just have to tell them when you are in and they will set up a group for that ship. Or you can get a snorkel tour dockside without pre-booking.

The Grand sails from Central time, and stays on that time the whole week; i.e., you don't change in Cayman. It seems to me like the posted port time (12-7) was Cayman time, as we dropped anchor offshore just after 11, and the last tender was at 5:15 for a 5:45 departure.

For the stingrays, we booked with Moby Dick at the pier, and had a fantastic time for $35. I think they do have a tour time just for the Grand in the afternoon if you want to prebook for only $30. http://www.mobydicktours.com

Thanks so much for clearing that up for me. I wasn't sure if the 12pm time was ship time or Cayman time.I'm so glad it's Cayman time.Now I can set up the tour.I can't wait !!!!!! Thanks for helping me out.

~Deb

I have i-mailed Moby Dick tours a few times and have only received one reply from him. It has been about a week since I last sent an e-mail. Was he like this for you and do you think he has a reputable company. I am slightly concerned to book with him but I think he is our best bet with our time in port.

I haven't emailed with Moby Dick's,but have witten to Captain Marvins and Captain Bryan(both recommended on the Cayman Island boards). They wrote back with in 2 days. I have decided to go with Captain Marvin's since his tour starts at 2 pm. I'm worried abour getting off the ship in time and his tour is the latest one I can find.

I think I have read other posting about Moby Dicks,you might try doing a search and see what you find.

~Deb

I went with Moby Dick last time -- just booked it at the pier when I arrived. It was simple and easy (and only $24 but that was 4 years ago). The trip was great, boat was fine, and time with the sting rays was just about right. This trip was all about he sting rays -- no fancy sail boat or rum punch, but good friendly guides. We are sailing this Saturday and I am planning on doing the same thing this time around!

Archived