Trying to decide which family accomodations on the Brilliance

I did a 12 night Med last year. 1st we had an outside, then b/c of room problem, we got moved to a balcony. You really don't need it for a Med cruise--here's why: Many times, you are sailing at dark and/or in the shipping channels, so you can't see much. When you are in port, you could be looking at another ship, or port/freight stuff. Plus, with 2 teens, I doubt you are likely to lounge in your room while you are in port. In the AM, if I wasn't rushing off the ship, I preferred to go and eat breakfast with a nice view. Thus, I would get the 2 outside cabins. Plus, if your ship allows smoking on balconies (and many do), you could get smoked out and not even want to be on your balcony. Elaine

We loved the balcony and used it a ton, though it was cool a few days. just wrapped up in a blanket.

Boulders, the Equinox trip I was looking at was the 5th of July, which does indeed go to Istanbul for 2 nights. It starts and ends in Rome, so yours is obviously a different one. I have always dreamed of going to Barcelona, so the Brilliance works better for my family in that way too. Still, you will have an amazing trip. The Equinox gets so much praise and Celebrity has a great reputation.

Oops, my bad. When I had priced the cruises back around June/July, the Brilliance was about $5000 more than the Equinox. So, the Brilliance was a no-go for us. The Equinox prices have gone up some and it looks like the Brilliance has come down. Ah well. With the ages of my kids, I try to get the largest accomodation I can that will sleep all 4 and Celebrity has very good 3rd/4th rates.

Enjoy your cruise!

you and your boys will love Fat Tires bike tours--it's 4-5 hours long and it goes thru most of the city with the major tourist stops. It's very reasonable ($40 or so) and a lot of fun. The guides are great. We did this last year with a group of 20 from our cruise and had a blast. Elaine

We booked the bike thru Viator.com and a few other things in Europe last year. Very easy, no issues, but you can easily book directly thru Fat Tire--English speaking, good website. If you book directly with Fat Tire, please put a kuddos in for "Buster" our British guide on the bike tour--he was so great and fun. Viator is just a US middleman for the tour operators---but I like using them for the convenience and the prices are ususally the same or even better.

When going to Europe, I now look at Viator to see what they offer in other cities to get ideas of what to do, see photos, plus read the reviews to see how people liked it. If easy transportation (Switzerland), I do a DIY tour, otherwise, I book with viator (hill town tour of Tuscany), esp. where the operator might not have a website, only take Euros, etc. have fun! Elaine (ps--I love to get movies that were filmed where I am going---for Barcelona--for my kids--that was Cheetah Girls II---but I'm sure that would not be on the top of your boys' list--LOL).

Archived