Carnival Pride Baltimore, Canaveral, Nassau, Freeport 11/2009 * Photo Review

markmogil

Wow great pictures! I'm not sure which lifesaver pics I like better to be honest with you.

I have a question about the poker table. Was this table always busy or just at times? Also, how much was the min. for the table? I usually play the blackjack tables (regular or face up) but I might try this poker table out if it's the happening place to go. :D

Every time I passed it, the poker table was busy, and almost always full - rarely more than a couple of open seats. A couple of times I overheard the players grumbling that Pride should have more than one computer poker table, since in their opinion it was such a great money maker. Gambling is popular. Who knew? ;)

I'm not player, but my friend Tom is a poker fiend, so I had occaision to watch quite few hands.

There were at least two official tournaments on our sailing, each with a $150 buy in, and a $850 top prize. I think the table sat 12. Beside the tournament play, there was open play where anyone could wager. I'm pretty sure there was no buy-in, and that the house took 10% of each pot. I saw a bunch of people enter and exit ongoing games using their sign & sail cards.

Tom mentioned "setting up a private tournament", but I don't recall what came of that.

Hope that helps. You might try a search on "poker" here on CC for better advice.

Mark

Jean,

Our cabin on the Pride for our 01/03/10 sailing is 5264; If you can share your experiences with the cabin and balcony (plus anything else?), we are on the Carnival Roll Call forum here for our sailing date....

Hope your cruise was delightful!

Merry Christmas!

Ralph

• 3 weeks later...
Let's wrap up Paradise Cove with a few more land-based photos...

ry%3D480

That's the top of the reef behind the kayaker...ry%3D480

I just found your review and absolutely ENJOYED it.:D Thanks for sharing pics of your beautiful family, and your friends look like a lot of fun. Are you sure you aren't a professional photographer because your photos were SO stunning!

We are headed out on the Pride in less than 2 weeks. We're still trying to decide what to do in Freeport. One question: Were the kayaks designed for just one person? Or, could they hold two? I ask, because we have a 4-yr-old son and he is still a little young for snorkeling, but I'd love to take him out into the water on the kayak. Would this be feasible?

Also, did you purchase the meal (additional $5) to your reservation, or did you purchase them when you arrived? My son enjoyed your pictures... it's gotten him even more excited about our upcoming cruise.:)

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
I just found your review and absolutely ENJOYED it.:D Thanks for sharing pics of your beautiful family, and your friends look like a lot of fun. Are you sure you aren't a professional photographer because your photos were SO stunning!

We are headed out on the Pride in less than 2 weeks. We're still trying to decide what to do in Freeport. One question: Were the kayaks designed for just one person? Or, could they hold two? I ask, because we have a 4-yr-old son and he is still a little young for snorkeling, but I'd love to take him out into the water on the kayak. Would this be feasible?

Also, did you purchase the meal (additional $5) to your reservation, or did you purchase them when you arrived? My son enjoyed your pictures... it's gotten him even more excited about our upcoming cruise.:)

Thanks!

Lostincruise:

I don't remember seeing any two-seater kayaks at Paradise Cove, but you might ask Barry by email. The one-seat kayak we rented probably would not accomodate a parent/child duo. Paradise Cove's entry from the beach is shallow, and was calm on our visit. You could walk along beside the kayak and give your 4 year old a little assisted, solo paddling experience.

We pre-purchased the $5 meal, and subsituted and agumented the deal when we got there. Barry and his people were flexible and accommodating.

Thanks for the kind words for my amatuer photo bug skills :)

Have a great time!

M

Mark - we're thinking of doing a cruise during "Jersey Week" this year. Was thinking of doing a Western route, but being from south jersey the idea of leaving from Baltimore sounds great...plus we could get our 3 kids (9,7,3 at that time) to Disney for the day. We're there many other folks from Jersey on your sailing?

P.S. Got my Phils 6-pack for this year!! Go Phils!!

