Grandma left behind? No passport or BC

Sierra2

We're leaving for NOLA in 4 days, and cruising in 3 more. Grandma flew in to meet with us and we've found she forgot her birth certificate (no passport either).

We're going to try and order one from Kansas, expedited, and the folks back home can't find her original.

If Kansas can't get it to us, is there NO WAY she can board and remain on ship? only one port, Cozumel.

Oh, what a shame! I hope it arrives in time.

The last things I say to myself as I'm leaving the house...

Tickets, money, passport! Tickets, money, passport!

It's from the wonderful Absolutely Fabulous BBC series. And, of course, there have been times that I had to go back and retrieve some of the above.

I'm sure you already know this, but just in case... there is a website devoted to connecting you with expedite birth certificates. I don't have the link but I know many on here can help with that. I want to say Vital Check dot com or something like that. Best of luck to you, and fingers crossed that grandma gets to go!

We're leaving for NOLA in 4 days, and cruising in 3 more. Grandma flew in to meet with us and we've found she forgot her birth certificate (no passport either).

We're going to try and order one from Kansas, expedited, and the folks back home can't find her original.

If Kansas can't get it to us, is there NO WAY she can board and remain on ship? only one port, Cozumel.

Does she have either a passport or birth certificate at home? If so, have someone go to her house and FedEx them to you. My husband had his wallet stolen while traveling last year and it of course had his passport in it. We were due to fly home within the next 48 hours. We were able to call our son and ask him to go to our house and get in the safe and fax a copy his passport (we make sure to have color copies of our passports at the house in case of emergency) to our hotel. He did and we explained to the airlines what had happend. It took some extra time going thru immigration and the airport but it worked.

We had a bag stolen with the hubby's passport in it last year the night before our cruise. When we checked in I told them what happened, and they let him sail with his DL and SS card.

Yes I know this is NOT routine, and it may have just been because it was right after hurrican Ike and they were very unorganized at the Bayport terminal, but he did get to cruise. Getting off we just told customs what happened, they punched his info into a computer and we went on our way.

When we were boarding Glory in April, my nephew could not find his son's (8 yr. old) birth certificate ANYWHERE...did not have it. They let him on without it and he was able to get off/on at all the ports, 4 of them :D

THAT was nerve racking! Maybe because he was underage and with his dad :confused:

A few years ago, my mother-in-law was due to cruise with us and could not find her birth certificate. She lives in FL now, but was born in MO. I was able to go to the St Louis County Courthouse and walk out with a copy of her birth certificate within a matter of a half an hour. Perhaps the family back in Kansas can do the same. They could even Fed Ex it to the hotel you are staying in NOLA. Hopes it all works out!

I'm sure you already know this, but just in case... there is a website devoted to connecting you with expedite birth certificates. I don't have the link but I know many on here can help with that. I want to say Vital Check dot com or something like that. Best of luck to you, and fingers crossed that grandma gets to go!

Yes, it is vitalcheck.com

A few years ago, my mother-in-law was due to cruise with us and could not find her birth certificate. She lives in FL now, but was born in MO. I was able to go to the St Louis County Courthouse and walk out with a copy of her birth certificate within a matter of a half an hour. Perhaps the family back in Kansas can do the same. They could even Fed Ex it to the hotel you are staying in NOLA. Hopes it all works out!

A few years ago, things were different and they were less strict.

You guys ROCK! I'm going home at lunch to order with the vital site and send one copy here, and maybe one to the hotel? We've got 3 days to get it here, but a week to get it in NOLA.

vitalcheck is who we used ... got it from googling it. I must have misunderstood. I thought you said you had already expedited it to arrive. more yikes. sorry you are having to sweat this.

Just found out late last night, and have had family tearing her house up to find it in Spokane. They came up empty within the last hour. So ordering a new one is our only hope. I need to do it at lunch so I'll be with her and get all the answers to the questions they'll ask, Mother's maiden name, ect....

A few years ago, things were different and they were less strict.

I can do the same thing in Pa. We just went to a nearby Pa's Division of Vital Statistics a few weeks ago and obtain birth certificates for my daughter and father neither of which was with us.

Here's the information we needed:

Full name at birth of person named on the birth record (if name has changed since birth due to adoption, court order, or any other reason other than marriage, include changed name)

Date of birth (Please click here if date of birth is unknown.)

City and county of birth

Gender of person named on birth record

Parents' names, including mother’s maiden name

Relationship to the person

Reason for the request (if applicable, include specific information, such as name of foreign country for which certified copy is needed, etc.)

I can do the same thing in Pa. We just went to a nearby Pa's Division of Vital Statistics a few weeks ago and obtain birth certificates for my daughter and father neither of which was with us.

Here's the information we needed:

Full name at birth of person named on the birth record (if name has changed since birth due to adoption, court order, or any other reason other than marriage, include changed name)

Date of birth (Please click here if date of birth is unknown.)

City and county of birth

Gender of person named on birth record

Parents' names, including mother’s maiden name

Relationship to the person

Reason for the request (if applicable, include specific information, such as name of foreign country for which certified copy is needed, etc.)

The information needed and method of procurement varies from state to state, so what worked in PA might not work in WA.

Yes...they will expedite it to you. It is pricey, but well worth it in this case. I think they will even over night it. I expedited mine from North Carolina and I got it in 3 days. Good Luck...I hope all works out for y'all!;)

The information needed and method of procurement varies from state to state, so what worked in PA might not work in WA.

Understood but I was responding to the idea that having someone walk in and get a birth certificate for a family member is not done anymore because of security. Kansas probably has a different set of requirements but if they fulfill them they probably can get a BC in a day.

Understood but I was responding to the idea that having someone walk in and get a birth certificate for a family member is not done anymore because of security. Kansas probably has a different set of requirements but if they fulfill them they probably can get a BC in a day.

Not true. It can be done in any state, it's just a matter of where and by whom -- both of which vary by state.

If you cannot get the birth certificate in time, call U.S. Immigrations @ 305 762 3300 and ask what other documents may be acceptable. Carnival cannot make the exception, but if you are advised of alternatives, be sure to take name and badge number of the person who provides the information. Good luck!

Don't give up... Several years ago my youngest daughter Jodi could not find her BC. She started going through her purse, carry-ons, everything leaving a mess in the middle of the floor.. Of course family, her sister, grandmother, and myself kept saying "we saw it, it has to be somewhere".. Finally the Carnival check-in rep. said" that's OK, when you find it, just take it to the Pursers Desk" Hopefully her drivers license will allow the same scenario for your grandmother,,, AND NOLA has one of the nicest Carnival shore personnel~~!!~~

NOLA has a passport issuing facility, you might want to check with the US State Department, I think you can walk in and they will issue you a passport on the spot, or at least within a couple of hours.

GOOD LUCK

Back from lunch, made the calls. Spokane family was like, "we can't find it" DH was: "Tear the house apart!". They came up with a 1940's registar's statement, odd looking thing. doesn't say registration of birth, but give's the parents and her number in the birth book. They also found a 10 year expired passport. Both are being fed-exed.

We ordered the expedited copy of a new one from Kansas, they said should be here the day before we leave (and last shot at mail).

Between the two paths, I hope we're okay! Learn from our mistakes, assume nothing about fellow travelers.

We were due to fly home within the next 48 hours. We were able to call our son and ask him to go to our house and get in the safe and fax a copy his passport (we make sure to have color copies of our passports at the house in case of emergency) to our hotel. He did and we explained to the airlines what had happend. It took some extra time going thru immigration and the airport but it worked.

Your husband was able to re-enter the country with a copy of his passport?

Archived