Fresh off the Oosterdam today and here's my review. HAL, I hope you're reading...

Scrapchick

Couple of question for you Scrapchick: I realize you weren't happy with your dining room steward; did he not have a asst. dr steward? They are the ones who usually fill the water glasses/get you the basket of bread rolls and offer you coffee/tea at the conclusion of dinner. You never had one? Case of Oosterdam under-staffing? Did you talk to your area supervisor/asst. dining room mngr while onboard to discuss your unhappiness with the dr service? Your dining room manager? Culinary ops manager?

Also, just so I'm clear. How would you and DH have liked to get those second appetizers/two soups/three desserts served to you? There are many times when someone does not order an appetizer/soup/salad so your steward then attempts to get "something" in front of each guest i.e. guest #1 and #3 don't want an appetizer and guest #5 doesn't want soup. When he comes out with the appetizers for everyone else, he tries to get a soup (or salad) to guests #1 and #3 so there is not a time when someone is staring at an empty plate. If you order more than one of whatever your heart desires, they usually serve them at the same time.

We were on As You Wish dining, so had different wait staff every night. Some waiter/assistant teams worked better than others. On this particular evening, the waiter and assistant didn't seem to have clearly defined roles and I think that played a part in the way things went.

Concerns about dining room service were raised at our CC meeting on Day 2 with the food services director, not by me. I don't really like to judge a cruise until the whole things is over and an off night isn't unusual for most people. It's hard to be on top form all the time. No, I did not talk to anyone in charge of the dining room about it. It was clear from conversations with other passengers that they were already getting an earful from unhappy cruisers and I didn't see the need to pile it on at the time.

Multiple courses?? What I am mostly used to on ships is that if I order two soups, for example, that one would be brought after the other. I am not used to seeing everything delivered at once. I realize people at a table might be eating different courses at different times and the waiters have to manage this, but for the most part, in my past cruising experience the general practice has been for each serving to arrive on its own. I have never felt the need to criticize a waiter for the way food was served in the past but felt this particular meal was inelegant and poorly handled.

Again, it's my opinion, based on what I experienced!

Oh, I'm sorry! I clearly misunderstood your statement:

I thought you were saying that the lack of Thanksgiving recognition extended to the menu CONTENT; I'm sorry I misunderstood.

NO, not at all! I forgot to mention the food content or quality at all in my review, which I generally felt was very good. Thankgiving was definitely recognized menu wise.

Thank you for your honest review. I also have been known to order either two soups or two appetizers, usually I am asked when I would like them served--which soup is the soup course and which is an appetizer. I agree that to just pile everything at once--and to not space your child's order out to mesh with the adults shows a lack of service and training.

What people don't realize is that when little things constantly go wrong each incident is annoying--but it adds up to color the entire cruise.

I had some of the same reaction that you are getting when I mentioned some negatives from my cruise. Again thank you for a fair review.

Instead of complaining about dinning room staff did you ever think that HAL is having difficulty with crew turnover? The impact of the numerous earthquakes and resulting sunami waves has probably resulted in crew members going home, leaving HAL with too many openings and not enough trained staff.

Ordering more that one soup, salad, main course, and desert is a little OVER THE TOP. The poor waiter is responsible for getting food from very specifically designated areas in the kitchen. He cannot be expected to run around several times just to make you happy. He must serve everyones main course TOGETHER. This is a cruise ship not a land based dinner. There are several good books written by cruise ship staff, you need to read them.

Certainly when you select to travel on a national holiday, by ship, bus, plane, or car, you must expect a certain amount of chaos. Too many people trying to do the same thing. If you want a more relaxed experience travel the second or third week after Thanksgiving next year.

I think commenting on it being over the top when a person orders an extra soup or appetizer one night is completely out of line. It is none of your business to comment on what a person orders to eat!

For your information, I ordered two appetizers one night, at the time I placed my entire order. I didn't order two appetizers, two soups, two entrees and didn't have the waiter running back and forth to the kitchen like my own personal slave at all.

