Anyone been on the new Arcadia?

Painter

Oh dear... I didn't think I would receive such a robust discussion.

Thank you all for your views on the subject.

Just a question for those for the "negitive" regarding food..

in what way is the food not acceptable...

is it bland, cold, too spicy, small serves, tough meats, etc, etc?

I think the have a Chocolate Buffet...surely that must be delicious?

If you had followed my postings you would see I never comment on things I have not experienced, unlike many others.

Whatever tint of glasses I wear has got little to do with you. And I will call things as I see them.

It is interesting that you fall back on insults instead of addressing the point ie. you cannot forcast what the meals will be like on a ship by what they have been like before. Particularly when comparing ships of the same line as we are in this thread.

You seem to be off thread when talking about Cunard.

Your loyalty to P&O is admirable and knows no bounds.

However, you could not possibly directly comment with any validity on anything other than P&O and it is important that those to whom you offer advice understand the limit of the information. I, at least, am talking from broader experience.

I see no insults, merely clarification. The meals are commonly sourced and rely heavily on frozen and reconstituted produce, with little attention to detail, unlike in the past where quality was expected and received, served using silver service. Indeed, the particularly bad experience on Arcadia served fare that was little better than school dinners. By the way, and for the avoidance of doubt, I do like Arcadia as a ship; she is, after all, a Vista. I would much rather see more of that class, than the Grand class, coming into the fleet.

Whether or not they are ships of the same line is a matter of opinion; they are all owned by Carnival, but the OP did ask for comparison to the Princess product and P&O now covers several standards merged into one line. I await my upcoming cruise with interest and a fervent hope that the experience on Aurora will meet my expections of the Aurora and Oriana of the past, for that was most definitely at the top of the P&O portfolio which now appears to want to be "all things to all men".

I see no validity whatsoever in your comment about Cunard. My cruising line of choice has become Cunard as a result of the dilution of the P&O product. Otherwise, it is likely that my policy would be P&O and occasional Cunard or Princess for cruising and Cunard for crossing.

Perhaps you should try something else.

:)

You seem to be off thread when talking about Cunard.

Dai

Unless the old memory is fading, Thranite's comments about Cunard are extremely relevant: I believe Painter cruised with them two or three years ago.

I aways find a direct comparison with a line I've already sailed on very useful, and perhaps the OP might:).

Mary

Well, Thranite is spot on. Expect middle of the road mass-catering standards, and you will not be disappointed - meat of a standard that should have long slow cooking will be over-optimistically grilled. Instant gravy powder on just about everything. Much reliance on frozen vegetable and bakery products. Synthetic cream with afternoon tea:eek:.

I don't wish to upset anyone, but comparisons are sometimes rather useful: I've sailed with Fred Olsen and on Marco Polo, neither of them renowned for their food, and found both perfectly acceptable. It is all a question of expectations...

Mary

I don't really know which one's they are, Celebrity? HAL?

The Vistas were a development of Carnival's earlier Spirit class, of which there are six - four with Carnival, and two with Costs. As for the Vistas themselves, the first five were Zuiderdam (2002), Oosterdam (2003), Westerdam (2004), Arcadia (2005) and Noordam (2006), and these are all very similar. I believe that all were built with the shallow slope on the aft cabins. Most, if not all, have had the sterns rebuilt to increase the number of cabins, and this increases both the angle of the slop of their aft ends, and of course the amount of open space on the Lido deck above. After them came Eurodam, which was built with a steep stern. So that's 6 Vistas in the first generation.

Then came the enhanced & enlarged Vistas: first Queen Victoria, then (earlier this year) Costa Luminosa. These have slightly longer hulls, and thus have very slightly larger GRT figures. There will also be Queen Elizabeth next year, plus another Costa ship - Costa Deliciosa? So that will be 10 Vistas in total, plus the 6 Spirits.

They're all Panamax ships, so width is the standard 32.2 or 32.3 metres; this limits the number of decks in the superstructure, and thus ultimately the number of passengers.

Neither Celebrity nor anyone else have Vistas as such. However, in the early noughties several lines built Panamax ships with lots of external balconies, and, having very similar external dimensions & numbers of decks, they do all look similar. As well as the Vistas there are the Celebrity 'Millenium' class (4 ships), the Princess 'Coral' class (just 2 of these), and MSC's 'Musica' class (3 so far, I htink, with at least one more to come). I'm sure there's a Royal Caribbean class as well, plus of course the NCL 'Star' class (6 of these, I think) although these do look a little different from the Vistas.

Ok, my comments are Arcadias food has been the best in the present p&o fleet. Having cruised on her for 3 cruises and having dined on all the present fleet the food was very good indeed on Arcadia when I was onboard.

The Head Chef and his team seem to make a difference so its pot luck who will be in the Kitchen when you are onboard. But I have no complaints.

