How long does it take to disembark?

nikita

We are cruising on the Pearl Eastern Caribbean itinerary in Dec. I am trying to reserve excursions (not with the cruiseline), and I just noticed that the itinerary states that disembarkation usually begins two hours after docking? Is this true?! I'm thinking they are exaggerating in case there are problems or something. Please let me know of your experience as we have never cruised Norwegian before. I know on Princess, RCCL, and Carnival it never takes two hours after docking as far as I can recall. Thanks in advance.

My advice would be to just try to get off as early as you can .... the local excursion operators know the drill and the times. After docking, the ship often has to clear customs and immigration in that country. That can take time. especially if the ship arrives very early (they have to wait for the officials to start their day)...if there are several ships in port at the same time, that can also add time.

I would expect that you should be able to disembark about an hour after the listed arrival time if at a dock...if tendering, that can add some time because NCL gives tender priority to NCL excursions. If tendering, get in line about 10 minutes before the annouced time to get tender tickets and you should be in good shape. One person can get tender tickets for the whole group.

Our recent Star disembarkation in Los Angeles was delayed and chaotic. I saw the CDC come aboard for a surprise inspection (maybe 25 of them) and there was also a medical emergency on deck 5 that required paramedics remove a passenger.

So, like momma says, Life is like a box of chocolates.....

We are cruising on the Pearl Eastern Caribbean itinerary in Dec. I am trying to reserve excursions (not with the cruiseline), and I just noticed that the itinerary states that disembarkation usually begins two hours after docking? Is this true?! I'm thinking they are exaggerating in case there are problems or something. Please let me know of your experience as we have never cruised Norwegian before. I know on Princess, RCCL, and Carnival it never takes two hours after docking as far as I can recall. Thanks in advance.

"Disembarkation" in that statement means getting off the ship at the end of the cruise, not getting off the ship at a port of call.

It can take anywhere from a few minutes on up for local authorites to clear a ship upon arrival in a port of call.

"Disembarkation" in that statement means getting off the ship at the end of the cruise, not getting off the ship at a port of call.

It can take anywhere from a few minutes on up for local authorites to clear a ship upon arrival in a port of call.

Thanks. I hope you're right as it really does not indicate this....I'm going to go ahead and book those excursions as I've never had trouble before so I will keep my fingers crossed.

On one of our prior cruises with NCL, we were suppose to dock at an island, (don't recall which one, not important). Well, the seas were so rough, that the ship could not dock. By time they decided not to dock, and to use tenders, they cancelled our excursion. So, as they say, Stuff Happens, ( I cleaned it up). :)

Thanks. I hope you're right as it really does not indicate this....I'm going to go ahead and book those excursions as I've never had trouble before so I will keep my fingers crossed.

njhorseman is correct, so please don't be anxious. Have a great cruise.

Al

Thanks, Mbisson. First laugh of the day. Like your new picture. Disembarkation depends on several factors. Weather does play a part we found out.

Yes, sometimes weather plays a part. It can make those railings slippery and I lose my grip easier

(glad you got a chuckle ms b)

njhorseman is most definitely correct. This is one of those unfortunate, badly worded statements on NCL's web site (and literature, I believe) that needs to be corrected. The statement refers only to disembarkation at the end of the cruise, not at every port of call.

Yes, sometimes weather plays a part. It can make those railings slippery and I lose my grip easier

(glad you got a chuckle ms b)

Or, you can get on the ship and off the ship looking like a drowned rat. Makes for great pics don't you know?

njhorseman is correct, so please don't be anxious. Have a great cruise.

Sage advice. Don't book anything too close to when you are to arrive, nor too close to when you are to depart.

The way I see it, the ports (assuming we aren't talking about actual disembarkation) are just a taste of what the particular city/country has to offer, and are a great time but just a sample.

How long does it take to disembark?

It really depends on how many people are trying to wrestle me off the ship and if I can grab ahold of a railing or some such thing ;)

I tried hiding in one of the lifeboats; didn't work. I tried to buy one of the crew's jackets, that didn't work. I tried walking backwards so they would think I was coming on board; nothing worked; had to get off. :D:D:D

Archived