Our day on Cozumel

BeagleMommy

Ok, DH and I have been home from our cruise on the NCL Sea for over a month. But we were moving our house and then it was Christmas and, well, life happens. BUT. I thought I would share our experience for anyone who wants to hear it.

We had a great day on Cozumel, which is one of our favorite places of all. Since we had both been there before we just got ourselves off the ship - we docked at the more southern pier on the island - and found a local car rental place. We rented ourselves a beat-down Jeep for the day ($75 for the whole day) and off we went. We drove all the way around the island (doesn't take very long, it's a small island), stopping when we felt like it. But mostly just wanted to see the other side, which is GORGEOUS! There's nothing over there - only a couple bars here and there, but mostly it's just uninhabited rocks, beach, dunes, etc. Absolutely beautiful! If we'd had more time I would have been very happy to have brought a picnic over there and just played on a beach on that side for a while.

We stopped at a couple of the island's ruins along the way, starting with one that's on a road not too far from town. El Cedral, I believe. These were pretty much a waste, as far as we could tell - not much there. We also stopped at the San Gervasio ruins, which are back around on the northern side of the island (the car rental guy gave us a map). These were pretty impressive. Not anything like what you'll find in Tulum or Chichenitza, but for Cozumel these are as "big" as it gets. Definitely worth stopping, if you're in to ruins. Very interesting area.

After San Gervasio we cruised back through town, attempting to get back down to Paradise Beach. Which should have been very easy - just hit the main road again and head down. Unfortunately the main road was under major construction, so we got a very interesting tour of the side streets... but eventually made our way to Paradise Beach.

Although we didn't get to spend as much time there as we would have liked, we found Paradise to be just lovely. How many places can you just sit and enjoy someone's nice beach, umbrellas, chairs, for free?? And their food was good, not super cheap (they sorta get you there), but reasonable. We just ate, rested some, and then just took our own snorkel gear and paddled around out in their swim area. The snorkelling was actually great right there! We saw quite a few fishies, lots of coral, an eel, etc. Very fun!

By the time we were done snorkelling it was just about sunset. So, we rinsed off and changed clothes (SUCH a great thing - we were MAJORLY hot & sweaty after our visit to the ruins), jumped back in the Jeep, and headed back to turn it in. Then we walked around town a bit, but we aren't really the Señor Frogs types, so we headed back aboard the Sea.

Cozumel is a place we definitely recommend "doing your own thing" if you're at all inclined. It's a small place, and most of the locals are pleasant. Not to suggest you shouldn't be wary - always must be as a tourist of course - but, there are a lot of things to do that, in our opinion, are infinitely more fun than ship excursions.

So there's my report!

:cool:

We rented a jeep too. (thanks for all the help before the cruise everyone--cozumel Sally) We rented Avis right next to our pier. It was the best day of of the cruise. We to the beach, swimming and had drinks. (Mr. Sanchoes free beach). The lighthouse, and to a couple of other stops and had true mexican food and drinks. Then the ruins. It was a lot cheaper than the ship' The jeep rental was 84.oo per person. They was 70.00 something plus gass.

We have two boys they wanted to rent our own car or jeep at every port. The drinks were so cheap compared to the ship. I did have the jeep reserved before the cruise via net.

Archived