MSC Poesia Caribbean / Playa Del Carmen

TopSecretAdam

Can anyone tell me what the real deal is for this stop?

I called MSC to see what pier we dock at, they said we tender to Playa Del Carmen, and they don't know where...

Has anyone been to Playa on the Poesia yet? What was the procedure?

-Adam

Hi Adam,

What is the date of your cruise - we are on the Poeisa on Dec.10-20.To my knowledge we would disembark at Calica but not sure if we would be tendered or not. I would check with other cruise lines who stop at Cancun(Playa Carmen) and speak to them.

Christine and Pat:o

Can anyone tell me what the real deal is for this stop?

I called MSC to see what pier we dock at, they said we tender to Playa Del Carmen, and they don't know where...

Has anyone been to Playa on the Poesia yet? What was the procedure?

-Adam

Not sure how MSC handles this, but we were just in Playa, for a week. The main ferry pier to Cozumel is there, and some Carnival cruizies were on a guided tour there (5th avenue, and it's AMAZING prices).

Now, the tour-pushers and time share hustlers we on this pier as well, so be forwarned.

The area is an absolute delight in itself, if you are tolerant of somewhat pushy sale people.

I'm offering this info as my best guess, as I observed this from the non-cruizers perspective.

Hope this helps!

Not sure how MSC handles this, but we were just in Playa, for a week. The main ferry pier to Cozumel is there, and some Carnival cruizies were on a guided tour there (5th avenue, and it's AMAZING prices).

Now, the tour-pushers and time share hustlers we on this pier as well, so be forwarned.

The area is an absolute delight in itself, if you are tolerant of somewhat pushy sale people.

I'm offering this info as my best guess, as I observed this from the non-cruizers perspective.

Hope this helps!

Hi, I just heard from someone that we probably will dock at Cozumel and take ferry to Playa - 35 minutes ride. It seems MSC USA is not too informed of this. Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Hi, I just heard from someone that we probably will dock at Cozumel and take ferry to Playa - 35 minutes ride. It seems MSC USA is not too informed of this. Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Still waiting for confirmation. However, Google Earth shows a really long pier at Constituyens Ave in Playa Del Carmen. Compared to the dock for the ferries, it looks like it would easily handle a ship the size of the Poesia. Don't think that PDC would be listed if Coz were the port that the Poesia is going to. I am going to plan on PDC rather than Coz.

Thanks

I just can't see that happening. The ferry ride is more along the lines of 45 minutes, and it seems more practical to tender from offshore, several minutes in duration after boarding the 'tender'.

Just back from Nov 20th Poesia, we were to anchor near PDC and tender to PDC, but we ended up docking in Cozumel, due to high winds...while on Cozumel I didnt notice any serious winds, but I am not a navigator....but we were definitely going to tender into PDC.

Joe

• 1 month later...

I found the following information on the Internet:

"Playa Del Carmen is a tender port and the ships anchor quite a ways from the tender dock so expect a long ride. The dock is right downtown in Playa Del Carmen and one can walk from the tender to everything Playa Del Carmen offers."http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/PlayaDelCarmen.htm

This stop is usually docking in Cozumel now because the weather has been so bad for a while now, making the waves too big to tender to shore. If the weather outlook is bad, you can expect to dock in Cozumel. Then if you have an excursion booked in Playa Del Carmen you will have to ferry.

Keep in mind, if you can't tender and you have to ferry from Cozumel. The water ride is 30 mins, and VERY rough. A lot of people will be throwing up on the ferries. I know because I ferried roundtrip twice in one day, and it was BAD! The smell of puke was on every ferry I took. So take your sea sick pills, and bring some menthol if you have to ferry.

Archived