How many dress up or not nights?

nikita

We are cruising Dec. 26th-Jan. 2, on the Pearl. (fyi) I know people will dress up for New Years but I was wondering if there will be another opportunity for formal/semi-formal wear. Thanks.

On every NCL one week cruise we've taken since they introduced "Dress Up or Not" night, it has been on the second night of the cruise...but I have never been on the Pearl, and some ship's hotel directors do things differently than others. It's possible on your cruise they will have it on New Years Eve instead, or they may add New Years Eve as an additional "dressy" night.

Only ONE dress up night on a seven day cruise?!! :confused:

Yup- only one but the Grand Pacific is supposed to be a dress up every night restaurant with no jeans allowed......saw plenty of denim the night we ate in there...didnt stop us dressing up and having fun but isnt that the point of freestyle?

We are cruising Dec. 26th-Jan. 2, on the Pearl. (fyi) I know people will dress up for New Years but I was wondering if there will be another opportunity for formal/semi-formal wear. Thanks.

Don't make that assumption. You are free to dress as formal as you wish any night on your cruise.

Yes, of course...but wouldn't want to be the only ones dressed that way!

Why not? Do it for you!! If you feel good dressed up, do it!! I dress for dinner every night on cruises - even on nights when my husband is in jeans, because I LOVE to dress up and I have some really beautiful clothes that sadly don't get out much. :p

On the Pearl last January (and every other 7 night NCL cruise I've been on), there were two 'Dress up or not' nights; both were on sea days, which I assume is because there's more free time to get ready. Also, there was at least one photo area set up every night except the first, so I was never the only one dressed up. I generally wear a formal length dress on the first one and something semi-formal on the second, with 'just dressy' outfits on the other nights.

Don't worry about being the only one dressed up any night; you won't be. Like I said earlier, though, if you enjoy dressing up, don't let a bunch of strangers that you're unlikely to ever see again stop you! :)

Whadah the guys think on this subject? Personally....my self esteem is intact and I have no Ego issues. Or is that just the wrong thing to say? I guess maybe, after thinking about it, maybe it's the only opportunity for the Lady's to feel special about themselves for all they have given. (and Guys....you know we can't compete with them........wouldn't want their job....no way.... no how):cool:

Whadah the guys think on this subject? Personally....my self esteem is intact and I have no Ego issues. Or is that just the wrong thing to say? I guess maybe, after thinking about it, maybe it's the only opportunity for the Lady's to feel special about themselves for all they have given. (and Guys....you know we can't compete with them........wouldn't want their job....no way.... no how):cool:

Don't think its an "ego" issue at all. Some men crack me up....don't you like it when your woman likes to look nice for you? What if we didn't care what we looked like? Personally I think its fun to dress up and look nice - I like to do it for my DH and for myself. I don't get to do it that often so going on a cruise makes it special.

Interesting take on the matter. BTW, I assume the "job" you are referring to is carrying a child and giving birth? I'm pretty convinced that most men would probably fall down and cry at the first cramp. But I digress... What makes you think that dressing up is the only opportunity for ladies/women to feel special about themselves? While I certainly enjoy looking nice and feeling good, I don't need to put on a gown or fancy jewelry or have my hair done in order to feel special and good about myself because my husband makes me feel that way every day of the week and has for decades, whether we're camping and I'm wearing jeans and slightly dirty sweater or we're at a formal event and I'm wearing a lovely gown, high heels, and sparkly jewelry. Perhaps you'd like to consider that wanting to look nice for one's self, one's spouse, and just in general has nothing to do with needing self-esteem or having ego issues.

Don't think its an "ego" issue at all. Some men crack me up....don't you like it when your woman likes to look nice for you? What if we didn't care what we looked like? Personally I think its fun to dress up and look nice - I like to do it for my DH and for myself. I don't get to do it that often so going on a cruise makes it special.

Good for you. I have to wonder if some men feel that it's okay not to have good grooming, nice attire, and so forth because they're so happy with their self-esteem and egos. Wonder what their wives or other partners think about that? I mean, do the guys say, "I haven't showered or shaved in a week; my clothes are ratty and not too clean; but hey, my ego and self-esteem are high, so you must think I'm wonderful too, right?":p

beachchick

I normally don't pay that much attention to who is wearing dress clothes or who is not, but last year on the Sky though there were two young couples sitting together and they all selected formal wear and the one gentleman had his military formals on....we were in Cagneys and it was the dress up or not night. They didn't seem out of place, even though there were a lot of people that selected to dress business casual.

What I love about Freestyle is that I can take something like a little black dress from my closet and feel very comfortable about wearing it to the dress up night. The first NCL cruise we took I spent hours trying to find the perfect formal for the formal evening on the ship. I have worn it exactly once, whereas the little black dress I have worn in many situations about 20 times. I think they are classy and always in vogue.

