Just off the Freedom on Nov 15th - any Questions?

msmarvel

Hi! Did you happen to notice any of the water equipment to rent on Cococay? Not the excursions, but the per hour rentable things, like kayaks and hobie cats?:)

Was Allen Brooks your CD?

Did they have a lot to do after midnight? Or was it quiet?

Thanks!

Above all - what did you like best and least about it?

:D

hi there, We've been on the Freedom 4 times now and the 5th is coming up on Jan 24th, can you tell me who the cruise director was and if you know who long he/she will be onboard? Any idea who was the musician was in the bull and bear bar in the promenade?

Thanks

I'm just off Freedom also.......it was a "50 somthing" and a "30 something"

Our CD was Richard Spacey. After this week he will be going to Oasis. Don't know who will be taking his place.

Lobster was served (fishermans platter?) on the second formal night (Friday).

I didn't go to the bull & Bear bar, but friends did and they said the musician was OK and seemed a little "stiff".

There was lots to do after midnight and on our cruise there were allot of participants in everything. I did see some "boards" for rent on Cocoa Cay and I think kayaks. Didn't see any Hobie Cats. It was quite windy when we were there so not too many things going on in the water.

We did a snorkel on St Thomas with CaptainAllen.com....booked it thru shoretrips.com. Stopped at two snorkeling spots and at a beach. Also heard good things about the snorkeling at Saphirre Beach in St Thomas, but I have not been there myself.

Worst thing about the cruise was the "private departure lounge" for platnium, diamond and diamond plus members.......it was a SMALL portion of the dining room on the 5th floor, if you didn't get there at 6 AM you had no place to sit.

Best thing about this cruise was people watching. Also had two great production numbers (and I usually don't care for those)......Once Upon a Time and Marquee. Ice show was OK, nothing to get overly excited about.

What did you do while in port? Who was in your group? We are going in May with kids ages 7 and 9. Looking for snorkel ideas on the port days.

Cococay we had high winds from Ida, so the parasailing was canceled (a couple in our group had booked it).

St. Thomas - we took the Jeep tour and Beach break. this was good even for those who have been here a few times, we saw places we hadn't seen before. It's 4 hours, and stops at Brewer's Bay and Sapphire beach (good snorkeling there). The RCI description says 1 and 1/2 hours of beach time, but it's really two 30-minute stops.

St. Maarten - Lord Sheffield Tall ship snorkel tour. This was fun. There is a limit of 25 people, but we had only 7. You have one snorkel stop, and then you sail around for awhile. They have beer and rum punch, ribs and chicken, then fresh fruit and cookies.

Our group was all adults, from 40 to 65.

Hi! Did you happen to notice any of the water equipment to rent on Cococay? Not the excursions, but the per hour rentable things, like kayaks and hobie cats?:)

Was Allen Brooks your CD?

Did they have a lot to do after midnight? Or was it quiet?

Thanks!

Above all - what did you like best and least about it?

:D

Cococay for us most things were canceled because of high winds/seas (hurrican Ida). I did see the jet skis all sitting at the dock, and 2 man kayaks.

Richard Spacey was the CD, and he is a lot of fun and pretty good looking too. :D

We ended up at Olive or Twist bar after dinnner most nights, some nights it was quiet (they have music) and others it was packed. The night of the 70s dance party on the Promenade (a lot of fun) seemed to get everyone wound up and the bars were crowded after that.

The ship was great. We remarked how little we went outside (except to sunbathe) because there was so much to do. The promenade was fun, I did the flow rider once, ice skated once.

hi there, We've been on the Freedom 4 times now and the 5th is coming up on Jan 24th, can you tell me who the cruise director was and if you know who long he/she will be onboard? Any idea who was the musician was in the bull and bear bar in the promenade?

Thanks

Richard Spacey was CD, and this was answered by someone else.

I didn't see the band in the Bull and Bear - sorry.

We came off Freedm on Nov 1st - Richard Spacey told us the previous night he had three weeksf to go. That tallies with the list posted elsewhere on the board, showing Richard leaving Freedom next Sunday (22nd). Allen Brookes is taking over from then.

We are going on the FOS Eastern in March. Any thoughts on which nights would be best for specialty restaurants? I am booked for Monday and Friday, but now that I see the second formal night is on Friday, I need to make a change. Any input would be great! Also, does anyone know anything about the new CD?

J

Cococay for us most things were canceled because of high winds/seas (hurrican Ida). I did see the jet skis all sitting at the dock, and 2 man kayaks.

Richard Spacey was the CD, and he is a lot of fun and pretty good looking too. :D

We ended up at Olive or Twist bar after dinnner most nights, some nights it was quiet (they have music) and others it was packed. The night of the 70s dance party on the Promenade (a lot of fun) seemed to get everyone wound up and the bars were crowded after that.

