Should this be a concern for future cruise?

GwenyP

We're looking at possibly booking the Dream for October or November 2010 ... was real excited about it, then I saw that the newest behemoth of the seas, Oasis, will also be in port the same days the Dream is at St. Maarten AND St. Thomas. I don't know about any other ships being there at the same time yet, but I love both of those ports and really don't want to be there if the islands are overrun.

We've been lucky in the past and there's only been one or two other ships there, but I'm really concerned about the 6,000 passengers coming off the Oasis.

We really love St. Maarten but I wonder if it will be that enjoyable with so many people on the island.

Has anyone else been to these ports when there have been a lot of other ships there at the same time? We're not looking to do much; go to Orient Beach and Sapphire Beach or Magens Bay.

We're looking at possibly booking the Dream for October or November 2010 ... was real excited about it, then I saw that the newest behemoth of the seas, Oasis, will also be in port the same days the Dream is at St. Maarten AND St. Thomas. I don't know about any other ships being there at the same time yet, but I love both of those ports and really don't want to be there if the islands are overrun.

We've been lucky in the past and there's only been one or two other ships there, but I'm really concerned about the 6,000 passengers coming off the Oasis.

We really love St. Maarten but I wonder if it will be that enjoyable with so many people on the island.

Has anyone else been to these ports when there have been a lot of other ships there at the same time? We're not looking to do much; go to Orient Beach and Sapphire Beach or Magens Bay.

You ask a fair question. We have been there when 4 ships were there, granted none the size of the Dream and certainly none close the Oasis. I will tell you that when there with 4 ships, while you could def. tell the difference, it was not overwhelming. Adding the net difference (minimal in the case of the Dream but not so in regards to the Oasis) of passengers, I can't honestly say. Will make sense to watch and see reports.

It's not as though the island is going to sink from the weight of so many people. :eek: ...however...

All jokes aside if you FEEL like it will be too many people then it probably is a valid concern. I wouldn't mind a lot of happy travelers as long as it doesn't look like a rush hour New York city sidewalk. But if that is likely to bother you then maybe you should do something different.

:cool:Brad:cool:

It's not as though the island is going to sink from the weight of so many people. :eek: ...however...

All jokes aside if you FEEL like it will be too many people then it probably is a valid concern. I wouldn't mind a lot of happy travelers as long as it doesn't look like a rush hour New York city sidewalk. But if that is likely to bother you then maybe you should do something different.

:cool:Brad:cool:

I was thinking about the local beach in walking distance from the ship. Adding in 1,500 or so additional people would over run it and the local shops (from a tourist perspective).

Yeah, I've looked at doing something different, but we've always enjoyed Carnival, and Port Canaveral is driving distance from Atlanta so it would save some $$ on airfare. Plus, like I said, we love St. Maarten and St. Thomas and I would love to sail on the Dream.

So, we're not sure. I looked at a Disney cruise but it's $$$ for a balcony (have to have a balcony!! ;) )

I just don't want Orient Beach to be wall-to-wall people. :o

its one of the biggest ports in the world...as many others have said we were there when there were 4 ships...if Dream and Oasis are the only ships in port it should be a great day since Oasis' pax really equal 2 average size ships the overcrowding shouldnt be too big of a concern...

I think St. Maarten would be OK but not St. Thomas....

That's one port where I stay close to the ship now....usually take the tram to Paradise Point for lunch, a little island shopping and great views. I can't imagine the taxis, vans, street traffic (already a nightmare), pedestrian traffice (ditto in some areas) much less way overcrowded beaches and attractions once those huge ships start pulling in with others.

I have already decided to plan future cruises around where these ships will be in any given week. Not so much Dream but for sure Oasis and Allure (when it hits the water).... I will avoid them as much as possible.

Have been to both ports with 4 or more ships. It is very crowded but I don't know what you feel is crowded. As far as the beach who knows. Depends on the weather and how long each ship is in port. I guess you just need to go and stay positive you are going to have a great time no matter how many people. They are all there for the same purpose. I have had stops with wall to wall people. Not as enjoyable to get around but I still had a great time as I just went with the flow. Have fun!

