Paper Luggage Tags

wavefairy

I did some tags recently for a client on HAL and they were fairly sturdy, being folded over three times and then stapled.

I wonder, does anyone have a copy of scan of the new Princess ones? I'd like to see if I can get some plastic sleeves that fit the dimensions, but I don't have a ticketed cruise post January but within the 75-day limit.

I just don't understand the huge deal with this.

We can continue to agree to have a friendly disagreement over this.

Old method: Five minutes to fill in and attach all luggage tags

New method: Five minutes to print out the luggage tags. Then one to two hours with a shopping trip for materials for the arts and crafts project to make them sturdy.

I was just informed by my travel agent that we will now print off our luggage tags for our upcoming cruise. We are traveling to Buenos Aires in January for our cruise on the Star Princess. My travel agent also expressed concerns about this new process. We will be cutting out our paper luggage tags and stapling them onto our luggage handles! Luggage tags have been previously sent out by Princess with the cruise answer book and have always had a sticky adhesive backing.

Running off luggage tags on an ink jet printer, stapling tags onto luggage handles and hoping that the tags stay on through international transfers sounds like a total nightmare!! Bringing along a stapler for me to put on my luggage after it comes off an international flight is a bit much!!

Has anyone had experience with this "NEW SYSTEM" with Princess? It seems as though Princess is starting to cut costs in the wrong places at the expense of the passengers!

Best Regards,

Wavefairy

Ya don't put them on until you reach your destination!Pack a little stapler and take it with you.

I just don't understand the huge deal with this. Some are treating it like a life altering event.:eek:

It IS! So is going through the line on lido deck with out the trays. Try to juggle the entree plate, your salad, your soup and your drinks. If you have kids with you....:eek: Service has sure gone down the tube with Princess since Carnival bought them.

It IS! So is going through the line on lido deck with out the trays. Try to juggle the entree plate, your salad, your soup and your drinks. If you have kids with you....:eek: Service has sure gone down the tube with Princess since Carnival bought them.

I don't think Princess ever did had trays in the buffet, and the "entree" plate is actually a large platter upon which it should be easy to have your entree and your salad and soup cup -- especially since, unlike Oliver Twist, you can always return to a station (not line) to get more. Meanwhile I shudder to think of kids manuevering trays in small spaces -- disaster waiting to happen . . .

With all due respect, The tray thing in the buffet has not changed since Carnival came into the picture. Princess has never had trays, at least not in the last 20 years we have sailed on them. I think you must be confusing them with another cruise line.

I used these on my recent Carnival cruise. It was neat they came out all pre-printed with our information already on them. I didn't bother with any arts and crafts, just printed and tucked the pages into a folder I always travel with which contains our other travel documentation like confirmations.

At the hotel in the morning I was pulling the tag pages out and the girl at the counter smiled and passed me a stapler without even asking.

Luggage arrived intact and on time in our cabin.

Don't stress about these people, it's actually very liberating! And while I would agree it's a cost saving measure on Princess' part it also saves alot of (wasteful) paper.

At the hotel in the morning I was pulling the tag pages out and the girl at the counter smiled and passed me a stapler without even asking.

That's fine if you are in a hotel. Just try to borrow a stapler in the airport after claiming your luggage. You may have to drag your luggage over several floors and wait in lines to find one.

I don't want to start a new thread so maybe someone can answers this here. If I take a case of water, and or soda and maybe a box with wine ( I know, I read all the posts about how much you can and cannot bring) any suggestions on how to tag the items if I don't have enough luggage tags?

As always, thank you all for your input

In the past, we have taken a luggage tag and pasted it on the plastic crate in which we put our Pepsi, water and box o'wine. Hubby gave the crate to a porter with a tip and it got to our cabin all right. I guess the next time we cruise, we'll figure out a way to do this with the new tags.

Toto2, I agree with you. This is not a life altering occurance.

We have had to print luggage tags for other cruise lines and they worked fine. We use cardstock as another posted and the clear packing tape. We leave the edges of the tape free and cut it longer. Treat them just like the old Princess tags and fold them thru the handle and the tape sticks to itself just like the old tags. They do great on the airlines and no staples, tie wraps or frustration needed.

Voila!!! Princess luggage tag knock-offs:)

oooh maybe I could start a new business for designer cruise tags? :p

Well, sometimes we just have to 'rough' it. It might even been so ugly that we are actually forced to write our name and cabin number on a baggage check at the dock-and then put it on our suitcase. These are challenging economic times and we all need to do our bit. Fortunately we do carry on.

We're going on an NCL cruise next May--and just found out that we most likely will be printing out luggage tags along with the rest of the e-docs. So, it just goes to show you that eventually ALL the cruise lines are going this way.