I chose to travel this week because our daughter was able to go. We knew there would be a lot of families on board and it didn't bother us at all. We expected a full, busy cruise. This is the third year in a row we have done this trip at this time. I have taken enough cruises to know how it works on a ship, thanks very much.

Some of your comments are nasty and unnecessary.

We just got off the Oosterdam on Nov 21st after a 19 day Panama Canal Cruise. We expirienced or noticed none of the problems that you outline. The staff was prompt and did and excellent job.

Your twenty minute wait for waffles does not make sense to me. The waffle maker makes 8 waffles at one time and they take 3 minutes to cook. Thats 48 waffles in 20 minutes. If the line was that long, why did you wait and time it ?

I have not seen people ordering 10 coarse dinners for a long time and doubt that current wait staff know how to balance the phenomenon. I also bet that the kitchen staff was going nuts with special individual instructions on how to cook for the 350 kids on board. (as directed by their parents)

We were on the Oosterdam the trip before this cruise, and they were preparing for the crew switch. Some of the new crew had actually come aboard in Fort Lauderdale, so it was staggered.

Our cabin was near the Lido, so we often popped up to grab a plate or two, then back down to our room to eat (we never actually ate *in* the Lido during the entire cruise.) I can attest that the silverware issue was evident - sometimes there was none available on the serving stations, and during busy times, I couldn't find any tables that had any clean places set. We just started ferretting away an extra wrapped set of silverware to keep in the room, which ended up working out well enough.

There was indeed only one waffle maker working during our whole trip, but there was never a line for it that I encountered - or rather, there was only a line if you had to wait for it to finish, and that would just be 1 or 2 people. The sandwich/deli station at lunch was the one that had all the holdups on our cruise.

In the main dining room, we only ordered two entrees once, and that was as a replacement, so it wasn't served at the same time. We checked out the menus ahead of time, and when there was something we'd want more than one of each night, we just ordered room service, to save time.

I think commenting on it being over the top when a person orders an extra soup or appetizer one night is completely out of line. It is none of your business to comment on what a person orders to eat!

AMEN!! I plan on doing the exact same thing now that I know I can, instead of odering something I do not want. BUT, I prefer my courses, i.e. soups, to come together. BUT that is MY preference and I will make sure our waiter knows it when I order.

Some of your comments are nasty and unnecessary.

I agree and hope that people will remember that you did not bash HAL, you just mentioned a couple (or 3) things that you noticed and reported them to us as a commentary.

Everyone has an opinion and we should all remember that it is all in the eye of the beholder and as such try to be nicer and re-read what we write before hitting the submit button.

Joanie

Thank you, scrapchick, for your honest review. I was on this cruise and had similar experiences.

May I begin by saying that I knew this was a holiday cruise and that there would be many young people on board. I crossed the gangway with some apprehension as I find unruly children tiresome. However, I was not personally impacted by that many children on board whatsoever (okay there was one incident I'll get to later)! Club HAL did an AMAZING job of keeping the youngsters happy and busy. I never stayed in the mid-ship pool or hot tub areas which were completely overrun by children having a great time. I was perfectly happy being in other parts of the ship, including the aft pool and hot tub areas.

There was a huge crew turnover on embarkation day and service in some areas WAS definitely sub par to what I have experienced in the past, there's no denying it.

Throughout the week I never once was offered nuts or appetizers in the Ocean Bar, during cocktail hour before dinner. But when I asked if they were available, they were promptly delivered. When I ordered a drink (Ocean Bar), it was not uncommon to wait over 10-12 minutes to receive it. This is a longer time period than I've waited for drinks in the past. I witnessed people, tired of waiting to give their drink orders, get up and leave and go to another venue.

On day 1, I requested to have my ice bucket replenished at 4pm each day thereafter. It took 3 days to actually get ice at this requested time.

There was no fruit basket nor request card for fruit in my room on embarkation day. When I asked the steward for same, it was delivered.

On past formal nights, in the lounges, the norm is that the 'good nuts' appear, i.e., good quality, mixed nuts and not simply peanuts. Again, in the Ocean Bar, they offered honey roasted - good but not the best.

