Paper Luggage Tags

wavefairy

I was just informed by my travel agent that we will now print off our luggage tags for our upcoming cruise. We are traveling to Buenos Aires in January for our cruise on the Star Princess. My travel agent also expressed concerns about this new process. We will be cutting out our paper luggage tags and stapling them onto our luggage handles! Luggage tags have been previously sent out by Princess with the cruise answer book and have always had a sticky adhesive backing.

Running off luggage tags on an ink jet printer, stapling tags onto luggage handles and hoping that the tags stay on through international transfers sounds like a total nightmare!! Bringing along a stapler for me to put on my luggage after it comes off an international flight is a bit much!!

Has anyone had experience with this "NEW SYSTEM" with Princess? It seems as though Princess is starting to cut costs in the wrong places at the expense of the passengers!

Best Regards,

Wavefairy

Lots of folks on other lines have been doing this for quite a while and have found some useful tips. While it is sad to see the old Princess luggage tags go away, it is the way of the future. You can use clear packaging tape to strengthen the paper, or you can even have them laminated for less than $2 at the nearest Office Depot, Staples or other office services company. You can either staple them around your luggage handles, or use something stronger (you can use a hole punch and tie them on with zip ties.)

Thank you everyone for routing me to the right thread. I am just not buying he fact that Princess thinks this is an "enhancement" for the passenger. We all know it is an enhancement for the cruise line...saving them time and money of course!! This is Princess' biggest boondoggle yet!!

We will definitely be looking at other cruise lines that keep our cruise vacation "stress free."

Best Regards,

Wavefairyy

Sorry but I must say this. I find it funny that someone would switch cruise lines over a luggage tag. Why would you put it on your luggage prior to getting ready to board anyway and risk having it ripped off in transit with flights. Don't sweat the simple things. Enjoy your cruise and worry about more important things going on in this world!

While I certainly wouldn't switch cruiselines over it (and I can see the writing on the wall -- I'm sure all cruise lines will be doing it, if they aren't already), I would just like to register my feeble protest over this.

As a busy single mom who also works full-time, I resent having to add this to the LONG list of things I have to do before I can leave on vacation. Whereas before I got the luggage tags, filled them out, and attached them to my luggage, now I have to print them out myself, take them somewhere to have them laminated at an extra cost, go and track down a place to purchase "zip ties" (I don't even know what zip ties are for goodness sake....), and assemble this entire art project before I attach them.

Nope, not happy about it.

If the info on these new luggage tags is correct, just think, you will save all that time filling them out as they are supposed to be personalized now. ;)

Don't bother going through all the hassle of taking them out and having them laminated, just get a roll of clear packing tape for a couple bucks at your local discount store, and do it yourself, it only takes a few seconds. They will be stronger and stay on longer than the original ones that Princess used to send. :D

While I certainly wouldn't switch cruiselines over it (and I can see the writing on the wall -- I'm sure all cruise lines will be doing it, if they aren't already), I would just like to register my feeble protest over this.

As a busy single mom who also works full-time, I resent having to add this to the LONG list of things I have to do before I can leave on vacation. Whereas before I got the luggage tags, filled them out, and attached them to my luggage, now I have to print them out myself, take them somewhere to have them laminated at an extra cost, go and track down a place to purchase "zip ties" (I don't even know what zip ties are for goodness sake....), and assemble this entire art project before I attach them.

Nope, not happy about it.

Hmmm.... with your time so limited, you probably could print a luggage tag in less time than it takes to post a comment on CC about something that you can't change.

Sorry but I must say this. I find it funny that someone would switch cruise lines over a luggage tag. Why would you put it on your luggage prior to getting ready to board anyway and risk having it ripped off in transit with flights. Don't sweat the simple things. Enjoy your cruise and worry about more important things going on in this world!

Princess has suggested in the past that the Princess luggage tags be put on before your flight so that if the luggage is delayed, it is easier for it to get to the ship. The Princess tags can get airline personnel attention among a sea of other suitcases.

Hmmm.... with your time so limited, you probably could print a luggage tag in less time than it takes to post a comment on CC about something that you can't change.

My travel agent has told me recently that only 60% of Princess customers are "computer active."

That leaves 40% that cannot print out the luggage tags at home. For those with travel agents, that means the travel agents must print them out and mail them to the clients, an extra cost that Princess has put on these agents.

I am not sure what happens to those without computers who purchased their cruise directly from Princess.

My travel agent has told me recently that only 60% of Princess customers are "computer active."

That leaves 40% that cannot print out the luggage tags at home. For those with travel agents, that means the travel agents must print them out and mail them to the clients, an extra cost that Princess has put on these agents.

I am not sure what happens to those without computers who purchased their cruise directly from Princess.

For those passengers who are not computer active, they would have to have their boarding passes sent to them anyway wouldn't they? So I don't see where the added expense would come in for the travel agent (short of a printed page on their computer) as they would be sent to the client with the boarding passes, wouldn't they? And remember, if you don't want to print them off, you can just get them at the port and fill them out there. Even boarding passes aren't necessary anymore as long as you have a confirmed booking.

Sorry, but it seems to me a huge fuss is being made over a few luggage tags that many get upset about when they don't arrive early enough for their liking by mail the old way. This way, access to them is simple, and there is no more waiting to see if they will arrive in time.

Each time any change is made, some go off the deep end complaining as if because they don't like the idea, they will change it back. It isn't going to happen in this age of the computer, emails, e-docs and extras that are no longer needed to be mailed the old fashion way. ;)

I can post while I am at home doing other necessary activities like laundry or while at work. Finding extra time to run errands is the issue.:(

Thanks for the thought though.

