Yellow fever vaccination for South America?

icps1995

I had a reply from the University of Pittsburgh international travel clinic. They are part of the Medical Center here, but are considered to be private, so they do have the vaccine. I'm finding out that the State Department of Health clinics are the ones that seem to have the shortage of vaccine. If nothing else, this has been interesting research.

So once again, if one is interested in being inoculated, don't wait too long before looking for the vaccine.

Mary

Arrived back in the U.S. from Rio on Thursday. Our ship docked on Wednesday -- we took a tour and left Thursday night. No one -- repeat -- NO ONE asked to see proof of a Yellow Fever shot or a waiver.

If you are spending a short time in Rio where there is no risk of getting Yellow Fever, I recommend getting a waiver from your doctor. The excuse I used is that I am allergic to eggs (Note: I'm not). If, however, you are going to te interior or Brazil, certainly get the vaccination as a precaution.

Arrived back in the U.S. from Rio on Thursday. Our ship docked on Wednesday -- we took a tour and left Thursday night. No one -- repeat -- NO ONE asked to see proof of a Yellow Fever shot or a waiver.

If you are spending a short time in Rio where there is no risk of getting Yellow Fever, I recommend getting a waiver from your doctor. The excuse I used is that I am allergic to eggs (Note: I'm not). If, however, you are going to te interior or Brazil, certainly get the vaccination as a precaution.

I am glad this all worked out for you and welcome home from the cruise. Would love to hear how the cruise was.

One does not require a yellow fever shot just to visit Rio as you correctly mentioned.

It all depends on where you have visited during your cruise and where you plan to go next. In fact, for our upcoming cruise it shows that we need a yellow fever vaccination (which we both have from a couple of years ago) because we are entering Brazil after going to French Guiana.

Keith

We are sailing 1/10/10 and Uruguay is the country that is demanding the YF vaccination. As we are going Rio to Valparaiso and will be in Montevideo within 6 days of departing Brazil, we are currently required to get the shot. But, of course, things can change quickly. People sailing the opposite direction don't need the shot (last time I checked).

Regards,

Tina

We are sailing 1/10/10 and Uruguay is the country that is demanding the YF vaccination. As we are going Rio to Valparaiso and will be in Montevideo within 6 days of departing Brazil, we are currently required to get the shot. But, of course, things can change quickly. People sailing the opposite direction don't need the shot (last time I checked).

Regards,

Tina

This one will likely not change. Nor in the neartmerm will the reverse direction change.

Keith

Archived