Not a complaint but rather a statement of fact - those observing formal dress codes are no longer the majority. In fact the minute dinner was over the entire ship reverted to jeans and other more casual clothes, except for a few of us diehards apparently - LOL I honestly believe formal nights will soon be a thing of the past.

I also found it shocking to see so MANY people in bare feet and wearing robes in the Lido, on this trip. Way more than I've ever encountered in the past. The times they are a'changing...

The format of the Mariners' Brunch was disappointing. The Captain spoke very briefly and the Future Cruise Consultant gave her plug and that was it for program content. They both left, the rest of us ate and left too....done deal. I have no idea if, in the future, cruisers will be recognized when they move between the various categories, one, two, three, four stars etc. No cruisers were introduced at this luncheon anyway.

I had late dining at 8pm every night and had two excellent stewards and the food was good.

They are STILL doing the smoking survey as an adjunct to the final evaluation form; it's been years now hasn't it? Let's make a decision folks.

Oh yes, one day a group of young boys were in the mens sauna, so I decided to wait 20 minutes and come back later. There were 2 men in there by the time I returned and the smell was awful. As boys will be boys, I guess the previous youngsters thought peeing into the water bucket that is used to splash water onto the hot coals would be a good idea! LOL It took some time to get rid of THAT smell.

I can understand the issue with decreased level of service (and attitude) following significant crew turnover. We experienced the same thing last spring on the Rotterdam when they brought on over 100 new crew in NY and another 100 somewhere later in the cruise. I forget where it was on this northern transatlantic crossing.

F.

Interesting. We were on the Rotterdam Northern Highlights tour right after its transatlantic crossing, before it settled into the Baltic cruise summer. A number of things were off on that trip and only got one infamous towel animal during the whole cruise.

Every day there was something that went wrong with the cabin service routine, but then what went wrong the day before got corrected while something new (and relatively minor) showed up the next. Little things like breakfast door hangers, chocolate on the bed, coming back to unmade room, no turn down ....... a new crew getting all the details down into a smooth operation does explain this.

Nothing was a major problem, but a surprise after the superb, precision delivery on the Maasdam. Yes, a new crew settling in (and taking their first towel animal lessons) could explain all the slight mishaps during that cruise.

Something to think about when taking these shoulder type cruises which are often cheaper. Only stands to reason it takes a while for a new crew to get its groove. It still amazes me people want these jobs in the first place considering they are on the ship 24/7, many may not even know if they get bothered by seasickness, and probably live in very cramped circumstances with few ways to wind down even when they are not working their shift.

God love them and happy they get it going as well as they do and always thankful they do want these jobs to make a special occasion for the rest of us for just a few days compared to their long days working under these conditions.

Yes, we are paying them to do exactly what they are doing and they agreed to get paid to do that. But gaining more understanding about the routines and crew changes and repositioning and retraining demands makes it more understandable when some cruises "work" and others are a bit off their mark.

This can explain why some cruises are cheaper than others. I assumed it was mainly weather related or prime holiday time related. But it also may well be new-crew training time related too.

I also found it shocking to see so MANY people in bare feet and wearing robes in the Lido, on this trip. Way more than I've ever encountered in the past. The times they are a'changing...

We found that passenger behaviour on our T-giving cruise last year quite surprising, too (to be as kind as possible). There just seemed to be a different "vibe" on our Thanksgiving cruise last year, and we won't do one again if we can avoid it.

Thank you, scrapchick, for your honest review. I was on this cruise and had similar experiences....

Just wanted to say thank you for your review. I prefer the honest reviews over the all was beautiful everything was perfect ones. While I know they are true from that poster's perspective, they overlook the little things that can add up. (I know, I am one of the guilty ones!)

I like kids, please do not think otherwise. But when I cruise, I do not want a lot of kids around me. I want to enjoy my cruise with people (of all ages) that are well behaved and have manners.

Again thank you

Joanie

I think your disappointment is more than justified!!