Hey Mark. We're sailing on the Pride in late March. You got us sold on Barry and Deadman's Reef. We're looking for something simple, not expensive and very relaxing. Did the resort ever get crowded that day? And what kind of camera did you use to take those fantastic underwater shots?

Thanks, Bill

Hi Mark,

We sailed the Pride before you and your family and I have to say that reading your review and looking at your pictures (Great pix by the way) brings back such great memories. I love reading others reviews after I've shared our own experience through a CC review of our own and I have to say that most of you guys who sailed the Pride come back with that same enthusiasm as we did. Love your review and I have to say that your Kids are the cutest... BTW we also had those awesome St.Louis Ribs and my mouth was really watering looking at them on your sons plate... They fell right off the bone... OK.. Back to reality.. I'm daydreaming here :-)

Thanks again for an awesome review and I'm glad you're family had such a great time.

Carrie

Mark

We are booked to go on the Pride 2/14/10. We are also booked to go to Paradise Cove. Just wondering....The snorkel equipment...you know, the mouth pieces....Did it sceeve you out to use theirs? We are thinking of packing our own mouth pieces, but if you thought they were cleaned well, I would eliminate some extra baggage. Were lifejackets included in the cost?

Do you know if he takes credit cards? Thank you!! Judy:rolleyes:

Mark - we're thinking of doing a cruise during "Jersey Week" this year. Was thinking of doing a Western route, but being from south jersey the idea of leaving from Baltimore sounds great...plus we could get our 3 kids (9,7,3 at that time) to Disney for the day. We're there many other folks from Jersey on your sailing?

P.S. Got my Phils 6-pack for this year!! Go Phils!!

Hi smuggs:

My crew uses the NJEA convention as an excuse to vacation every year (5 straight years of cruises and counting). Each year we encountered many other NJ families who do the same. The first week of November seems to be NJ's unofficial school vacation week.

Not only have met plenty of fellow Jersey people on these cruises, but also a few friends from home that just "popped up". It's a freaky small world experience, but a lot of fun. :)

Mark

We are booked to go on the Pride 2/14/10. We are also booked to go to Paradise Cove. Just wondering....The snorkel equipment...you know, the mouth pieces....Did it sceeve you out to use theirs? We are thinking of packing our own mouth pieces, but if you thought they were cleaned well, I would eliminate some extra baggage. Were lifejackets included in the cost?

Hi reynoldsrac:

Clean is relative. If you are easily skeeved and germ phobic (understandably so with such nasty bugs out there), then I'd suggest your own equipment might by a good idea.

Paradise cove is as clean as any authentic beach shack / boardwalk type operation I have encountered. Not as clean as a large premium resort, but way cleaner than your typical community swim club, or private camp ground.

I don't recall the actual sanitizer in use at Paradise Cove, but my personal skeeve meter did not register high enough to warrant concern. We all rinsed the equipment in the ocean, and snorkeled away. Afterwards we all ate lunch from the Pradise Cove grill. Nobody got sick, everbody had a great time.

You will too! Bring your gear though, a couple of snorkles pack easy enough and might give you peace of mind.

Mark

Hi Mark,

We sailed the Pride before you and your family and I have to say that reading your review and looking at your pictures (Great pix by the way) brings back such great memories. I love reading others reviews after I've shared our own experience through a CC review of our own and I have to say that most of you guys who sailed the Pride come back with that same enthusiasm as we did. Love your review and I have to say that your Kids are the cutest... BTW we also had those awesome St.Louis Ribs and my mouth was really watering looking at them on your sons plate... They fell right off the bone... OK.. Back to reality.. I'm daydreaming here :-)

Thanks again for an awesome review and I'm glad you're family had such a great time.

Carrie

Hi Carrie,

I thought we were on the same sailing - Nov 1. Oops :), no wonder I never spotted you onboard!

