Repositioning Cruise - Pros n Cons?

Luluwa

I did a repositioning cruise on the Elation in 2003 and really enjoyed it. I'm not sure if they all follow the same pattern but this particular cruise was two weeks long and made up of mostly sea days. We only ported three times- Alcapulco, Jamaica and Cozumel and went through the Panama Canal. I really liked he fact there were so many days at sea. Also the cost was really great for a cruise through the Panama Canal which had been high on my list. The only negative I can really remember had more to do with the length than with the fact it was a reposition cruise. Being at two weeks long meant the age of the cruisers was pretty old (strange for Carnival in my experience). I mean like nursing home age. The older age wouldn't have bother me except that the clubs were all empty and shut down at like 10pm, even the midnight buffet was moved to 10:30 because everyone was going to bed so early. So much for Carnival's party reputation- LOL. I still had a great time and the good thing about all the elderly passengers was that there were NO CHAIR HOGS!!!!! I'd wonder out to the pool around noon and there'd be a lounger right next to the pool. In fact they hardly ever went out around the pool and you could just have the hot tub all to yourself. Never seen another cruise like it! Now the Card Room- that was another story, it was full of bridge players all day long!

We have done 5 repos and would highly recommend them. We flew to New Orleans from Baltimore one time and took a 9 nt. cruise back to Baltimore. We have done 2 transAtlantics, and a couple of other repos from Balt. to Florida. You get to go to ports not usually offered on the round trip back to the same departure point. The prices are generally cheaper and the cruises longer. Remember, you will need passports since these are not closed loop cruises.

We have done a three day repo from LA to Vancouver on HAL in 2003. No ports, just three sea days, more crew than pax, more deck chairs than pax, kids had way too much fun. Lower dining room was closed, Pinnacle closed, stores were closed til the last day, then a major blowout sale on World Cruise stuff. Hit a major storm off of Oregon. Had a blast. Wish that cruise could be repeated.:D

We are doing another repo in April on HAL-San Diego to Vancouver with ports in Catalina, Astoria and Victoria. We did almost the same itin on the Splendor on a "Swine Flu" cruise in June. Some of the West Coast repo cruises were around $50/day this fall.

If we had the time we would be on the Elation repo cruise. Have to settle on a cruise in March to say goodbye to her.

We have done a three day repo from LA to Vancouver on HAL in 2003. No ports, just three sea days, more crew than pax, more deck chairs than pax, kids had way too much fun. Lower dining room was closed, Pinnacle closed, stores were closed til the last day, then a major blowout sale on World Cruise stuff. Hit a major storm off of Oregon. Had a blast. Wish that cruise could be repeated.:D

My HAL Zuiderdam was a 4 night repositioning cruise from Vancouver to Ft Lauderdale, our part was Vancouver to Los Angeles. I think however MOST passengers were getting of in LA and we were being replaced by passengers going 18 more nights. I loved every minute of it,,but we did port in Seattle.

It was rainy in Vancouver (we stayed there for 3 days) and really rainy in Seattle but as we headed south for 2 sea days the weather was perfect. We wandered around the ship and couldn't figure out where everyone was, the main pool with the cover was not very crowded. Since we are not pool people we didn't explore but on the second sea day I found everyone. There was an aft pool and there were all the passengers, excluding us! Because we were heading south that part of the ship stayed in daylight all day, hence the crowd ,,and there were plentiful kids but as I said, we saw no one because they were at the pool.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I actually enjoyed having to fly only one way since we got off in Long Beach,,16 miles from home. That is the reason I am trying my first CCL trip. No travel via plane (round trip on the ship),,,,and it was dirt cheap. HAL not so much cheap but I am sure the experience is going to be a bit different too.

IF you've ever sailed a repositioning cruise, tell me the pro's and con's. I sort of think I'd like to take one.... help me IF you have experience. :rolleyes:

Yes, a Tran-Atlanta/Western Mediterranean 2009.. Booked another for fall 2010.. Alaskan/Trans-Pacific Asia (Russia, China, Japan, So, Korea).