Only ONE dress up night on a seven day cruise?!! :confused:

Haha get used to it! I was on the 14 day Dawn repo and they had just ONE night! :eek:

Honestly blame the airlines for this. Baggage restrictions are making people pack lighter so the tuxes and suites stay at home in the closet.

Cheers,

Norman

interesting take on the matter. Btw, i assume the "job" you are referring to is carrying a child and giving birth? I'm pretty convinced that most men would probably fall down and cry at the first cramp. But i digress... What makes you think that dressing up is the only opportunity for ladies/women to feel special about themselves? While i certainly enjoy looking nice and feeling good, i don't need to put on a gown or fancy jewelry or have my hair done in order to feel special and good about myself because my husband makes me feel that way every day of the week and has for decades, whether we're camping and i'm wearing jeans and slightly dirty sweater or we're at a formal event and i'm wearing a lovely gown, high heels, and sparkly jewelry. Perhaps you'd like to consider that wanting to look nice for one's self, one's spouse, and just in general has nothing to do with needing self-esteem or having ego issues.

Good for you. I have to wonder if some men feel that it's okay not to have good grooming, nice attire, and so forth because they're so happy with their self-esteem and egos. Wonder what their wives or other partners think about that? I mean, do the guys say, "i haven't showered or shaved in a week; my clothes are ratty and not too clean; but hey, my ego and self-esteem are high, so you must think i'm wonderful too, right?":p

beachchick

amen sister!!

I normally don't pay that much attention to who is wearing dress clothes or who is not, but last year on the Sky though there were two young couples sitting together and they all selected formal wear and the one gentleman had his military formals on....we were in Cagneys and it was the dress up or not night. They didn't seem out of place, even though there were a lot of people that selected to dress business casual.

What I love about Freestyle is that I can take something like a little black dress from my closet and feel very comfortable about wearing it to the dress up night. The first NCL cruise we took I spent hours trying to find the perfect formal for the formal evening on the ship. I have worn it exactly once, whereas the little black dress I have worn in many situations about 20 times. I think they are classy and always in vogue.

So right about the little black dress!! Love mine too!

As mentioned, every night is dress up or not and photo shots are available in the reception area. There will be two dress up or not nights on the Pearl. One early in the week and the other later...usually the evening before a sea day. You are also correct that a lot will dress up on New Year's Eve no matter what is going on the next day. Thank goodness NCL does not factor in our esteem or egos when coming up with a dress code. You will find they treat you very well no matter what you are wearing.

Have fun with your wardrobe and do not tell our secrets to milligene to whom we really dress for. hahaha

coka

While I'm not a big fan of jacket and tie, I have always worn a suit on dress up nights because it makes the evening seem even more special and because my wife likes to dress up and always looks so good I have to do what I can to look like I am with her.I would not be a happy camper if I was standing beside her while some guy tried to pick her up thinking I was just some misplaced slob-I'm not misplaced!

While I'm not a big fan of jacket and tie, I have always worn a suit on dress up nights because it makes the evening seem even more special and because my wife likes to dress up and always looks so good I have to do what I can to look like I am with her.I would not be a happy camper if I was standing beside her while some guy tried to pick her up thinking I was just some misplaced slob-I'm not misplaced!

Haha. Thanks Cary T - I think you are the voice for many husbands out there!

How about Dawn to Bermuda? What night is dressier if any?

Also, we went on the Spirit and I think the first dressup night was the Captains Dinner and people were dressed up? Have a friend going in January and I am hoping I told her right.

It was important to my mother that we all dress "nicely" if we went out to dinner. Slacks, shoes, decent shirt. And if we went to a nice restaurant or something like a wedding, then we wore at least a jacket and tie, or a suit. So, I'm used to it and don't mind a jacket and tie. Although I do wear jeans (in good shape) to restaurants that are just average places.

Elegant night on Carnival was kind of fun. I didn't bring a jacket because we expected to be in port that night. But I wore a dress shirt and dress pants. I fit right in, but missed having a jacket and tie with me. I did notice that some folks who didn't dress up looked a little sheepish. It was fun, and next time I'll take the jacket and tie.

I think the boomers are too wrapped up in dressing down. LOL my dress slacks are way more comfortable then any pair of jeans I've ever worn.

Haha get used to it! I was on the 14 day Dawn repo and they had just ONE night! :eek:

Honestly blame the airlines for this. Baggage restrictions are making people pack lighter so the tuxes and suites stay at home in the closet.

Cheers,

Norman

Airlines have nothing to do with it, if you want to dress up you will make the effort especially for the good ladies, some may I add only get the chance when they cruise. How much extra does a suit weigh or a nice lightweight jacket and pants?

:(:(:(:(:(

Just done a 7-night on the Jewel. There were two "dress up or not" nights, on the two sea days.

Baggage restrictions really have nothing to do with this. My companion and I both brought a formal outfit: an evening dress for her and a dinner suit and the rest of the works for him. It was no problem keeping our luggage to one suitcase for each of us, well under 50 pounds - we were deliberately not making full use of our actual allowance of two bags x 70 pounds each.

Archived