That is one of the only things that I do not like about Cruise ship travel. Ports jam packed full of tourist wondering around like lost sheep. If you really want to see and get to know a place take a land/air trip. Once the cruise ships pull out each day many places come alive with the locals and true travelers. Hopefully the cruise lines and the ports will put a limit on how many of these mega ships plus any other ships can be in port at any one time.

There were 6 or 7 ships in port with Caribbean Princess when I was at St. Thomas. So many ships in St. Marteen, I got lost in the parking lot at a flea market trying to find the right bus to get back to the port, they were parked everywhere in multiple parking lots, all the same kind of excursion bus. I was beginning to panic that I couldnt get back to the port. One more ship plus or minus isnt going to change much in these busy ports.

Interesting question which really has no answers yet. We leave on The Dream on 12/3 for its inaugural 9 days cruise out of Port Canaveral. We noticed that at most ports The Dream is one of only 2-3 ships BUT at St. Thomas we are one of SIX ships including the RCCL Oasis of the Seas. Should be interesting, especially at 1800 hrs when all six ships are scheduled to leave at once. We are just going to take it in stride, been there 3 times before, and probably enjoy the ship a little more that day.

Hi All,:)

I've been wondering this same thing, since we will be on the Miracle docked in St.Marten on Wed. 12/9. With the Oasis of the Seas!!! I don't know of any other ships there that day, but will let you know how it goes with 8000+ people disembarking there:eek:

Later

BOB

You cant even see the dock that Princess docks at in this picture, but there are always a lot of ships at these ports. I took a excursion where they go to the heights, Mountain Top, the Tram etc.

From the Tram. beautiful, no wonder its a popular port.

105805761_Picture069.jpg.d5c69a5ee7b9ae7e6cda7bec2eb7749a.jpg

Interesting question which really has no answers yet. We leave on The Dream on 12/3 for its inaugural 9 days cruise out of Port Canaveral. We noticed that at most ports The Dream is one of only 2-3 ships BUT at St. Thomas we are one of SIX ships including the RCCL Oasis of the Seas. Should be interesting, especially at 1800 hrs when all six ships are scheduled to leave at once. We are just going to take it in stride, been there 3 times before, and probably enjoy the ship a little more that day.

Once again, Oasis will not be using the same dock in St. Thomas. It is completely on the other side of the harbor, where the QM2 ties up.

I think you'll be fine in St. Maarten. Last January we were on Freedom of the Seas, next to us was a Carnival ship, ahead of those two were the Solstice and a French cruiseship. The island did not feel crowded at all, in fact I commented that I didn't see that many people from our ship out at airport beach with us. The ships all departed at different times so there was not a rush on the pier. We waved goodbye to the Carnival ship maybe 90 minutes before we left. The Solstice was staying until late that night.

I think St. Thomas will be fine too, as someone else said, Oasis is docking near the Cunard ship.

I assume this is why some of the Carnival ships changed itineraries a few months back (Liberty, for one). We'll be on the Dream in April, sharing St Thomas and St Maarten with the Oasis OTS, among others.

In March we were in St Maarten with 4 (or maybe 5?) ships and it wasn't too bad. We go to the beach right in town in sight of the ships. They've really done a nice job there with a wide boardwalk along the beach. Plenty of lounge chairs to rent, bars and eateries. There's so many beaches on St Maarten, including Orient, which is huge, I don't think it will be a problem. I'm sure there will be plenty of taxis, water taxis, buses, ect. Tourism is thier business, they'll take full advantage of the increase in bodies :)

In St. Martin, a whole new pier was constructed for the Oasis.

In St. Thomas, Oasis will dock at Crown Bay, not at Havensight, due to draft constaints.

You will be fine.

Wow, I am so glad to hear this. I was worried about St Maarten and using the golf cart that is usually available to travel along the dock. My husband has knee problems and can't walk long distances and I had visions of never being able to get on the golf cart. It's only $1 each way per person, but a lifesaver for someone who can't walk far.

I am hoping that you will write a review when you come back so we will know what we are getting into, lol. Enjoy.

Archived