Grandma left behind? No passport or BC

Sierra2

It's not VitalChek that takes up to 6 weeks, it's the states they are requesting the birth cert from that can take up to 6 weeks. VitalChek is just the middleman (and in some cases, the outsourced provider of documents). They either have to present the request to a documents clerk at a state or county level (depending upon the state) or access the state database and process the request directly themselves (if they are the state's service provider for online requests).

However, there is *always* a way to procure same-day service for this sort of thing. The issue is if the state allows a surrogate or proxy to handle it for the person requesting the documents.

Vitalchek is an odd duck, I tried using them to get a copy of my BC here in NJ, and they told me at least 2 weeks, so I decided to take the 2 hour drive to Trenton to get a copy myself. Took all of 5 minutes and when I told the clerk that I tried to get if from vital check they told me that they were in the same building and that they just walked on down to get a copy so they could send it.

I tried to go thru and read the posts but did we ever get an update on whether Gmom was able to go? I attempted to find the post but could have overlooked it.

Post 49. She never updated after that so I assume granny and the rest of the clan were good to go.;)

We had it happen to us, we were sitting eatting dinner at Bubba Gumps the night before the cruise and my mother realized she left her passport at home. We had someone break into our house to get the passport. He drove to the airport, but was in such a hurry, didn't think about it, parked at baggage claim, ran inside, paid a fee to have the passport put on the next plane to Miami. They told us what flight it would be on, we went to the airport, picked it up at baggage claim. Wasn't more than $50, I know for sure.

But then the guy who parked in the baggage claim, came back out and his car was towed. So he had to walk 4 miles to the tow lot, and pay to get his car back. So, my mother picked up that fee also.

Bottom line, check and check again before you leave the house.

Joe

That sounds like a few scenes in a vacation gone bad movie! Geesh!

• 6 months later...

Sorry for not responding to this last year! Yes Grandma got to go! The BC came in time, ironically, so did hurricane Ida and we didn't leave port until a day later. It was a "cruise to nowhere".

Grandma didn't get to snorkle in Cozumel, as that was the port they cut. they did refund 1/2 our money and we all tried to make the best of it.

I had a good time, but my travel mates, not so much.....

Archived