Balcony or Not

loveourcottage

We are planning a cruise to the Mediterranean in October Is it worth paying the price for a balcony...we don't plan on spending a lot of time in our room..If someone is claustophobic would a window be sufficient....

Thank you

ps..I read somewhere that when you are in port it is all industrious...is it worth it for sea days......

If you like to check the outside temperature before you get dressed in the morning or if you are claustrophobic get a balcony. The windows in cruise ships do not open and they are not large.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07, Westerdam ‘09

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Pending Cruises:

Crystal – Serenity, December 10, 2009

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

I would suggest IMHO that because Med cruises tend to be very port intensive and you won't have a lot of days to relax on the balcony and because balcony cabins tend to cost a lot more than outside cabins to go with the outside cabin.

Try to get one if you can no more than one deck from the promenade deck so you can easily get to an outside deck if you want some fresh air.

Have a great next cruise.

I guess it depends on the ports you're seeing. I took a Greek Isles cruise that started and ended in Venice with stops in Dubrovnik, Katakalon, Athens, Santorini, Mykonos and Rhodes. We had a balcony and totally loved it. We'd have room service in the morning with coffee and fresh rolls and sit on the balcony and watch the beautiful scenery roll by. In the evenings, before dinner, we'd sit out there with cocktails. While I can't always afford a balcony (my next cruise I'm OV) I would definitely say "go for it" if you don't mind paying the extra.

Is it worth it? That is purely subjective. I know some people who wouldn't think of cruising without the balcony. They love the view...even if it's just of ocean ( no land in sight) Others will take inside rooms in order to save enough $$ for another cruise that year. That being said...

If you truly need AIR and want it that minute, then a verandah is in order. If you just need to see outdoors, a window would work fine. Definitely not an inside cabin, because you have no natural daylight. (That's why I won't do that category.) By the way the rooms are quite spacious on the newer ships. We never felt closed in and I tend to not like that feeling either.

Depending on your itinerary, often your verandah gives you only a peek of what's around you. For example to have a verandah just to see Venice as you leave or come, in is sort of a waste. You see so little of the magnificent city unless you are outside on the upper decks.

Our life style fits a verandah. We love having slow coffee and fruit early on the veranda and then after dressing, going up for the "rest" of breakfast. Getting a whole different view. We also count on time for a cocktail pre dinner out there. If you are the type that likes to get up and go in the morning, and don't see yourself taking time to use it for relaxing, then no I'd say it isn't worth it.

Balcony!!! We are super active people who LOVE to visit all the ports BUT we always come back to our balcony after a long day in port and relax before dinner. So that "how much are you in your room anyway" quote always makes me laugh. I thought we would NEVER be in our room but it is HOME for 7 days (or more) so its nice to have to relax. You will love the balcony. My first cruise we did an interior and it was fine....5 cruises later all balcony rooms (mostly BD) and I wouldn't even consider anything less. It gives you extra space to boot! Balcony! Donna

I love being out on deck watching the scenery, roaming around..or talking to people. If I want some privacy, I prefer a quiet spot somewhere on a large deck deck to a small balcony (call it open air claustrophobia). On my last cruise I was upgraded to a balcony and think I was out on it maybe five times. just found it cramped. I agree that it is highly subjective and depends upon your personal preference...and what you are willing to pay. Maybe book a guaranteed oceanview and keep your fingers crossed

On our last cruise we had an OV, which on HAL is larger than other mainline cruiselines. It was great, and we enjoyed the pool deck most of the day with its retractible roof. Our previous cruise (both TAs) we had a balcony and rarely used it. Good responses above, showing its always "different strokes for different folks".:cool:

For us it comes down to we like to people watch. By having a balcony I feel guilty about spending the money and not using it. When I am using th balcony I feel like I'm missing something because I'm not up with the crowds.

We get a cabin based on location and price. If an OV has a good location we will book it. On the newer ships most of the OVs are not in good locations for us so then we book balconies.

We have done inside, oceanview and balcony. the balcony was on a Solstice TA and Med cruise. While I enjoyed the balcony, in retrospect, I would have enjoyed the extras that the $400 per person upgrade costs.

Even with 2800 passengers on board, there was always a quiet nook if needed, or nice folks to chat with if you wanted company.

Even with the smallest inside cabin, the dining and entertainment are the same. There were some last minute deals where a balcony was going for a few dollars over an inside, so that would be worth doing.

Paul

If your money situation is so tight, that the expense of the balcony really impacts the rest of your cruise, then you may want to consider the outside cabin. To me, the extra expense isn't going to break me and I love getting fresh air and looking back at the landscape after leaving the ports. Great place to enjoy a pre-dinner beer or just wind down. Also, we are going on Princess and with the cabins so small, I also like the extra space. On Med cruises, I don't buy into the argument that you are never in your cabin. If anything, I'll be in there more. I may not be in the mood every night during a port intensive Med cruise to be out late at night and more likely to relax in the cabin or on the verandah.

It's worth it just to have fresh air in your room whenever you want. The view changes all the time but for 90% of the time all you see is water. We just don't like the confinement of a non balcony cabin.