We have been similarily disappointment on Mexican Riveria cruises by the way. Not on HAL (we have not gone on HAL to Mexico yet) but on Princess and Celebrity. I feel cruiselines don't make service on these cruises a priority for some reason? Don't feel it should be like that but for some reason, compared to other itineraries, we have disappointment more on these cruises than any other.

Thank you, scrapchick, for your honest review. I was on this cruise and had similar experiences.

May I begin by saying that I knew this was a holiday cruise and that there would be many young people on board. I crossed the gangway with some apprehension as I find unruly children tiresome. However, I was not personally impacted by that many children on board whatsoever (okay there was one incident I'll get to later)! Club HAL did an AMAZING job of keeping the youngsters happy and busy. I never stayed in the mid-ship pool or hot tub areas which were completely overrun by children having a great time. I was perfectly happy being in other parts of the ship, including the aft pool and hot tub areas.

There was a huge crew turnover on embarkation day and service in some areas WAS definitely sub par to what I have experienced in the past, there's no denying it.

Throughout the week I never once was offered nuts or appetizers in the Ocean Bar, during cocktail hour before dinner. But when I asked if they were available, they were promptly delivered. When I ordered a drink (Ocean Bar), it was not uncommon to wait over 10-12 minutes to receive it. This is a longer time period than I've waited for drinks in the past. I witnessed people, tired of waiting to give their drink orders, get up and leave and go to another venue.

On day 1, I requested to have my ice bucket replenished at 4pm each day thereafter. It took 3 days to actually get ice at this requested time.

There was no fruit basket nor request card for fruit in my room on embarkation day. When I asked the steward for same, it was delivered.

On past formal nights, in the lounges, the norm is that the 'good nuts' appear, i.e., good quality, mixed nuts and not simply peanuts. Again, in the Ocean Bar, they offered honey roasted - good but not the best.

Not a complaint but rather a statement of fact - those observing formal dress codes are no longer the majority. In fact the minute dinner was over the entire ship reverted to jeans and other more casual clothes, except for a few of us diehards apparently - LOL I honestly believe formal nights will soon be a thing of the past.

The format of the Mariners' Brunch was disappointing. The Captain spoke very briefly and the Future Cruise Consultant gave her plug and that was it for program content. They both left, the rest of us ate and left too....done deal. I have no idea if, in the future, cruisers will be recognized when they move between the various categories, one, two, three, four stars etc. No cruisers were introduced at this luncheon anyway.

I had late dining at 8pm every night and had two excellent stewards and the food was good.

They are STILL doing the smoking survey as an adjunct to the final evaluation form; it's been years now hasn't it? Let's make a decision folks.

Oh yes, one day a group of young boys were in the mens sauna, so I decided to wait 20 minutes and come back later. There were 2 men in there by the time I returned and the smell was awful. As boys will be boys, I guess the previous youngsters thought peeing into the water bucket that is used to splash water onto the hot coals would be a good idea! LOL It took some time to get rid of THAT smell.

Richard, I'm so sorry to hear that your cruise was disappointing. :(

I know the dining room Manager on the Noordam "Voyage of the Good Nuts" left after the cruise that followed (that we did as a b2b), for vacation, and was going to the Oosterdam after that. Is he still on the Oosterdam?

Sounds to me like cruising during the holidays or on school vacations is not a good idea. :rolleyes: Hope your Voyage of the Macadamia Nuts is much more enjoyable.

I was on the same Oosterdam cruise as BruCory, and agree with the comments. The staff was aware of a "swarm" of children boarding. As mentioned there were only 3 children on our cruise. Two of the children were in a cabin in the same hallway as ours. They were called "the screamers", because when their parents or Gparents opened the cabin door, they ran screaming down the hall. The future cruise consultant commented on them, because they disrupted business. Those 2 tykes didn't know what indoor voices were. Mom and Dad were illiterate, as they had the kids in the aft pool, which is for adults only (as spelled out in the daily program). I highlighted that section and put in in their mail slot, to make sure they got the point.

