Why HAL?

kiggy

I don't even pretend to know whether boarding school is good for a boy or not; it may depend on which boy and which school. But if parents choose to spend a disproportionate share of their income to send a boy to boarding school because they believe it will be the best thing for him, I admire them, whether or not it does turn out to be the best thing for him. (I recognize that lots of people know for sure things I wish I knew.)

How is that different from taking a child on a Holland America cruise in the hope of getting a little support for their own efforts to teach him or her manners? (I think HAL is the perfect choice for good manners without pretension.) I can say that my wife uses the example of our betters on HAL cruises to encourage me not to gape my way through dinner in the MDR. (When she says, "Shut your mouth," she doesn't usually mean I talk too much.)

PS: I found eight sea days one too many; my wife enjoyed every single one and longed for more.

taking him on a cruise and letting him develop manners in a natural way is one thing. making him take etiquette lessons reminiscent of a cotillion is quite another. i'm sure that by acting as good parents and exposing him to new situations, you will help him to grow on his own.

You hit on something that might be a bonus attraction for HAL and ClubHal, classes in dining etiquette for young people. "Finishing school" type activities in the relatively formal HAL environment. Even intro ballroom dancing and dating etiquette.

One often hears important jobs can be won or lost based just upon dining manners .This is not a merely an effete or trivial pursuit, but something that is sorely missing in many young people lives when "activities" for them tend to be active extreme outdoors or indoor computer video ones. Polite manners and dining etiquette becomes instead an economic advantage.

Another activity needed for young people is a Financial Boot camp which have become more and more popular in our area.

Surely, there needs to be a place to also appreciate the niceities of "polite" manners and conversation. Something that can change the balances for kids between "Rich Dad and Poor Dads". And what better place to put some of these practices into action than on a nicely Old World HAL cruise.

Although I understand your intentions are good with these suggestions, the reality is that the things learned during an hour or less lesson on a cruise vacation will not stick....unless they are reinforced by the parents' own teachings. It would be a waste of time and money by HAL to schedule these types of "boot camps."

Thanks for all the good feedback. My husband and I are in our late 40's, are not partiers, and love the beauty of the ocean. HAL seems awesome to me, and I'm really looking forward to the cruise!

Hi Kiggy

My DH and I are also first time HAL cruisers and we'll be on the Zuiderdam on Jan 2 as well. We are early 50's and looking forward to a relaxing and interesting trip! Hope to meet up with some other couples. This is our 3rd cruise and I am getting very excited already. The days will fly by as we get caught up getting ready for Christmas!

Laurie (and Alan)

Ontario, Canada

Thanks for all the good feedback. My husband and I are in our late 40's, are not partiers, and love the beauty of the ocean. HAL seems awesome to me, and I'm really looking forward to the cruise!

THIS is why we sailed HAL for the first but not the last time! We are in a "get the kids out of college" mode so for now when we sail, we sail Carnival. I like Carnival but don't party and spend most of my time in quieter venues. When we can swing it, we get a balcony and I spend time out there.

We chose Hal, because it did have a nice balance of passengers. And of course 90% or more them don't post on travel forums. We were able to enjoy fellow passengers and their activities, perhaps not including bingo, but still feel we had the ability to get pretty good service at a good price. We also like Hals' Intinerarys'.

After that, the old world, old age stuff goes out this window. We are going to the Caribbean, and fishing, hikes and day time stuff ashore is another reason why we chose Hal.

But, some people who post here demand that things remain the way they were. I am not sure anyone really wants that these days. For instance servants are not what I would call any of the staff at Hal, because they are bright people who make our cruise experience all the better.

Also, in terms of the old days where women and children were saved first?

That really makes me laugh, of course, the children, but I thought we solved the equal rights issues between men and women in the 70's. And now some women are demanding they be automatically saved first? Too funny...