The TA's may very well print out the same paper tags as you would at home & charge you for the mailing service.

We have always put our tags on our luggage before leaving home, but we always fly in the day of the cruise. We've been printing ours for the last couple of years now with Carnival and Celebrity so it's no big deal. I know some people have said this is too much work, but I print them on card stock, laminate them, punch a hole in each end and secure them around my handle with a cable tie...they've never come off.

You won't have to take a stapler with you and you can get the laminating stuff at any office supply store or even Walmart; it doesn't have to be good hot laminating machine kind you have in your office at work. Cable ties can be found just about anywhere too, but for sure at Radio Shack.

Has anyone had experience with this "NEW SYSTEM" with Princess? It seems as though Princess is starting to cut costs in the wrong places at the expense of the passengers!
I printed out our luggage tags for our January cruise yesterday. They seemed pretty stable even without the packing tape but I put that over the top and over the ends to strengthen it. It wasn't a big deal. FYI, I use 20-lb paper stock so if someone is using lighter paper, they may have a different experience.

Some people have been asking for luggage tags with all of their information on it and seem to be horrified when told they had to fill it in. With the new luggage tags, they're getting what they want. You know the old saying, "Be careful what you wish for."

Wavefairy -- I emailed you a few days ago. :) I'm going to be in M'head in a month and would love to get together with you.

We did it for our first Carnival cruise in Feb. Folded the paper as directed and stapled at the hotel prior to going to the dock. It is not that difficult to find a stapler to use in an airport or a hotel...you just have to ask. No issue, bags got to our cabin and we noted that the luggage takes were in 'as new' condition. I think a lot of people are making a mountain out of a molehill because they are resistent to change. On past cruises, they always had tags that you could fill out at the port as well. I am sure that this will still be the case. If this is our only challenge during the day, we would consider it a spectacular day!

For those passengers who are not computer active, they would have to have their boarding passes sent to them anyway wouldn't they? So I don't see where the added expense would come in for the travel agent (short of a printed page on their computer) as they would be sent to the client with the boarding passes, wouldn't they? In the past, Princess would mail the luggage tags, not the TA. And remember, if you don't want to print them off, you can just get them at the port and fill them out there. Not if you have a Princess transfer from the airport. You give your luggage to Princess at the airport, not the port. Will the Princess agents at the airport have luggage tags? Even boarding passes aren't necessary anymore as long as you have a confirmed booking.

Sorry, but it seems to me a huge fuss is being made over a few luggage tags . So you would have no problem if the airlines wanted you to print out luggage tags at home for your flights?

Each time any change is made, some go off the deep end complaining as if because they don't like the idea, they will change it back. It isn't going to happen in this age of the computer, emails, e-docs and extras that are no longer needed to be mailed the old fashion way. ;)

See comments in red above.

Some changes are an improvement, some are not. Some people do not mind buying special printer cardboard, driving to a place to have tags laminated, etc. I find that a hassle that is not an improvement.

In another example of using the internet to make things easier, consider that airlines charge more to check luggage at the airport than if you do it online within a day of the flight. People who travel without computer access are forced to always pay more because they do not travel with a computer.

It looks like no matter what, you don't like the idea of printing off your own luggage tags, and I respect your views. But what I am trying to say is that you don't have any other option now except having your TA print them off for you.

To answer your questions, NO, I would not mind at all printing off my own luggage tags for a flight, I think that is a GREAT idea and I hope the airlines make this change soon. It would cut down on the lines to check bags at the airport, IMHO!

Some TA's have everything go to them first and things are not sent directly from Princess, so this might be what happens from now on for those that don't own a computer.

I would guess that the Princess reps at the airport have access to luggage tags, if they don't, then waiting for the luggage to be unloaded and then claiming your own might be an option. I know that those ports where the luggage was taken on a truck to our port, they did have extra luggage tags there if you needed them. ;)

I just don't understand the huge deal with this. Some are treating it like a life altering event.:eek:

Thanks, You guys inspired me to look for my tags for Mon. cruise. 2 X cruises within 5 days of each other. Got E tags for one, Funky tags in mail for 2nd, same agency, different agents. Looks like 1st agent too lazy to get docs from Celebrity. On Etags for Mon. I pasted them to cardboard, covered both sides in clear mailing tape, poked a hole in them and ready to go. Felt like grammer school art class. Thanks to OP for tape trick. Even got my bag closed which took 10 min.

I really try to refrain from posting negative remarks on cc. However, this subject makes me just shake my head in dismay! Think about it, some people are getting upset over the "stress" of printing their own luggage tags for a luxury vacation they can afford:confused:??? Ya gotta just put things in perspective. There are so many stressers in most of our lives these days...like illness, job loss, etc. I just can't imagine printing luggage tags yourself could even cross one's mind as an additional "stress".

I printed my own for another cruise line recently. It was great to get your tags whenever you wanted them, have your name on them already, and print as many as you wanted. They seemed really sturdy and I did not laminate or do anything extra. I used scotch tape to fasten them. They worked great.

I do not mean to sound negative, but is this REALLY so bad?

Janet

I don't want to start a new thread so maybe someone can answers this here. If I take a case of water, and or soda and maybe a box with wine ( I know, I read all the posts about how much you can and cannot bring) any suggestions on how to tag the items if I don't have enough luggage tags?

As always, thank you all for your input

Archived