Questions about Navigator of the Sea - 1st cruise

Hi,

My husband and I are thinking about booking a 5-night Caribbean cruise from 12/19-12/24 on the Navigator of the Sea leaving from Miami. We have never cruised before, so I have been doing some homework and reading a lot of mixed reviews about the Navigator of the Sea and even RCI.

Have any of you been on this particular ship on a Caribbean cruise and if so, how was your experience?

We are in our 30's, don't drink or gamble much... we just want to soak in some sun, lounge around and have a fun & relaxing vacation on a budget.

We'll probably book an inside cabin... have any of you booked a guaranteed state room? Is that a good idea?

If you don't think this is a good cruise, do you have an alternative cruise in mind?

Thank you so much in advance! I'm so glad to have found this site! I have been reading a lot of good tips for the past couple of hours. :)

We are booked on this same ship but for Jan 2010. Much the same situation as you - DH and I are mid thirties (first time travelling without the kids :eek:), just looking forward to relaxing.

I cannot tell you any info on the ship as I have never been on NOS before. The only other cruise we have taken was something like 10 years ago but it was with RCL as well and we loved every second.

We booked a balcony guarantee and are thrilled with our assignment, we got a hump balcony smack in the middle of the ship. For us, it worked out cheaper than the Promenade Room we originally booked.

This board has given me a favourable outlook on the Navigator, I am looking forward to it and I do not think you have anything to worry about. Just remember that there will ALWAYS be someone complaining about something no matter what the trip is like.

Thanks for the note! I always feel uneasy about trying something new, so hearing about others' experiences is very valuable. You are right about there being always someone complaining about something, haha. What a deal on your balcony suite, congrats! If we end up booking the cruise and going, I will be sure to check in with you before your cruise. :)

Navigator is our favorite ship in that class. It is gorgeous! And you will have plenty of options to either be occupied or just chill out. The snack foods at the Cafe Promenade are yummy and no extra charge. There is soft serve ice cream out by the pool at no charge. There is a charge for ice cream at Ben & Jerry's. I don't see how you could not have a fantastic time on Navigator. FYI, the food in the dining room and buffet will be good, but do NOT expect 4 star cuisine. You can order as many appetizers, soups, salads and entrees as you want. And if you don't care for what you ordered, simply ask the waiter to bring you something else. Also, usually the waiter's recommendation is the best choice for dinner.

I am cruising for the 2nd time on the Navigator December 10! The Navigator was my first cruise ship, and I loved it! I'm cruised on this class of ships a few times since. The promenade is really cool, and like someone else said, the snacks there are yummy! I always enjoy lounging on the 2nd pool deck by the main pool...you can see the action, but it's a little quieter!

I started out with an inside guarantee, was given an adequate inside room in a good, mid-ship location (category N). There was a residency rate later on, and I switched to a promenade room for less than I paid!

All in all, I think you really will enjoy the Navigator!

We are on the Navigator right before that cruise, 12/14-12/19. The Navigator is my favorite Royal Caribbean ship. I like the decor the best and I like the size of the Voyager class.

I do feel that RCI's quality has gone down a bit but we got such a great deal that I am planning on eating in Chops/Portofino's a lot to get better food. Got a large hump D2 balcony for less than $900 total (2 people).

Try it and I bet you will have a great time! If you can go a few days earlier on the 12/14 sailing, you could get a balcony room for less than the inside you are looking at!

Our entire family will be on this very cruise! This will be our second cruise on NOS - we loved it the first time! It is a very nice ship with plenty to do for all ages and desires.

Just my opinion, but I would definitely consider a balcony if you can afford it. The cabins feel so much larger and having the balcony space and view is awesome.

My second cruise was on Navigator. When I first got on it, I thought the ship was a mistake as it was so big and I thought I'd never find my way around. By noon the first full day, I knew where everything was, so the size was not a problem and, in fact, was a benefit as there are so many places to go, things to do, ... .

I've sailed happily on Navigator several times since that cruise.

If you can swing an outside or promenade view cabin, it might make a real difference. Balconies are, of course, even better. I've heard several first time cruisers say that they had an awful time. In every case, they'd had an inside stateroom and they agreed that the stateroom was the cause of their unhappiness. If you truly believe that you will use the stateroom only to fall into bed exhausted every night, then the lack of window, light and view might not matter. I love being able to look out at the ocean, and to see the ports from my stateroom bed when we first arrive.

I've been on several cruises from all kinds of cruise companies. Don't be turned off by the size of the ships; yes, there are HUGE and are getting bigger everyday ... however, cruises offer you so much that you can either take or leave. Although I've never been on Navigator, I've been on Legend of the Seas and most recently, Grandeur of the Seas, both from Royal Caribbean. For the value, Royal Caribbean has some of the best service I've ever experienced; their staff is truly great. The food is as good as most restaurants and sometimes better. Regarding cabins, I always go with an inside cabin just because I'd rather spend my $$$ on an excursion. You're hardly in the cabin anyway. But, they are VERY SMALL. I would suggest bringing a small clock because you can really lose track of time when you're in there in the dark without a window. If you have planes to catch after your cruise, go to the purser's desk and request an early disembark. It's worth your effort because you'll be off the ship before everyone else and avoid alot of crowds at customs and taxi stands, etc. Have fun!

Wow, thank you all so much for such great tips and encouraging stories of your experience. The pictures are fantastic, it really got me excited! I feel much more comfortable about booking this cruise! I will talk to husband about inside cabin vs. something with a window... I would prefer a window personally, but if it's a big difference in cost, we'll probably stick with an inside cabin and save the money for excursions or shopping. :D

Thanks again!

Hi CruiserRacheal:

We're booked on that same cruise.

Come to the roll call, here's the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=845496.

This will be our second cruise on Navigator, she's a beautiful ship, and we loved the promenade. The food was very good, but that was a couple of years ago.

We have a balcony, but have had interior cabins before and didn't think they were that bad, just very dark. :) If you book one make sure you bring a clock with an illuminated face. I just checked and it seems there are still alot of available cabins. Here's hoping for a price reduction!

We will probably go to Sandals in Ocho Rios, and Labadee is a beautiful island owned by Royal Caribbean.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your cruise.

Judy

I am cruising for the 2nd time on the Navigator December 10! The Navigator was my first cruise ship, and I loved it! I'm cruised on this class of ships a few times since. The promenade is really cool, and like someone else said, the snacks there are yummy! I always enjoy lounging on the 2nd pool deck by the main pool...you can see the action, but it's a little quieter!

I started out with an inside guarantee, was given an adequate inside room in a good, mid-ship location (category N). There was a residency rate later on, and I switched to a promenade room for less than I paid!

All in all, I think you really will enjoy the Navigator!

That's funny! I sail the same date on a ship with the same name and in a Promenade cabin. Only difference is my son Ryan isn't going.:(

Bill

We did 2 Transatlantic cruises, both with a back to back last year, on the Navigator. Loved the NOS and Captain Bang is great!

We love the Promenade Cafe and the fresh cookies. You will love this ship too, have a great cruise!!!!:)

Archived