And... after the dancing and etiquette lessons for an hour on formal nights, should the kids be required to remain in their little tuxedo's while visiting club hal on formal nights?... Some of you are very funny in your vision of todays World. imo

Quote:

Maybe the better term is "Old World" rather than old at heart. As modern as Europe has become, these is still much we associate with the "Old World" that still brings nostalgia and praise. Even though HAL is more for Americans, it carries a lot of Old World Holland with it too. Just not the Amsterdam city "coffee shops" ..... yet.

It carries more the visions and traditions of the Dutch colonial empire without being reminded, of what was bad about foreign colonies. Oh dear, I think I am walking into something here. I guess I am saying it brings back the romanticized visions of colonial exploration from a bygone era.

Yep, when people "dressed for dinner" and one had "servants" in uniforms and white gloves working silently in the background, tea times rigorously observed, and stiff drinks at the bar with perhaps the gentlemen withdrawing to the lounge for cigars and talk of politics outside the gentle ears of women. And women and children would get rescued first, before the men, if the ship went down........:rolleyes:

Faux nostalgia sells just as much as rock climbing walls. Had to laugh at the difference between the two ads in the NYT today for NCL and HAL. One was all active and compelling to just stay on the hyper-frenetic ship with little mention of the destinations and the other one was all about quiet and individual care with the destinations held out there like juicy plums to pick and savor. Uhhhhh, any guesses?

I totally agree with everything that was just said. As the next generation of cruiser I don't mind elegance, and I think there is a place for this, but I also am getting the sense that the clientele on HAL is going to be pretentious and assuming as they wallow in their nostalgia. I am already wishing I had booked on a Celebrity Cruise instead, even if it was a little bit longer and outside of the time I wanted.

Regardless my airfare and everything is already set, so I will give HAL a chance, and I sincerely hope I enjoy it, I've paid top dollar for everything. First 'lady' who sneers or talks down to me or my friend is going to be put into her senile place so fast she probably will be crying the rest of the trip.

I totally agree with everything that was just said. As the next generation of cruiser I don't mind elegance, and I think there is a place for this, but I also am getting the sense that the clientele on HAL is going to be pretentious and assuming as they wallow in their nostalgia. I am already wishing I had booked on a Celebrity Cruise instead, even if it was a little bit longer and outside of the time I wanted.

Regardless my airfare and everything is already set, so I will give HAL a chance, and I sincerely hope I enjoy it, I've paid top dollar for everything. First 'lady' who sneers or talks down to me or my friend is going to be put into her senile place so fast she probably will be crying the rest of the trip.

Don't go looking for trouble either, Alunan.:eek: Attend to those projections and just enjoy yourself.

Alunan

I am currently sitting on the Eurodam at sea and I am having a great time. The crew has been wonderful and is really taking great care of us- they are spoiling my mom! The majority of the staff is from Indonesia where there culture has a great deal of respect for the elderly. The only snobbishness towards me so far was from a quite younger male passenger- all the grey haired folks are very friendly. Oh, by the way, I'm a 50+yo African-American grey haired, chunky woman who has had her shared of snobbery- no problem on this cruise! So, relax and enjoy the peaceful time on your trip.

Alunan

I am currently sitting on the Eurodam at sea and I am having a great time. The crew has been wonderful and is really taking great care of us- they are spoiling my mom! The majority of the staff is from Indonesia where there culture has a great deal of respect for the elderly. The only snobbishness towards me so far was from a quite younger male passenger- all the grey haired folks are very friendly. Oh, by the way, I'm a 50+yo African-American grey haired, chunky woman who has had her shared of snobbery- no problem on this cruise! So, relax and enjoy the peaceful time on your trip.

I look forward to it! I hope it is very much like your experience.

Going on my first HAL cruise and was curious why people book with HAL. Would be interested in your thoughts!

I hope to sail the Maasdam in the next year or so because she offers an itinerary and experience a little different than other cruises. It would also be another notch on the NE/Canada cruise bedpost:)

snowy (not much on brand loyalty, but always up for new experiences)

Archived