Advise and Suggestions for a first timer

nmt12

WOW...You guys ROCK...so much great information....I am forwarding this link to all my girlfriends so they can also create lists from your suggestions.

Please keep them coming....out of the 6 of us....Only one has taken a cruise before and she took hers on Princess.

Welcome to the club of cruisers. Just a warning, cruising is like a drug, once you do it once you're hooked!

Ditto again to the regular dining. It sounds awkward to eat dinner with total strangers, but the cruise lines are very good about pairing people with like groups (kids, no kids, ages,, etc.) One cruise my husband and I were by ourselves and were completely bored! It's better to have other people to talk about your day, plans for the next port, etc. Also, the waiters will get to know you by name and your dining preferences. By the end of the cruise the wait staff are like old friends (a perk you'll miss if you have a different waiter each night).

I also agree with the travel clock. Very annoying to wake up and not know what time it is.

The last tip I heard on this website was post-it notes. I had never used this before, but we used them every day! We would leave notes for each other on the mirror in the room, stating where we were or when we wanted to meet up. Much better than the frustration of trying to find somebody.

Have a great time. I'll be sailing Indy for the first time in January, and can't wait!

I thought of something else. Bring your own medicine....anything you might need just in case. I pack bonine for sea sickness, cough drops, tylenol or the like, cold medicine, anything else you can think of because it is all very expensive if you have to buy it in the shop on board. Last year I forgot qtips and bought a package of 24 for $4 onboard. Yikes!

Also I always bring my own hair conditioner.

My advice is do away with the my time dining, the other poster is right. You will meet such wonderful people at your table and they will have so much to offer you.

I really agree with this too. The "eating with strangers" part of traditional cruise dining was something I expected to hate but has become one of my favorite things. My tablemates at dinner have always done something really fun with their day that's completely different from what I did -- sometimes it's just cool to hear about, sometimes it becomes ideas for later in the cruise or the next time in that port!

Other things that I don't think have been mentioned yet...

If you have any interest at all, catch the ice show; be warned that you generally need tickets to get in. These are free; they're just trying to manage the number of people trying to fit into each of the showings. Watch the cruise compass for an announcement of when you can get them.

If you haven't already, skim the excursions the cruise line offers in each of the ports you're going to -- they're listed on their web site. Some people (myself included) like to do a lot of research about the various different things you can do (both offered by the cruise line or on your own) in each port; other people do very little planning and prefer to play it by ear. The reason I suggest skimming the cruise line excursions now at a minimum is that a couple popular excusions in each port will typically sell out, so if you spot something that your heart is set on doing you can book it now. (Also, I prefer booking all of my excursions early so I have more time to relax on vacation vs. spending time getting them on the ship, but that too comes down to personal preference.)

My advice is do away with the my time dining.

Here's the other side ... you could be stuck with some pretty strange folks, as we have. Unruly kids, people who prefer to speak exclusively with each other, "silent partners," the other extreme (those who just won't shut up) ... of course, you can request a change of table, but it's a crapshoot at best. Granted, most people are pleasant and glad to be on the ship ... and once in a while, you come across some very special people. We did so on our last cruise ... when we opted for Anytime Dining aboard the Emerald Princess. There's no guarantee one way or another ... but we like the idea of not having to be anywhere at any given time. Since this is your first cruise, the flexibility could work to your advantage. It's all about what you prefer ... that's the beauty of cruising! You'll be fine either way.

Glad you picked up some helpful ideas here ... and calling from St. Thomas will impress your family!

If you mean....getting a cabin with a balcony....We already did!!!! (Whooo Hooo) We have an aft balcony room....and

I have now booked 6 excursions

SeaTrek Kayak Adventure - Labadee

Dragon's Tail Coaster - Labadee

BOSS Underwater Adventure - St Thomas

Fortifications Segway Tour - San Juan PR

SeaTrek Personal Watercraft Experience - Driver - Labadee

The ATV Quad Adventure - St Marteen

OMG!!! Just thinking about it, I am giddy!!!

If you mean....getting a cabin with a balcony....We already did!!!! (Whooo Hooo) We have an aft balcony room....and

I have now booked 6 excursions

SeaTrek Kayak Adventure - Labadee

Dragon's Tail Coaster - Labadee

BOSS Underwater Adventure - St Thomas

Fortifications Segway Tour - San Juan PR

SeaTrek Personal Watercraft Experience - Driver - Labadee

The ATV Quad Adventure - St Marteen

OMG!!! Just thinking about it, I am giddy!!!

Ummmm.....We'll leave it at that. ;)

Archived