Grandma left behind? No passport or BC

Sierra2

We arrived in Galveston the day before our cruise to discover my MIL forgot her passport at home. We had her son who lives in Florida send it Fed Ex overnight and the cost was $644.00. I couldn't believe they charged us that much, but we received it 2 hours before boarding and had a great cruise. I am vigilant about passports now...;)

$644.00? Is that in Mexican Pesos? :eek:

Nope, American dollars - I didn't know what choice I had except to leave my MIL at the hotel in Galveston. I was outraged that Fed Ex charged so much but didn't have options..:( Oh well, it all worked out.

We arrived in Galveston the day before our cruise to discover my MIL forgot her passport at home. We had her son who lives in Florida send it Fed Ex overnight and the cost was $644.00. I couldn't believe they charged us that much, but we received it 2 hours before boarding and had a great cruise. I am vigilant about passports now...;)

That seems awfully steep. I just did a pretend overnight shipment to Galveston and the cost was just under $62.00. Her son could have gotten a ticket cheaper than $644.00 and flown it to her. :eek:

That seems awfully steep. I just did a pretend overnight shipment to Galveston and the cost was just under $62.00. Her son could have gotten a ticket cheaper than $644.00 and flown it to her. :eek:

I was wondering also. My company overnights 45lb machine parts for a fraction of that. I know FedEx has higher tiers of service than "overnight." Like over night by 8am..... The Son could have shipped it cheaper, and same day by giving it to an airline as freight. But, it's too late for that........

It was 644.00, I just found the receipt. I was going to call Fed Ex when I got back but I let it go because I figured, I agreed. I am going to follow up and find out why it was so expensive. I felt held hostage because it was Saturday afternoon and we needed it Sunday morning.

It was 644.00, I just found the receipt. I was going to call Fed Ex when I got back but I let it go because I figured, I agreed. I am going to follow up and find out why it was so expensive. I felt held hostage because it was Saturday afternoon and we needed it Sunday morning.

Sunday delivery is why it was astronomical. They know you need it that bad and they are the only ones who will get it there.

I know what is going to happen, when you unpack your luggage in your cabin, guess what you are going to find, Grandmas Original Birth Certificate.

VitalCheck is great, although they got information wrong on my BC. I have a copy of my original and they had my moms name correct on it, but when I got the one from VitalCheck (or rather the state of Michigan) they said my moms maiden name was different, so I sent them a copy of my original BC but to this day I don't know if they changed it or not. I was surprised at how fast they get those documents to you. I ordered mine of Wednesday and got it Thursday afternoon even though I did not request overnight delivery, I had requested snail mail.

To the person who said to just go to the County Clerks office and get a copy, you can only do that if the birth was within the last 6 - 12 months, after that they are sent to the Department of Human Resources in the state capital and you have to request it from there.

Little ones usually wont tell a lie when asked is this your dad.

Mine did. My 11 y/o son was asked by the officer "So, do you know this woman?" His reply, he looked at me and said "I never saw her before in my life." I was so shocked! The Immigration officer laughed and let us through.

Thats not true (at least in Crockett, TX) on our last cruise I had to get BCs for our entire party. Luckily all family. I went to a neighboring county, since Houston is so large and besides the drive it took maybe 20 minutes and about $100. I got four BCs though. This was in Texas.

To the person who said to just go to the County Clerks office and get a copy, you can only do that if the birth was within the last 6 - 12 months, after that they are sent to the Department of Human Resources in the state capital and you have to request it from there.

A few years ago, things were different and they were less strict.

Maybe we're just a little old fashioned here in the St. Louis area... My wife went in right before our May cruise and walked out with birth certificates for all our kids.

As a fellow Oregonian, I can say for sure that's not true.

I know, because I did it, that you can go to the Center for Health Statistics in Portland and walk out with a BC.

Just this past July, my niece forgot her passport for honeymoon. Did not realized it till she arrived at the terminal at Pt. Canaveral. Had no birth certificate either.

They told her to just call home and have someone fax her birth certificate right away. The fax came right to their computer and she was onboard in 10 minutes.

So I guess where there is a rule, there is a way around it!!