We mentioned the "screamers" to our tablemates, and updated them on the daily escapades of the terrifying twosome. One night our tablemate "J" said she encountered the kiddos and their Grandma in the elevator. "J" said to Grandma "are these the children everyone is complaining about?" Grandma harrumphed and got off on the next floor! I wish I could have seen that exchange!

Roadqueen

You're welcome. I have to work over Christmas, so I never get to take a cruise then either. Nevertheless, I've read from people who have cruised over Christmas that the Line goes all-out to make it a special experience. I think that's great.

I usually try to avoid cruises and/or times of the year when swarms of children are to be found aboard ship. (Note: 3+ children constitutes a "swarm.")

" Suffer the little children to come unto me..........."

All,

I went on the Oosterdam also during Thanksgiving week and just got home. What the first post mentioned was all true. I went with a relative who has been on HAL cruises numerous times and they stated it has never been like that before.

I brought two children with me and they were part of the 360 kids on board. Kids had a great time and the HAL club was able to support it. As there were so many kids they were spread out all over the ship and took over the Lido pool. If you do not like kids - do not go during a school break.

BUT - the service on the ship was indeed terrible the first three out of seven days. With reservations we waited in line over an hour to get into the Vista Dining Room. No reservations line was only a 30 minute wait. That went on for the first three nights. After that there were no lines and we could walk right in. All our meals were served in order and at an approrpriate time. Service was not the best though - and forget ever being asked if you wanted more coffee or tea - it just was NOT going to happen. Not the experience I expected. I can not tell you how choatic is was and how unhappy A LOT of people were. We did not have too high expectations - the service was indeed bad.

In the Lido buffet, numerous time the bowls were empty (especially the first three days). FORGET ever getting coffee served at your table and you had to forage to get some silverwear often.

Our room stewards were fantastic. Getting off and on the ship - no problems. Everyone was very nice and tried to help.

Again - biggest problem was the Vista and Lido. Not sure what happened but by the fourth day things seemed to have been worked out.

For all of you who are saying the expectations are too high for the first poster - no they are not! Something went wrong on the ship with the crew and with a full group of passengers they were not able to overcome it.

Would I go again -yes, I would. I am going to give HAL the benefit of a doubt and hope this was just a one time mishap.

Only true complaint - the coffee I got for myself really was not good - but my expectations are pretty high there. :)

For all of you who think expecations were too high by the people who said this was not a good cruise -here is what happened the first night aboard...

To reach the Vista Dining Room you have one of two hallways to go down. As we were about 20 feet from the entrance to the Vista, someone had evidently thrown up all along the floor in an attempt to get to the nearby bathroom. About 15 feet of the floor was soiled. The ship was rocking so I am sure it was sea-sickness and not the food.

We quickly went to the other hallway -but people were still walking in the soiled hallway and no barriers were put up. After about 5 minutes someone from the ship put napkins down to cover the, uh, soiled floor.

After 25 minutes we finally saw someone come up to clean the carpets. I was shocked that would happen in any restaurant and certainly on board a HAL ship. 25 minutes to clean a soiled floor!!!

We were again, waiting outside the Vista because it took so long to get in.

I hope someone from HAL reads this and takes action to ensure this would never happen again. Things on this cruise were so out of wack that something was really wrong. I think HAL could have just owned up to the problem and told everyone what was going on.

We just got off the Oosterdam on Nov 21st after a 19 day Panama Canal Cruise. We expirienced or noticed none of the problems that you outline. The staff was prompt and did and excellent job.

Your twenty minute wait for waffles does not make sense to me. The waffle maker makes 8 waffles at one time and they take 3 minutes to cook. Thats 48 waffles in 20 minutes. If the line was that long, why did you wait and time it ?

I have not seen people ordering 10 coarse dinners for a long time and doubt that current wait staff know how to balance the phenomenon. I also bet that the kitchen staff was going nuts with special individual instructions on how to cook for the 350 kids on board. (as directed by their parents)

I am glad your cruise was better than the one that followed it. Each cruise is different.

