Need suggestion on 3 days pre-cruise plan

lucy1234

This is our first time to Alaska and may be the only once.

here is my plan after couples hours read from web:

Aug 5

Arrive at Anchorage airport 13:30 pm

Aug 6

Aug 7

Morning

6:45 am take train from Anchorage to Seward. Arrive at 11:05 am.

Afternoon

Exit Glacier

Aug 8

Morning

Kenai Fjords National Park Boat Tour (6 hrs tour)

8:00 am to 2:00pm

Afternoon

5:00 pm: board the ship

8:00 pm: cruise depart

as you can see, I have 1.5 days are not booked. should I go to

Denali National park or just go to Talkeetna? we don't like to take the flightseeing tour. is it worth to got to Denali National park? I think it is too far.

You do not have time for Denali park, unless you give up a day in Seward, and even then, it's a big rush. So, frankly, no, I don't recommend Denali park. IF you do not want any flightseeing, then I suggest you do your homework and find out what else in Alaska would be of interest?? A day trip to Whittier and a PWS boat tour would be one suggestion. Hatcher Pass and Independence Mine, with a Spirit House tour of Talkeetna is another, glacier trekking, sightseeing Anchorage???

All doable, you need to find out what is of the most interest to YOU????

I like how you're late boarding the ship on August 8th. All the crowds seem to be when it first opens up for boarding, and you board well after the 11:05am train that day. Zero lines.

You mentioned you're bringing a 14-year-old son. This tour would probably be heaven for him:

http://www.toursaver.com/index.php/deal/dealview/action/view/frmArticleID/189/

The full-day ATV ride is how we started off Alaska our last trip. Whooooa what an introduction!

I see the plane is kind of small and has to fly over the mountains. anyone concernd about the safety? This is my reason don't want the flightseeing tour.

We were in Alaska Aug/Sept-08. This was our second trip to Alaska. The most memorable memory is taking a flight out of Talkeetna that lands in the mountains for about a 1/2 hour. I don't like flying but I would do this again in a heartbeat. 10 people on the plane.

I am spending my whole time in Seward. between the jet lag and exit glacier htat is it for day one. i plan on the 11 am boat the day before we sail. i want to spend sail day at the sealife center and other places in town.

relax and enjoy seward.

I changed mind, will go to the Flightseeing tour from Talkeetna. think will go this tour found it in the toursaver.

Talkeetna Air Taxi

Flightseeing Tour of Denali w/Glacier Landing!

How does this toursaver work? Order it first. Then mention I have coupon when booking the tour?

With flightseeing, yes, you most certainly are in a small plane flying over mountains. With toursaver, you order the coupon book and take the whole book with you to the vendor. With reservations- necessary, you mention you will be using the coupon. Some have timed and number restrictions. IF you plan on a tight schedule, with only a brief timeframe to take the flight, you need to be prepared for cancelations. Better, is to have, time, for reschedules. With toursaver, you could possibly use a coupon for Seward activies, depending on your interests.

My take on the Sea Life Center: if you've been to SeaWorld or some of the big aquariums (like Atlanta's), the SLC does not offer that much unique stuff. I don't regret going, though--it happened to be a convenient, long walk, and we had the time and the Toursaver coupon. Of course, if you've never been to these other places, the SLC is going to be cool. And if you really dig this stuff, consider going to Seaworld and take the backstage tours--for cheaper than an Alaska shore excursion, you can literally hop in the pool and be touching, playing with, & swimming with dolphins, orcas and beluga whales.

I skip the sea life center because we have been to other big one before and don't have enough time too.

If on the weather reason, they have to cancel Flightseeing Tour. Can I get my money back?

I am goin to order the coupon book because I found I can use it for whale watch tour in Juneau and Wildlife Sanctuary & Eagle Center in Ketchikan.

Lucy1234 are you on the Ryndam. We are on it and will be at the sea life center also.

Hope yoy enjoy ALASKA as much as we do>

What are you going to do in Haines? I don't have option yet. I see people go to Skagway. should I go there?

We are going to do the Takshanuk Mountain Trail by 4 x 4. They are like a heavy duty golf cart with seat belts. The drive is through nice scenery and ends at a 1500 foot elevation. On the way down it stops at a lodge for a meal of some kind. My adult daughter and I will be fighting to see who gets to drive!!!!!

We have to wait until March to see if the Chilkat Native Village of Klukwan tour will be available. It is not a ship tour. We would visit a tribal house and learn about the past, present and future of the Tlingit people. Someone on the boards mentioned they really enjoyed it so we hope we will be able to do that.

I skip the sea life center because we have been to other big one before and don't have enough time too.

If on the weather reason, they have to cancel Flightseeing Tour. Can I get my money back?

I am goin to order the coupon book because I found I can use it for whale watch tour in Juneau and Wildlife Sanctuary & Eagle Center in Ketchikan.

You need to verify EACH independent vendor's policies. However, IF flightseeing is canceled by the vendor, I don't know of any, that do not fully refund.

We are going to do the Takshanuk Mountain Trail by 4 x 4. They are like a heavy duty golf cart with seat belts. The drive is through nice scenery and ends at a 1500 foot elevation. On the way down it stops at a lodge for a meal of some kind. My adult daughter and I will be fighting to see who gets to drive!!!!!

We have to wait until March to see if the Chilkat Native Village of Klukwan tour will be available. It is not a ship tour. We would visit a tribal house and learn about the past, present and future of the Tlingit people. Someone on the boards mentioned they really enjoyed it so we hope we will be able to do that.

We are interesting this tour Takshanuk Mountain Trail by 4 x 4 as well.

We only have 3 people in the family. If we drive one Mule, do we need to pay extra because they expect 4 guests per Mule?

We are interesting this tour Takshanuk Mountain Trail by 4 x 4 as well.

We only have 3 people in the family. If we drive one Mule, do we need to pay extra because they expect 4 guests per Mule?

You will pay for just 3 people. We can hardly wait to do this tour as the scenery will be nice and it will be a fun activity for families to do together.

Music we are staying at the whistle stop. It is railroad cars converted into sleeping accom. We loved the pics at sewardak.net/ws.

Good luck with that. The pictures can be quite deceiving. We go down to Seward 3 or 4 times and I would not stay at the Whistle Stop. I also wouldn't eat at the Smoke Shack which is a resturant that's also in a converted train car in the same location. Again, pictures don't always tell the true story.

notihng is cheap in Seward. i was going to stay in town at the Edgewater overlooking water. but i went with the Windsong near Exit glacier. Liked the idea of peace and quiet at night.

the hotel has no pool:( but is has a nice deck to sit out with a drink and read. the hotel has shuttles all day into town.

bearbait, What is wrong with the whistle stop? I have read several positive reviews about it.

Thanks for you answer.

Good luck with that. The pictures can be quite deceiving. We go down to Seward 3 or 4 times and I would not stay at the Whistle Stop. I also wouldn't eat at the Smoke Shack which is a resturant that's also in a converted train car in the same location. Again, pictures don't always tell the true story.

Archived