Calabaza or Silvermoon-Can't Decide!!

sunlover2

Have spent soooo much time reading posts/threads about both of these tour companies and cannot decide which one to book with for our stop in Barbados in February. We plan on doing the 12 person catamaran with the turtle stop. I don't think I would go wrong with either one of them. I do have a question for anyone who has been on either of these excursions. Does either one of these stop at a beach at the end? Not real clear on where they stop for lunch. Any input positive or negative is appreciated. Thanks~

Have spent soooo much time reading posts/threads about both of these tour companies and cannot decide which one to book with for our stop in Barbados in February. We plan on doing the 12 person catamaran with the turtle stop. I don't think I would go wrong with either one of them. I do have a question for anyone who has been on either of these excursions. Does either one of these stop at a beach at the end? Not real clear on where they stop for lunch. Any input positive or negative is appreciated. Thanks~

You better decide quick. I contacted them the beginning of October for

a date in April and they were completely booked.:(

We were on the Silver Moon a couple years ago and you just have lunch on the boat. We were going to book it again for our cruise in May, however, their 12 person boat was already booked. So we are going to try Calabaza.

What is Calabaza and does anyone have a contact/website link?

It is a catamaran that holds up to 12 guest. I believe that it is 5 hours and they do two stops with swimming with the turtles. They serve lunch and drinks.

Google Calabaza Sailing Cruises for their website.

I went on Calabaza last month and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Our party of 6 was the only ones on the boat. The food and drinks were wonderful, as was the crew. It was like going out with a few friends, and enjoying a home-cooked lunch. We stopped to swim with the turtles and stopped again at a beach, where we could swim, visit the beach, or snorkel. You will love it.

I just booked this yesterday with Gina and it was $100.00 a person and they pick you up. I was impressed on how efficient she was. They do ask for a credit card to reserve your spot and do not charge you till you get off the ship. There is a cancellation fee of 20% if you cancel within 48 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

we were in Barbados in Nov 2009 and, I cannot recommend "Heatwave" enough!

Wayne and Damien were fantastic, and really made the day for the 4 of us. They were great fun, and couldn't do enough for us! This was my sister and I’s first time snorkeling, and we did not know if we would enjoy it or not but booked it as it was something the guys wanted to do. If it was not for Damien taking over and hauling my sister and I around on our first stop, we likely would of not lasted in the water very long. Our first stop was over a ship wreck, and the water was very deep and fish everywhere. Damien made us feel very comfortable, and he was absolutely awesome!

For a 6 hour catamaran cruise for $75 each it was worth every penny!

Transportation was arranged with Tricia to be picked up at the cruise pier, which our ship was about an hour late docking but they waited for us. Once we saw the boatyard we knew it was going to be a great day.

Damien and Wayne were amazing on the catamaran and always offered to get us drinks and collect all our trash! The banana bread they had for the breakfast was very good, but the lunch was amazing. So yummy!

The weather was perfect, great music, and there were only 8 people on the catamaran ( 10 counting Wayne and Damien) so we had lots of space, and enjoyed it so much.

The best part of this tour was snorkeling with the Sea Turtles - they were so close, and swimming all around us! It was really cool as there were fish everywhere!

They served a very delicious lunch and had floating noodles for anyone who wanted to float around for about half hour after lunch before sailing back to the boatyard.

This is one of the very best tours we have ever done, and I would highly recommend looking them up and booking an excursion with then if you are in Barbados. You’ll be very happy you did!

• 4 years later...

Calabaza is better operated, owner sails with you. Best value captain Ron . Silvermoon is a good value

We spent a day with Calabaza in January 2013 and had a fabulous day. We had lunch on the catamaran. We didn't go ashore at a beach, but had the opportunity to swim to shore/the beach from the snorkeling area. It was quite a distance though, so my dh was the only one out of the 12 of us who did it.

Edited by Loving My Life

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our 3rd trip to Barbados and our 3rd time sailing with Calabaza. I cannot say enough good things about Gina and her crew.

Swimming with the turtles, snorkeling over the shipwrecks, lunch, drinks, sun and fun what more could you ask for!

I would highly recommend Calabaza to anyone without hesitation!

I was on the Carnival Valor in January and booked Calabaza for our Barbados excursion. I have to say that it was the best day of the whole cruise. Gina and her crew go out of their way to make sure you have the best time. My husband was so impressed that Gina used glasses for her drinks and china for lunch. The food was absolutely delicious and lets just say the rum punch has quite the punch :)

I would definately recommend Calabaza and I am looking forward to rebooking with her some day again.

I've sailed with Silver Moon twice and Calabaza twice (with trip number 3 coming up in April). Both are very good, but I keep coming back to Calabaza. Gina and crew are fantastic. I love the small touches like the free photos and the free recipes after the trip. Such a class act all the way around.

Kathy

We've done countless catamaran day trips in the Caribbean and the Calabaza is BY FAR they very best experience we've had anywhere. Beautiful well kept boat, fantastic personalized service, Andrew who goes in the water with you is super and yes Gina's home made food and rum punch is top notch. A classy operation!!!! We're joining them again in about a month.

I too would recommend Calabaza. We spent the day with Gina and her crew last week while on a Princess cruise.

Crew was organized, professional and caring. They took the time to make sure everyone had fun, had the right equipment and enjoyed the day. Catamaran was in excellent shape and well maintained. Just a beautiful boat. Food was great and plentiful (and homemade). The crew took tons of pictures and provided a link for them (underwater and on the boat). Some places would charge for that. We stopped at multiple points to snorkel and each time there was something different to see.

I would definitely recommend Calabaza.

I've never sailed with Silver Moon, so I can't really compare the two, but I would ABSOLUTELY recommend Calabazza. The service they provide on board is outstanding. Gina emailed us our photos and also recipies for some of the goodies we had for lunch (including that rum punch!)

We're stopping in Barbados on our next cruise and we've decided this time we want to see Bathsheba and more of the island -- otherwise I would have already booked us with Gina again!

Ann

Another vote for Calabaza with Gina and the boys. Gina is the owner. The entire experience is one of the reasons we keep booking cruises with stops in Barbados. They pick you up at the dock, you board a sparkly clean catamaran, Gina serves anything you want to drink (we usually start with Bloody Mary's and move on from there), and her rum punch is the best I've ever had. The crew is top notch. The food is plentiful, delicious and homemade by Gina and incredible. The fact that she doesn't charge for the hundreds of photos she emails you (along with her recipes) just goes to show she wants to ensure that her passengers have the best and most memorable experience. Her crew is professional, yet friendly. I can't say enough good things about Calabaza.

We've already done Calabaza the past two years and are already booked again for next February.

Does anyone know the price for Calabaza? I cant seem to find it on their website.

I booked my tour with Gina almost a year ago for my upcoming cruise in two weeks and at the time the price was $110/person. I am not sure if that price is still accurate but if you send her an email she will reply quickly.