What is a 75W plane/Icelandair?

azalice

Interesting that Iceland Air provides that level of detail, to the point of confusing passengers that it's a 757-200. The only people the "W" matters to are airline operations people, the flight crew and air traffic control.

Interesting that Iceland Air provides that level of detail, to the point of confusing passengers that it's a 757-200. The only people the "W" matters to are airline operations people, the flight crew and air traffic control.

Try flying EK

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen a couple airlines do that. Air Canada calls their Airbus A330-300 '333' on its timetable, and their 777-300 and 777-200's '77W' and '77L' respectively.

Cathay Pacific refers to its 747-400 fleet as '744'.

You get to be really good at determining fleet codes after a while...!

• 1 month later...

I'm familiar with the aircraft codes and as an example 772 vs. 773 makes a difference to passengers, especially with seat selection. The question was about a 752 vs. 75W. Winglets make no difference to the passenger unless Icelandic flys both versions and they have a different cabin configuration. Just causes confusion IMO.

I've seen a couple airlines do that. Air Canada calls their Airbus A330-300 '333' on its timetable, and their 777-300 and 777-200's '77W' and '77L' respectively.

Cathay Pacific refers to its 747-400 fleet as '744'.

You get to be really good at determining fleet codes after a while...!

And so they should, as it's flight plan is filed as TYPE: B744 per ICAO Doc#8643 along with...

A330-300: A333

A330-200: A332

777-233LR: B77L

777-333ER: B77W

However, as of the documentation I could find, a 757-200 is filed as B752 whether it has winglets or not..

http://www.icao.int/anb/ais/8643/index.cfm

I'll throw out a guess that Icelandair at one point had both 757-200s with and without winglets in slightly different configurations (depending on when/who they got them), and used 752 and 75W to distinguish them in their own scheduling, and when they got rid of the last 757-200 (w/o winglets), the 75W stuck.

Does it matter if they have winglets or not

how does that affect the seat configurations & comfort :confused:

If you only fly specific aircraft I can see it being important otherwise....

I am more concerned with the seat selection

Does it matter if they have winglets or not

how does that affect the seat configurations & comfort :confused:

If you only fly specific aircraft I can see it being important otherwise....

I am more concerned with the seat selection

As I mentioned before, probably because of two different interior configs based on when they were acquired into the FI fleet....

I'll throw out a guess that Icelandair at one point had both 757-200s with and without winglets in slightly different configurations (depending on when/who they got them), and used 752 and 75W to distinguish them in their own scheduling, and when they got rid of the last 757-200 (w/o winglets), the 75W stuck.

As I mentioned before, probably because of two different interior configs based on when they were acquired into the FI fleet

The point is ....once you book your flight you see the configuration of the plane ..

unless you are REALLY into planes for most people they are not that concerned with the configurations of the seat before they book :D

The point is ....once you book your flight you see the configuration of the plane ..

unless you are REALLY into planes for most people they are not that concerned with the configurations of the seat before they book :D

Before I book a flight I do want to know what the configuration is and I'm not really into planes....but I am into comfort...always check www.seatguru.com before I book...Happy flying....;)

Archived