If your budget can afford it do it.

Is it worth it? That's a value decision you'll have to make. I know that for our upcoming Med cruise, the price difference between a balcony and an oceanview room is currently about $900 per person. :eek:

For $1800 savings, I think I can walk up one deck and step outside if I need fresh air!

Keep watching your prices, you may have a pleasant surprise if there is a price drop. We lucked out on our Med cruise and ended up not only in a balcony, but a JS for less than a regular balcony cabin. As it was a 13 night cruise, the extra space was very much appreciated.

We have cruised in inside, OV and balcony cabins in the past, I have to say that yes, the balcony does make a difference. Especially going to an inside after you have had a balcony. We enjoy the balcony in the morning and evening. We enjoy not having to get dressed and run out to see what is passing by. We have a place to hang out on sea days and just read, we love seeing the ocean, not just ports.

But if it is a struggle to afford it then I can completely understand not getting a balcony. It does add up to a more pleasurable cruise for us, but I'll have to say a cruise is not horrible without one ;)

It's a personal decision, but for our budget, we decided to book an inside cabin and spend the extra cash on excursions. The Med. cruises are very port intensive and we spent most of our time off the ship. Excursions are expensive (unless you do them on your own).

Yes, the major ports are very industrial and views are not appealing. However, other ports such as Villefranche, Santorini (both tenders) and Venice are very scenic.

I wouldn't hesitate booking another inside or possibly outside cabin for a port intensive cruise.

Enjoy, whatever you decide! :)

I think it also depends on how far south you're travelling in the Med. We usually have a balcony because one of us smokes, but this Oct in the northern Med, that's all it was used for, because we were caught up in the Mistral winds, so it was very difficult to make much use of it. This was continuous from Spain- France- Italy, and down to Gibraltar. Yes, handy for the smoker, but useless for sitting outside! Another time it's an inside near a lift!- jocap.

Balcony is a must for me! I just like to have the fresh air while I am getting ready in the morning. You might not spend much time out there in the middle of the day, but it is worth the extra cost. I find that my early morning coffee and late night glass of wine taste better when outside on the balcony! Plus, I tend to sleep with the doors open too! I always feel too closed off to the world if I can't open a window or something and get the fresh air!

If your Mediterranean is as intensive as ours was, an inside will be fine. We did our share of balconies in the beginning of our 11 cruises but are now doing mostly insides for the reasons outlined by previous posters. What you can do is to study deck plans to find an inside that is better than an OV and almost as good as a balcony. We think we found such a cabin for our forthcoming Christmas cruise on the Celebrity Mercury. It's an inside on the sky deck, two steps from an outside deck that serves as the magrodome for the after swimming pool, with both outside stairs and an inside stairwell leading to the buffet restaurant and also to the the main pool. Those are one deck down; ours will have the sunning area and jogging track plus a forward nightclub that is splending for daytime reading.

All this for the price of a regular inside.

hello,

The old rule still applies...if you CAN AFFORD IT, get a balcony. It is a treat rather than a necessity. We have had insides, oceanviews and balconies and suites. These days because we can afford it (but still look for every sale and specials that we can find) we get a balcony to treat ourselves.

Let's say for argument sake, an inside is $900 a person, an ocean view is $1,300 per person and a balcony is $ 1,700 per person. Can you afford the extra $400 per person for a balcony? This is $800 and what can you do with $800? Here are some uses of this extra money...airfare for two round trip from just about anywhere in the US to Florida or California's ports. Or all gratuities plus some very nice excursions such as to Las Caletas when in Puerto Vallarta. Or a major contribution toward round trip airfare to Europe or South America. In April of 2009, our air fare to South America was about $700 per person one way to Buenos Aires.

No doubt that balconies are nice but really not mandatory. And the only problem with an Inside is that it does get very dark in the cabin at night, but there is nothing wrong with an Inside cabin, especially if you want to save some nice money.

If money is not an issue, then pick balcony. If you have to decide whether to spend your extra money on balcony or on land excursions, then IMHO spending on excursions is better. The best part of my Med cruise was the time I spent at many Italian and Greek ports, not on the cruise itself.

The case for an inside cabin:

No status. No bragging rights. No keeping up with the Joneses. No vanity. No insecurity.

Take a moment to sit down and estimate how much time you will be on the balcony or looking out of the window (at what - the changing scenery?). Then divide the premium you are (both!) being asked to pay by that time.

Betcha the number you get looks rediculous.

When daylight comes streaming in at 5 am at those different latitudes and you went to bed at 1 am, you'll wish you had an inside!

Imagine if hotels charged more because of the size of the window or the balcony (what balcony?).

Thanks to all who purchase cabins with lots of glass. It subsidizes the rest of the passengers (Cunard excepted).

Ah- if you're going as far south as Greece and Turkey, you're probably into another climate! I was talking about a western med cruise, mainly France, N. Italy and Spain. I've had holidays in the Greek/Turkey areas in late Sept/Oct when it was perfect. I've also met with gales sailing to Istanbul in Sept. If I was on your itinerary, I'd probably chance it.- jocap.

Archived