As a fellow Oregonian, I can say for sure that's not true.

I know, because I did it, that you can go to the Center for Health Statistics in Portland and walk out with a BC.

We can't do it here in Jackson County, they tell us it is a State law that after one year you have to get it from the State of Oregon's Birth Records Dept in Portland. Maybe the office you go to is that State office (is it near that big shopping mall, I forgot the name), but you can not go to the County Clerks or the Health Department and get a BC.

When I contacted the State of Michigan to get a copy of mine, I first contacted the Wayne County Clerks office and they told me that it was a Federal law that all BC over one year old have to be ordered from the States Dept of Human services. That is where I got my information from and since I ran into this same thing here in Oregon, I just thought all state do it, I do want to thank all of you for letting me know that she was wrong

We can't do it here in Jackson County, they tell us it is a State law that after one year you have to get it from the State of Oregon's Birth Records Dept in Portland. Maybe the office you go to is that State office (is it near that big shopping mall, I forgot the name), but you can not go to the County Clerks or the Health Department and get a BC.

When I contacted the State of Michigan to get a copy of mine, I first contacted the Wayne County Clerks office and they told me that it was a Federal law that all BC over one year old have to be ordered from the States Dept of Human services. That is where I got my information from and since I ran into this same thing here in Oregon, I just thought all state do it, I do want to thank all of you for letting me know that she was wrong

I was disagreeing with the statement in your post before this one.....you said you had to go to the capitol.

And yes, the office is near the shopping mall (Lloyd Center)

Used to be like that in MD years ago - now you can walk into any county Health Department and get a birth certificate in a few minutes and for a few bucks.

Technology is a wonderful thing!

I know what is going to happen, when you unpack your luggage in your cabin, guess what you are going to find, Grandmas Original Birth Certificate.

VitalCheck is great, although they got information wrong on my BC. I have a copy of my original and they had my moms name correct on it, but when I got the one from VitalCheck (or rather the state of Michigan) they said my moms maiden name was different, so I sent them a copy of my original BC but to this day I don't know if they changed it or not. I was surprised at how fast they get those documents to you. I ordered mine of Wednesday and got it Thursday afternoon even though I did not request overnight delivery, I had requested snail mail.

These stories always make me nervous. Last week when attempting to embark on the Fantasy my wife only pulled 2 BCs out of our envelope. She did not pull out our son's and I could not see it in the envelope. I started to get that terrible feeling when she looked again and pulled his out. Whew.

Just this past July, my niece forgot her passport for honeymoon. Did not realized it till she arrived at the terminal at Pt. Canaveral. Had no birth certificate either.

They told her to just call home and have someone fax her birth certificate right away. The fax came right to their computer and she was onboard in 10 minutes.

So I guess where there is a rule, there is a way around it!!

This happened to a friend of mine. She had her passort and husbands passport. She did not have her young sons BC:eek: She called her sister and told her where it was in the house. Her sister had to break into the house and fax a copy of the BC to Carnival and off they went:D

~WOW~ What a "GREAT" thread - Everyone was so positive and helpful - this is what got me hooked on Cruise Critic boards in the beginning - everyone pulling together due to a shared love for cruising and a willingness to help others! :)

I'm so glad everything is working out for this family - thanks for keeping us posted and have a wonderful time with Grandma! {Please know that your experience is a learning experience for all of us} Thanks for sharing it.

I was thinking the same thing. A very positive thread and a happy ending. I hope the OP comes back and updates us on how the cruise went.

We had it happen to us, we were sitting eatting dinner at Bubba Gumps the night before the cruise and my mother realized she left her passport at home. We had someone break into our house to get the passport. He drove to the airport, but was in such a hurry, didn't think about it, parked at baggage claim, ran inside, paid a fee to have the passport put on the next plane to Miami. They told us what flight it would be on, we went to the airport, picked it up at baggage claim. Wasn't more than $50, I know for sure.

But then the guy who parked in the baggage claim, came back out and his car was towed. So he had to walk 4 miles to the tow lot, and pay to get his car back. So, my mother picked up that fee also.

Bottom line, check and check again before you leave the house.

Joe

Archived