Email @ Sea via X's "Connect at Sea"

HockeyDAD73

Any one have any experience with the email system at sea? In my docs, X mentioned "Connect at Sea." I do not need internet access while on the cruise to surf the web, I just want to be able to keep in touch with my 2 boys while we are gone and let them email us. Seems they charge $2.00 / email to send and receive. On the surface this seems that it might be more cost efficient than signing on to check email on the web at a cost of $.75 / minute.

And does anyone know how you get the emails? Do you have to log on or do they deliver them to you somehow?

Until Summit Set Sail for Panama Canal

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<marquee width = 45%> Summit May/07---Panama Canal </marquee>

It certainly is more cost effective to receive emails using the address that Celebrity provides you for the cruise. A message is sent to your stateroom phone alerting you that an email for you has been received. They do not deliver it to you, but rather you must go to the computer cafe and retrieve it. Printing of the message is free. Go to http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=147097554&m=759105411 to see additional details.

Thanks, make sense to me and this is what I'll be using along with any internet cafe on shore I stumble upon and feel the need to get on the web

Until Summit Set Sail for Panama Canal

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<marquee width = 45%> Summit May/07---Panama Canal </marquee>

We used it earlier this year on the Summit and found it worked very well. You pay per message sent or received. There is no time limit so you're not writing against the clock and we found on previous cruises it can be difficult logging on to our email account at aol. There is a size limit but unless you are writing a short story or have attachments for business that should not be a problem. We also found there was a staff person available in the cafe at all times to set you up and help if needed. We thought it was great. They also have the per minute option avaiable for those who want/need to access their home emailbox or want to surf the net.

We found that several people had trouble on the Century with this feature... after sitting at the computer composing emails, another couple could NOT get their e-mails to send.. we also found several computers that just plain wouldn't work.. couldn't sign on.. and when we got back, even though OUR computer worked fine.. we found that several of the e-mails were never received...

just my 2 cents

Mia

Adding to what Mia said, 2 weeks ago on the Constellation, 3 emails were sent to my CelebrityAtSea email address. Two came through just fine, and 1 never did. This sample is too small, however, to extract generalities about overall reliability; therefore, FYI.

Assuming it meets the size constraints, the cost is $2 per email address included in the "send" field. Thus, a (multiple addressed) email sent to 2 people is $4; if its sent to 3 people its $6; etc.

That sounds like a wonderful way to harvest money - it costs the cruise line no more to send one email to multiple addresses than to a single address so how can they justify charging per recipient?

Surely it would be fair to charge by the number of separate emails sent?

Galaxy May 31st

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;31;19;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Archived