I didn't time the wait for the waffles! Good grief, after standing in line every day it was easy to roughly estimate how long I was away from the table. My husband sat and waited for me most of the time and commented on how long I was gone. It became easy to calculate how long it would take from where the line began. I got to chat to many of my fellow cruisers in that line so not all was lost.

There was one machine and it made four at a time, not eight. Some people took all four waffles on one plate which slowed things down considerably, or took several plates for others in their party. One machine for the entire ship was painful, even if it was beyond their control as they said.

As for why I bothered to wait in line each day? The waffles were wonderful, that's why. Nothing beats a freshly made waffle with the fixings. Its something HAL has always done so well.

All,

I went on the Oosterdam also during Thanksgiving week and just got home. What the first post mentioned was all true. I went with a relative who has been on HAL cruises numerous times and they stated it has never been like that before.

I brought two children with me and they were part of the 360 kids on board. Kids had a great time and the HAL club was able to support it. As there were so many kids they were spread out all over the ship and took over the Lido pool. If you do not like kids - do not go during a school break.

BUT - the service on the ship was indeed terrible the first three out of seven days. With reservations we waited in line over an hour to get into the Vista Dining Room. No reservations line was only a 30 minute wait. That went on for the first three nights. After that there were no lines and we could walk right in. All our meals were served in order and at an approrpriate time. Service was not the best though - and forget ever being asked if you wanted more coffee or tea - it just was NOT going to happen. Not the experience I expected. I can not tell you how choatic is was and how unhappy A LOT of people were. We did not have too high expectations - the service was indeed bad.

In the Lido buffet, numerous time the bowls were empty (especially the first three days). FORGET ever getting coffee served at your table and you had to forage to get some silverwear often.

Our room stewards were fantastic. Getting off and on the ship - no problems. Everyone was very nice and tried to help.

Again - biggest problem was the Vista and Lido. Not sure what happened but by the fourth day things seemed to have been worked out.

For all of you who are saying the expectations are too high for the first poster - no they are not! Something went wrong on the ship with the crew and with a full group of passengers they were not able to overcome it.

Would I go again -yes, I would. I am going to give HAL the benefit of a doubt and hope this was just a one time mishap.

Only true complaint - the coffee I got for myself really was not good - but my expectations are pretty high there. :)

With the exception of the Explorations Cafe, I find the ship coffee not to my taste. I enjoy a good cup of coffee, and we usually buy the coffee cards for the Explorations Cafe. However, recently, I bought something "new," some instant coffee packets at Starbucks; I think they work out to be $1 a cup, but I bought two boxes to take on our next cruise. They're coming out with decaf now, and next time I'm at Starbucks, I'll buy some to stick in our suitcases. I will try before we leave...but if they're good, on the cruise, I'll order a teapot of water, and use my Starbucks for my 1st cup in the morning!:D

For all of you who think expecations were too high by the people who said this was not a good cruise -here is what happened the first night aboard...

To reach the Vista Dining Room you have one of two hallways to go down. As we were about 20 feet from the entrance to the Vista, someone had evidently thrown up all along the floor in an attempt to get to the nearby bathroom. About 15 feet of the floor was soiled. The ship was rocking so I am sure it was sea-sickness and not the food.

We quickly went to the other hallway -but people were still walking in the soiled hallway and no barriers were put up. After about 5 minutes someone from the ship put napkins down to cover the, uh, soiled floor.

After 25 minutes we finally saw someone come up to clean the carpets. I was shocked that would happen in any restaurant and certainly on board a HAL ship. 25 minutes to clean a soiled floor!!!

We were again, waiting outside the Vista because it took so long to get in.

I hope someone from HAL reads this and takes action to ensure this would never happen again. Things on this cruise were so out of wack that something was really wrong. I think HAL could have just owned up to the problem and told everyone what was going on.

Thanks for the support and validating what I described. Sorry we never crossed paths on the ship.

I had forgotten all about the vomit outside the dining room! Yes, we had to get past it as we left dinner one night... It trailed all the way from the entrance to the restrooms and looked terrible on the carpet. Seas were very calm except for that last night on the way home, so who knows what caused it.

Archived