Itching for a So. America repo cruise this spring (just have to convince the CC company I NEED it).

Con's.. Only one.... having to disembark after 18 glorious days cruising....

Pro's.... Everything good you like about cruising times 18 days~~!!~~

The absolute best part was the TOTAL cruise cost for 18 days was less than the last 7 day Mediterranean portion would have cost alone. All three of the repo cruises are LESS than a normal 1 week Caribbean cruise.

Have not done a Carnival reposition, but did a Holland American reposition from Vancouver to Tampa via the Amazon a year ago. It was, as one would expect, a tremendous experience.

Pros....a $40,000 35 day cruise for $20,000! Got to know a lot of really great people. Are still friends with a handful of the crew from that cruise. Service was exceptional. Food had more local add-ons as the cruise progressed which made for interesting menus because the Chef had more freedom to be creative.

Cons....35 days was too long for me,(DW loved it and would have done another two weeks). Entertainment was weak....I suspect because of the cost of flying in entertainers every week. Blew out an A/C unit half way through the cruise....not good for heading into the Equatorial heat of the Amazon.

This was more of an "adventure" than a standard cruise and we would do it again in a heartbeat if we win the lottery.

Yes, a Tran-Atlanta/Western Mediterranean 2009.. Booked another for fall 2010.. Alaskan/Trans-Pacific Asia (Russia, China, Japan, So, Korea).

Itching for a So. America repo cruise this spring (just have to convince the CC company I NEED it).

Con's.. Only one.... having to disembark after 18 glorious days cruising....

Pro's.... Everything good you like about cruising times 18 days~~!!~~

The absolute best part was the TOTAL cruise cost for 18 days was less than the last 7 day Mediterranean portion would have cost alone. All three of the repo cruises are LESS than a normal 1 week Caribbean cruise.

Could you give some details on the fall 2010 trip out of Alaska:confused:? Sounds intriguing! Cruiseline, etc.? Thanks!

Everything is the same on a repo cruise as far as activities and shows. A big difference is that you will probably embark and debark at widely separated ports. This may require some rather long flights. For our transatlantic cruise we flew from Dulles to Frankfort then on to Rome. If time and money allowed we'd do another repo in a heartbeat.

Repsitoned with the Pride this past spring through the Panama Canal. Super - super- super Would do it agian tomorrow!! The only down side (not really a con) for us was the fact that we had to fly out to the west coast to board the ship. Don't mind flying but there were several "adventures" and it took us nearly 18 hours to get from Norfolk International in Virginia to LAX - just a bit of a delay. :eek:

This may sound like a stupid question - but how do you find when the re-positioning cruises are being offered? I checked on the Carnival website cruise search engine under "special cruises" but can't find anything. Thanks for any and all help

This may sound like a stupid question - but how do you find when the re-positioning cruises are being offered? I checked on the Carnival website cruise search engine under "special cruises" but can't find anything. Thanks for any and all help

Also look for ships that reposition from one area to another.

The Spirit does it's summers in Alaska, winters in Mexico and a few weeks in spring and fall going back and forth to Hawaii. The ship out of New York (Miracle?) might do something similar.

On the West Coast the Alaska ships all do some sort of repo in the fall and spring. Also look for ships changing itins to Europe/Carribbean/the States. Probably need to go to a Brick & Mortar TA and get the cruiselines' brochures. These cruises are only offered as a one time or a few time basis.

The Spirit does it's summers in Alaska, winters in Mexico and a few weeks in spring and fall going back and forth to Hawaii. The ship out of New York (Miracle?) might do something similar.

I'm pretty sure that the Miracle will sail empty from New York to Florida and from Florida back to New York in April. Thats what I read on Malcolm's tweet.

I am booked on my first solo cruise on the Elation reposition to Mobile in April. I don't play Bridge (LOL!), but I do enjoy my Gameboy and a good book. I am looking forward to 15 days of relaxation.

CONGRATULATIONS! That sounds heavenly! Tell us about it when you return. :D

Archived