Thanks for the kind words, likwise I enjoyed your review and photos.

What happened to your photos? Your choice, or some sort of photobucket problem?

Hi Mark,

My choice for the photos. I pulled them. Got a couple of weird emails so I pulled them. I do send some to anyone interested in seeing the resorts etc... But to leave them up on webshots wasn't good.

I think this year we're heading back to bermuda though, it truly is our favorite beach destination.

Big football day tomorrow. I wish my Giants were there BUT.... next year.

At least one of the Manning brothers is playing :-)

Hi Carrie,

I thought we were on the same sailing - Nov 1. Oops :), no wonder I never spotted you onboard!

Thanks for the kind words, likwise I enjoyed your review and photos.

What happened to your photos? Your choice, or some sort of photobucket problem?

Hey Mark. We're sailing on the Pride in late March. You got us sold on Barry and Deadman's Reef. We're looking for something simple, not expensive and very relaxing. Did the resort ever get crowded that day? And what kind of camera did you use to take those fantastic underwater shots?

Thanks, Bill

Hi Bill:

During our visit to PC (9 to 12:30 or so) there were about 25 people total on the beach. Given the size of the place, that puts it just barely into the "inhabitted" section of my beach density spectrum analyzer:). PC is pretty far off the beaten path.

All my camera info you could want is in post #39 above.

Mark

Mark

Missed a couple of questions in there:

Life jackets - available, cost - don't remember.

Credit cards - yes (in advance online), I paid our deposit that way, but didn't use plastic while there.

I think gets'em all!

Missed a couple of questions in there:

Life jackets - available, cost - don't remember.

Credit cards - yes (in advance online), I paid our deposit that way, but didn't use plastic while there.

I think gets'em all!

Hi Mark,

We were also on the cruise (Nov 1st) that you were on. When I saw you had posted a picture of Pride sailing under the F. Scott Key bridge (returning) I had to go back and look at my video clips I took that morning. Yep, sure enough I have you taking pictures on the upper deck below the mast.

I was on the next deck down mid ship across from the radar dome.

Oliver

How funny is this. After reading the post above mine I had to look through your pictures . I never realized we were on the same cruise.

GUESS WHAT ???????????????

On page 2 of your review the 6th picture down you got US in one of your photos. We're at the very bottom of the picture , You can see my BF with his oakland raiders jacket on and You can see mostly my blonde hair but I had my NY Giants jacket on.... You gave me a good laugh over this.

Now I'll look through my 600 + pictures and see if we see you & Your family ....

What a riot..

Carrie

Mark,

I was wondering - if you had to plan your KSC day again would you do the standard or the up close tour. Am I correct that the up close tour is the standard tour with extra stops?

DD and I are on the Pride in June - We want to do KSC but I am still debating which tour to do.

Thanks,

Barbara

Mark,

I was wondering - if you had to plan your KSC day again would you do the standard or the up close tour. Am I correct that the up close tour is the standard tour with extra stops?

DD and I are on the Pride in June - We want to do KSC but I am still debating which tour to do.

Thanks,

Barbara

Hi Barabara,

I don't know what the differences are between any of KSC's tours. Hopefully their website spells it out.

In restrospect, we probably lucked out to see the shuttle at all. The Up Close tour would have been a big disappointment if Atlantis (distant though it was) had not been on the launch pad.

KSC was a fun day. I'd do it again, same way.

Mark

How funny is this. After reading the post above mine I had to look through your pictures . I never realized we were on the same cruise.

GUESS WHAT ???????????????

On page 2 of your review the 6th picture down you got US in one of your photos. We're at the very bottom of the picture , You can see my BF with his oakland raiders jacket on and You can see mostly my blonde hair but I had my NY Giants jacket on.... You gave me a good laugh over this.

Now I'll look through my 600 + pictures and see if we see you & Your family ....

What a riot..

Carrie

Thought so ... ;)

Archived