Photos of ship here:

Included are some food examples, other albums from other ships and other Arcadia cruises in 'my photos'section where plated food can be seen for examples of cuisine on offer. Yes agree Arcadian Rhodes and Orchid are superb and well worth trying. The hydropool/spa is the best in the fleet, and there is a covered retractable roof over the pool for poor sea days.

Hope this helps.

click link/copy and paste to search bar, hit 'slideshow'

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/AllAboutArcadia#5109436511152102738

The meals are commonly sourced and rely heavily on frozen and reconstituted produce,

Not true. On a P&O ship, some of the raw ingredients may be frozen, others are kept in cool storage, but the meals are prepared and cooked from ingredients on board. This was told to me by a P&O Executive Chef.

VP

Not true. On a P&O ship, some of the raw ingredients may be frozen, others are kept in cool storage, but the meals are prepared and cooked from ingredients on board. This was told to me by a P&O Executive Chef.

VP

Precisely. They are cooked from ingredients on board. I have said nothing to disagree with that. Whether frozen or cold storage, it is the quality of the product and the cooking that is in question. On the cruise mentioned previously, we were requested to give the Meridian another chance and the Executive Chef oversaw the cooking and the service, although there was no problem with that; Indeed the waiters seemed embarrassed to serve the food. The presentation was better. Perhaps the food was a bit better, but still fell a considerable way short of acceptable.

:)

VP

Sorry, but your post leaves me baffled as to how Thranite has said anything untrue:confused:.

Mary

First of all...thank you LibraLass for your pictures. They are wonderful.

I have a question for you too...do P&O have a softdrink card like that on Princess?

SantaCruiser... what itinerary have you booked?

Oh dear... I didn't think I would receive such a robust discussion.

Thank you all for your views on the subject.

I think the have a Chocolate Buffet...surely that must be delicious?

Here is a typical menu from a formal night in the main restaurant:

Here is a Gala Formal Dinner menu:

Hot Asparagus mouuse with steamed Asparagus spears

Goats Cheese and spring onion Parfait with oat cakes

Cream of pumpkin soup with sour cream and ciabatta croutons

Chicken and sweetcorn soup with noodles

-----------

Champagne Sorbet

------------

Rock Lobster tail thermidor with saffron rice

Roast fillet of Beef with red onion marmalade

Supreme of Duck with grand marnier Jus and a fondant potato

Pot roast Venison with juniper berry sauce, celeriac puree and fondant potato

Mixed Mushroom, leek and pine nut pancakes (v)

-----------

Hot Chocolate Fondant with white choc sauce

Fresh Strawberies and cream

Selection of miniture lemon desserts (glazed lemon tart with mascapone cream, lemon Bavarois, lemon meringue)

Ass ice creams

Compote of Apricot in a sangria syrup

A selection of cheeses

---------

fresh brewed coffee/tea

Ass Chocolate truffles

(Grilled Steak, salmon & chicken breast always available)

I have never had cold!/warm food, too spicey or small portions. If you want a brilliant meal try Arcadian Rhodes one night as well.

-----------

Champagne Sorbet

------------

-----------

Selection of miniture lemon desserts (glazed lemon tart with mascapone cream, lemon Bavarois, lemon meringue)

Ass ice creams

A selection of cheeses

---------

fresh brewed coffee/tea

Ass Chocolate truffles

I have never had cold!/warm food, too spicey or small portions. If you want a brilliant meal try Arcadian Rhodes one night as well.

Libra lass...did you have to post that menu when I am on a diet!

Sounds good to me.

-----------

Champagne Sorbet

------------

-----------

Ass ice creams

A selection of cheeses

---------

fresh brewed coffee/tea

Ass Chocolate truffles

The thing is, that could be superb quality or absolute rubbish. There is no way of telling from the menu alone.

For example, this "rock lobster tail" that seems to be on every cruise ship - don't think it is lobster. It isn't. I've had fresh (bought that day) lobster on QE2 and the rock lobster stuff (also QE2) and they were as different as chalk and cheese.

And if the Queens' Grill couldn't make it worth having, I'm not going to believe that P&O can.

Now - that proper lobster - which was only for a handful of people - was absolutely wonderful..........

Courtesy of "The Fish Society" website:

FOOD OF THE GODS! Also known as crawfish, the rock lobster has no claws, so we sell just the tail. Unless you're dead set on the visual spectacle of a traditional lobster with claws, rock lobster is the best way to enjoy this fish. About 90% of the weight is meat, whereas in a clawed lobster, you only get about 33% meat. And the meat is much easier to deal with, being in a single substantial piece rather than divided up between the tail and claws. The shell is easy to remove following the instructions included on our label. Saver packs contain 4 tails unless otherwise specified

Carol x

Archived