It would appear that our recent cruise on the Emerald Princess may have been the last one where we actually received our luggage tags the "old fashioned way"...in the mail.:rolleyes:

Well...

My DH and I are fortunate to live about 5 hours from the port where we board.I cant comment on the luggage tag flight issue...But I can comment on putting our luggage tags on our luggage when we get to the port. We park our car at the port terminal parking lot and walk up to the first person accepting luggage and have him take it for us. I cant imagine standing in the parking lot trying to staple these on our luggage.....I think I will put them on at home before we leave and take our chances....

Got my pre-cruise "docs" for my January cruise. It had the "Cruise Answer Book," forms for selecting shore excursions (but no excursion booklet or port information), and a note that said to print out my luggage tags. Even though my cruise is before the stated date for implementing the new e-docs, that's all there was. :(

Got my pre-cruise "docs" for my January cruise. It had the "Cruise Answer Book," forms for selecting shore excursions (but no excursion booklet or port information), and a note that said to print out my luggage tags. Even though my cruise is before the stated date for implementing the new e-docs, that's all there was. :(

I received luggage tags for my cruise on Island Princess that leaves 3 days after yours.

Selfishly, I'm actually looking forward to the edocs. Right now, the tags, shorex and booklets go to the agency head office for review, off to me for review and then off to my clients. Sometimes, this means the clients don't receive it until two weeks (or less) before sailing since Princess doesn't always get it out in a timely manner.

With the new system, I'll be able to review and print everything 75 days ahead without playing the luggage tag countdown waiting game. I'm wondering if the news tags might be conducive to being printed on peel and stick paper too. I've being do the new HAL edocs for a while and their triple fold baggage tags travel well, though I think the hole punch and tie is a better idea than hauling a stapler out in the airport.

That's fine if you are in a hotel. Just try to borrow a stapler in the airport after claiming your luggage. You may have to drag your luggage over several floors and wait in lines to find one.

So I guess this means you fly up the day of?

My only thought is to bring a small stapler with you in your carry on or some packing tape. I guess this is yet another advantage of going up the day before.

Oh please folks!!! All this angst over the issue of printing your own luggage tags?????????? :rolleyes:

You are considering changing cruiselines over this???? Consider how this sounds, "We really like Princess much better, but at least Brand X gave us real luggage tags!!" :eek:

Hours long shopping trips to get "supplies"???? I am not sure where in the woods you live, but I have stores in a five minute drive with packaging tape. Maybe you can pick one up next time you go into town for supplies. Chances are there is a roll in your junk drawer.

How to attach them without standing in line for hours at airport??? Carry a small roll of tape with you.

How the heck did the buffet get involved in this??????? :confused:

Majoring in the minors this is, not even of the scope of a tempest in a teapot. :rolleyes:

Oh please folks!!! All this angst over the issue of printing your own luggage tags?????????? :rolleyes:

You are considering changing cruiselines over this???? Consider how this sounds, "We really like Princess much better, but at least Brand X gave us real luggage tags!!" :eek:

Hours long shopping trips to get "supplies"???? I am not sure where in the woods you live, but I have stores in a five minute drive with packaging tape. Maybe you can pick one up next time you go into town for supplies. Chances are there is a roll in your junk drawer.

How to attach them without standing in line for hours at airport??? Carry a small roll of tape with you.

How the heck did the buffet get involved in this??????? :confused:

Majoring in the minors this is, not even of the scope of a tempest in a teapot. :rolleyes:

Thanks Doug...couldn't agree more! Not a big deal folks!! We printed out our own luggage tags when we sailed Carnival. ...really painless:)

C’mon folks…it’s not a big issue.

You don’t need to run to the store and purchase laminating supplies or packing tape, unless you want to.

Plain Scotch/Magic/Cellophane tape will work just as well. It’s hard to imagine a household that doesn’t have some type of tape. Print your tags, cut them to the size you want, then put a strip of tape on each side that extends from each end at least 1 inch. You can tape the ends together after wrapping the tag around the suitcase handle. If you want a tag like the old Princess self-stick tags you can extend the tape about 1/8th to 1/4th of an inch on each side in addition to the extended ends. Then you can stick the tags together all the way down and not just at the ends.

Another suggestion is to use label stock. We send a lot of our mail USPS priority so I have the peel n’ stick labels on hand. You can purchase these from USPS online and they’ll deliver to your house. They do cost $9.00 per pack, but you’ll have a supply that will last a long time and can be used for postage, labeling boxes, or any other use you might have for a label. Here’s the url to buy:

https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10052&productId=10001712&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10000002&top_category=10000002&categoryId=10000071&top=&currentPage=0&sort=&viewAll=N&rn=CategoriesDisplay&WT.ac=10001712

Archived