Carnival Pride Baltimore, Canaveral, Nassau, Freeport 11/2009 * Photo Review

markmogil

Here's the Paradise Cove mini bus...

ry%3D400

It was a 20 minute ride, and our driver (lifelong Grand Bahama resident, and owner of Paradise Cove) provided continuous narration of local history, ecology, and points of interest.

All payment details were handled on arrival, by Barry (not pictured) and his friendly assitant (pictured below)...

ry%3D400

Paradise Cove is a super friendly, clean, organized, family operation. They use a system of tickets and wristbands for purchasing food and renting stuff - very organized. Our $40pp deal included chairs, snorkel equipment, transport, and lunch. In addition, we rented a kayak, and bought a bunch of extra food and beverage.

Our first order of business: Set up chairs...

ry%3D480

I think this scene looks better with a wide lens, and facing the other way...

ry%3D480

Next up, a quick safety & reef ettiquette briefing that included a very instructions on where, exactly to swim and dive ...

ry%3D480

And equipment pick-up (have your ticket ready)...

ry%3D400

Ok, lets hit the snorkeling. It's short swim (200' or so) to the reef. With fins, it's no big deal for a strong swimmer. Out of shape? You'll find out. Novice swimmers will be challenged. Water depth on swim out to the reef was less then 5' the whole way.

Here's a POV floating on your back and fin-kicking out to the reef...

ry%3D480

I guess this photo was taken at about the halfway point.

Deaman's reef divides the shallow 5' shoreside lagoon on one side from the deeper opean ocean on the other. The deep side was about 25'. THe reef was large interupted crescent about 500' in length.

Alright then, enough verabge - how about some pictures?

On the shallow side, on the way out...

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

The view looking up from about 15' on the deep side...

ry%3D480

The more interesting snorkel pics are in the next post....

How a bout an menacing looking eel? This guy was about 10' below me, in about 25' of water - looked about as big as me. Should have stuck my hand out for scale, but he would have bit it off. You'll have to take my word about his size. Casual google research indicates it may be a Green Moray Eel: http://fishindex.blogspot.com/2008/07/green-moray-eel.html

ry%3D400

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

A Queen Triggerfish! (It's like she was posing)

ry%3D480

Let's wrap up Paradise Cove with a few more land-based photos...

ry%3D480

That's the top of the reef behind the kayaker...ry%3D480

Food, rentals, and bathrooms are in these red buildings...

ry%3D480

Menu

ry%3D480

Coconuts ready to be harvested...

ry%3D480

We'll harvest these in the next post...

Good food (for kids, and adults), reasonably priced...

Cheetos, Mountain Dew and a foot-long - kid fuel ... $5, better stuff for grown-ups, similarly priced.

ry%3D480

This is Barry, part of the family management team (he's the tall guy on the right ;)) Barry handled our deposit and arranged our excursion by email. We posed for this picture just for CC.

ry%3D480

More from Paradise Cove...

[look for this picture to be the #1 "No Lifeguard on Duty" image search on google one day}

ry%3D480

These houses are rented by the week. There were six, hurricane Wilma destroyed 4, these two were repaired.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Paradise Cove / Deadman's Reef was a great excursion! We had super beach day weather, and the water/snorkeling was superior. The food was good and fairly priced, and the facilities were clean and organized. Transportaion to/from the the ship was easy and prompt.

The short port time in Freeport was not a problem (in port 8 to 2), we were picked-up at 9:00, and back by 1:15.

This is a great family-run operation. This is not a big hotel resort.

Here's their website http://deadmansreef.com/

I'd go back anytime.

Your pictures are beautiful-thanks for sharing with us. We are considering PC on our cruise. Barry said that our 2 yr old & 4 yr old would be free.

Look forward to more pictures

Debbie

Paradise Cove was great. Our kids are a little older, 8 11 &14. It's a beach and swim excursion, so the weather is key. Hopefully you'll have good weather on your sailing.

I'm looking forward to more pictures too, so let's get after it then...

Freeport Harbor....

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Our crew, cleaned and dressed for the second "Cruise Elegant" evening...

ry%3D400

ry%3D480

ry%3D400

The dress code was flexible, even on the formal nights. There was a great range of stylistic and fashion choices.

Next post, the galley tour...

Almost done now...

This photo got a couple oohs and aahs back on page 1, so let's see it again...

ry%3D480

The return sail in to Baltimore presented another chance to capture the ship barely clearing a bridge thing....

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Here's a peaceful looking bouy that caught my eye in the calm water...

ry%3D480

Ok, that'll do it. I hope you've enjoyed this review - I enjoyed posting it.

If you've read this far, you likely have a cruise planned, so I wish you bon voyage, smooth sailing, and third cliche I'm too tired to think up.

This review has generated surprisingly few questions, but I would be delighted to answer any that I'm able.

Mark M

The photos are so awesome! I guess it's impossible to get good shots like yours with the point & shoot type. I have a Nikon Coolpix S6.

Very much enjoyed your review. Thanks for sharing!

Good gear helps, but I used a point and shoot for about a third of the shots posted. Your Nikon Coolpix should do just fine. :)

Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed the review.

I'm gonna go re-read yours now, and look real carefully at the pictures ;)

Happy Cruising!

/ M

Hi Mark !

Thank you for posting such a great review and awesome pics !!!! Your snorkel pics at Paradise Cove turned out much better than mine did, lol !! My underwater ones do not reflect how pretty it really is under water there. We had very choppy seas the day we went, very windy and a semi-cloudy day so I think that affected my under-water pics but I LOVE yours !!

Hi Mark !

Thank you for posting such a great review and awesome pics !!!! Your snorkel pics at Paradise Cove turned out much better than mine did, lol !! My underwater ones do not reflect how pretty it really is under water there. We had very choppy seas the day we went, very windy and a semi-cloudy day so I think that affected my under-water pics but I LOVE yours !!

You're welcome Princess Pam!

Glad you enjoyed your cruise and my review. I agree that calm water, bright sunshine, and shallow depth make for the best underwater photos. On my visit, Paradise Cove had all three, making underwater shots totally idiot proof. Sorry the weather didn't cooperate for you.

Thanks for posting your reveiw and photos too.

/ M :)

In your last set of pics there was a pic of a crab boat, where did you take that? Was it near the Bay Bridge on Sunday?

I don't know what a crab boat looks like. This one right?

Taken early Sunday morning on the sail in to Baltimore. I don't really have a feel for where exactly this was. The time stamp on the file says 11/8/09, 7:44am, but I think it was actually 6:44am.

At the time I did wonder why this little boat was out so early. Crabbing makes sense.

Thanks for clueing me in. :)

ry%3D480

Almost done now...

This photo got a couple oohs and aahs back on page 1, so let's see it again...

ry%3D480

Mark M

I'll wrap up this review with some miscellaneous photos, a sort of anticlimactic grand finale!

This Poker table was ALWAYS full.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Wow great pictures! I'm not sure which lifesaver pics I like better to be honest with you.

I have a question about the poker table. Was this table always busy or just at times? Also, how much was the min. for the table? I usually play the blackjack tables (regular or face up) but I might try this poker table out if it's the happening place to go. :D

Archived