Alcohol & Boarding the Caribbean Princess

thisnthat

Hi - we are going on our first cruise with Princess in 3 weeks, and I was wondering about their alcohol policies. I know that you're allowed to bring 1 bottle of wine or champange onto the cruise, but I was interested in bringing some liquor aboard. I read something in the package that they sent us that looked like you could order bottles of liquor from them, and have it delivered to your stateroom?? Has anyone ever done this?

If they do not offer that, I was thinking about buying some rumrunners, and trying to sneak it onboard. We are flying into San Juan to board, and I didn't really want to bring it from home on the plane. Are there duty free shops in the San Juan airport that I could buy it in? Has anyone ever smuggled alcohol aboard successfully or unsuccessfully?? How strict are they when you board?? Thanks for the advice!

In San Juan there is a liquer store that you almost have to walk through to board-They are in the walkway giving out samples. People were buying it, going out of the store and putting it in their carry on and going through security with no problems. Very inexpensive

Just come back from a week on Emerald and we bought duty free booze at Heathrow, put in in our case when we arrived in Miami and it went thorugh without any problems. I think it's better to put it in your case rather than "carry on luggage" Hope this helps

As the previous poster said, the best way is to buy at the port in San Juan and put in your carry on. You will save money and they are fine with you bringing it on, as long as it is in luggage. Wine and Champagne you can carry on in the bag from the shop.

Thanks everyone!! I will def pack it in my checked luggage. I feel much better about it now :) Glad to hear that it's easy to get in!!

And the best part is that you won't beat the prices offered in the duty free store in the terminal anywhere on your cruise.

Mike:)

I found better prices in St. Thomas and St. Martin but whatever you buy in San Juan doesn't count against the DF allowance. They have a great selection and some of their close out items are real buys. And the free 375 w/ 2 ltr. packages on some brands.

Rumrunners is the best bet and if possible, but them in a ziplock bag for extra protection. Scatter them in the checked luggage and place them vertically if you can so they don't show up if they do x-ray the checked luggage.

I know Princess is aware of the Rumrunner system but with all the luggage being looked at during embarkation, the usually go unnoticed.

Sailed on the caribbean princess last Nov out of San Juan, and you do walk through a liquor store as you board. Many will tell you they take it when you go through security, but they didn't. We put everything in our carry-ons, as we already gave them our checked bags, and no problems. Just make sure it's not visable.

Have a great trip!!!

Anyone know if they have soda pop in the San Juan duty free? About how much for a 12 pack?

It makes it so much easier to buy it there than have to carry it even from the hotel. We will still have our luggage at the shop as I have to get new luggage tags.

Thanks

Anyone know if they have soda pop in the San Juan duty free? About how much for a 12 pack?

It makes it so much easier to buy it there than have to carry it even from the hotel. We will still have our luggage at the shop as I have to get new luggage tags.

Thanks

I was just there last week. They have Coke, Sprite and a few others. They only had 6 packs and they were $3.99 if I remember correctly. They are $2/can on board. We bought Coke, Wine and Malibu Rum and brought it all on board, no problem at all. They know that everyone is doing this and just turn a blind eye.

I found better prices in St. Thomas and St. Martin but whatever you buy in San Juan doesn't count against the DF allowance. They have a great selection and some of their close out items are real buys. And the free 375 w/ 2 ltr. packages on some brands.

If I can find Bombay Sapphire for less than $9.95 a liter tell me where. I haven't seen those places on St Thomas or Maarten.:eek:

Mike:)

Archived