The ship was great. We remarked how little we went outside (except to sunbathe) because there was so much to do. The promenade was fun, I did the flow rider once, ice skated once.

Thanks for the info!!

[quote

St. Thomas - we took the Jeep tour and Beach break. this was good even for those who have been here a few times, we saw places we hadn't seen before. It's 4 hours, and stops at Brewer's Bay and Sapphire beach (good snorkeling there). The RCI description says 1 and 1/2 hours of beach time, but it's really two 30-minute stops.

Would you recommend this tour in St. Thomas? We have been thinking about it, but haven't heard from anyone who has done it. I guess the jeeps can hold 4 people.

We were also on the 11/8=15 FoS.

It was our 1st RCCL cruise but will not be the last. i can say that the Fos's size is more than adequate. We definitely will not be on the Oasis - maybe years down road when the price is reduced- when the next bigger ship shaddows it. We will now look at the smaller maybe Explorer ships.

CoCocay was bust. Booked on waverunners- $95 for 1 person- never experienced them- was looking forward to try. Got out about 3 miles & got turned back because of rough seas- Did get the feel of the waverunner enough to definitely try next time. They did credit my $95 which was great.

Cannot remember the beach name at St maarten- was the one with suits on one side & optional on other side of small pile of rocks= they had waverunners there but having only 1.5 hrs - I did not try.

Mid week- they announced to get Ice Show Tickets- be sure to listen for that. They canceled one show due to rough winds rocking the boat.

Disappointed we had lousy weather & roughseas but we gambled for Nov- was not RCCL's fault.

We were in cabin 7296- mid ship balcony. It was great altho next time we may try to be closer to elevators- DW has feet & leg problems & long walks proved a difficulty.

This weekend we will start to think about the next cruise. Wish we had put $100 deposit on future cruise but just kept putting off.

Food was great- Did my Time Dining- got there almost every night about 6:15 - seated at same table- GREAT waiter- Armie from phillipines- definitely would recommend asking for her area- They remembered our names every night & had our Arnold Palmer drinks(1/2 tea & 1/2 lemonade) at our table almost before we got seated. it was dark by 6pm so being close to windows was not necessary. We were booked for Chops on the day of St maarten- we were so tired when we got back that we called & cancelled- no problems. I had pizza @ Sorento's & DW had room service.

Went tomost of the night shows & those missed- watched on TV later that same night.

Was so glad that the had FOX News on cable- cruised NCL several yrs ago & had only CNN. Did see parts of the Alabama game on ESPN which was enjoyable.

djay

We are going on the FOS Eastern in March. Any thoughts on which nights would be best for specialty restaurants? I am booked for Monday and Friday, but now that I see the second formal night is on Friday, I need to make a change. Any input would be great! Also, does anyone know anything about the new CD?

J

We did one on the first sea day (Tuesday) and the other on Thursday, which was St. Maarten and all aboard was 4:15 so it made it easy to get to dinner. Both restaurants were excellent.

Hi MsMarvel, was this your first Royal Caribbean cruise? How were the production shows onboard Freedom of the Seas?

This was my first RCL cruise, and the shows were very good. I saw 2 different comedians and the ice show. Other in the group saw the Broadway musical tribute show and Once Upon a Time and said they were both excellent.

What time did you board? 11:00 or so and was on the ship in 15 minutes

What cabin did you stay in? I was Promenade Deck 7. I liked it, I left the curtains open most of the time (if someone is that bored that they need to watch me read a book, then I feel sorry for them :)) I heard no noise from the Promenade and barely heard the parades.

How were the crowds? You rarely felt crowded. I always found a chair by the pool or on deck.

Did you do the water surfing on board? I only did the boogie board twice on the first day. It was simple to do basic boarding, it's when you try to get fancy that you wipe out, but it's fun.

How were the slots? Only played once and they took my $20.

Do you want to cruise with us in July? Thanks for the offer, but I'm usually in the Outer Banks in July with family. Have fun if you go!

Thanks.

Did they sell cinnabons on the ship? I read that on a Freedom compass back in July but no one seems to be able to confirm this. Was the Solarium peaceful. Is it sunny enough in there for sunbathing? Thanks!

I saw no Cinnabons, but the coffee place on the Promenade has some good pastries for free.

The Solarium really was child-free, you can sunbathe there for the most part. I often saw people sitting/lying on the raised decks right around the pool.

How many kids were on board? I was wondering whether the Veteren's Day holiday increased the typical November head count at all.

Thanks!

Honestly, there were not a lot of little kids on board. Maybe a few more teenaged kids, but I didn't see them unless I was in the Windjammer, walking through the H2O zone, or at the Flowrider of course.

Archived