how does this sound? (tour plan for cairo)

trinitygirl

Hi all, I have 4 days in Cairo before my Nile cruise begins. At the end of the week, I join a Trafalgar tour and on the first day of the tour we are scheduled to see the pyramids, colossus, sphynx and the Sakkara step pyramid, and then the sound and light show at the Giza pyramids that evening. The next day we leave for the Nile cruise and I leave the tour when we get back to Luxor, so won't be with them when they do the two days of Cairo touring at the end of the trip.

Anyway, I have 4 whole days in Cairo on my own before the Tour begins. Since I am travelling on my own, I am thinking about hiring a tour guide for two days of touring.

I contacted Ramses tours and George sent back this proposal:

first day : the Museum, the bazaar, 30 minute fellucca ride on the Nile

second day : the citadel and the mosques, and the hanging church of St Mary.

150$ US including entrance fees , professional guide , private car

I am spending the week at the Le Meridien Pyramids hotel in Giza, so I can walk to the pyramids from the hotel - thus I don't feel the need to add these to the tour plan.

I am planning to do the tour days on non-consecutive days (Sat and Mon, or Sun and Tues) - I want plenty of time to relax before the Trafalgar tour begins.

So, my question is: does this list seem to cover the important points? Have I missed anything unmissable? Any suggestions gratefully received.

many thanks

TG

It sounds like a very nice plan, and seems quite reasonable since it includes private car, guide and admissions. The Hanging Church is breath-taking, but ask your guide to show you the rest of "old cairo" as well. If you have time, there is a beautiful park with a wonderful restaurant called al-azhar...I would recommend that you have a guide take you as much as possible. Cairo is probably one of the most difficult cities in the world to navigate. :)

One thing you might do since you're so close to the pyramids, is go to the solar boat museum. It's is amazing (and the bathrooms are clean and modern):D

Archived