Got one of 'THOSE' questions??

*Mach*

Hello Everyone :)! Just wanted to say hi. I see there is alot of interesting cruisers with tons of great info on here :). Very happy I signed up! Plus, I can't wait to be on the ocean in a few weeks.

:cool:

The Vaccine Center And Travel Medicine

If you go to the roll calls you can find other people that are going on your sailing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150

Go to the link I posted above and choose the ship you are going on. Then find your sailing date. If you can't find your sailing date, start another thread.

Hey everybody.. we are going on our honeymoon on the conquest and was wondering if anyone has a link for menus and fun times for the conquest. I have looked through the boards and have found every ship but conquest.. maybe i missed it.. but... if someone does.. i can plan and have fun dreaming of May 2 when we set sail.... :)

Hey everybody.. we are going on our honeymoon on the conquest and was wondering if anyone has a link for menus and fun times for the conquest. I have looked through the boards and have found every ship but conquest.. maybe i missed it.. but... if someone does.. i can plan and have fun dreaming of May 2 when we set sail.... :)

You can find a very typical (but not specific...) menu for a seven day voyage here:

http://www.bookccl.com/irman/bookccl/sections/shipboard/DinnerDesserts_master.html

:)

Mach,

Do you know anything about Carnival conviscating extension cords? We definitely need one in order to charge Marvin's oxygen concentrator. Is there a way we can get an answer quick? We are sailing in 8 days. There are a lot of folks that have medical equipment with them, ie CPap machines and electric wheel chairs and the like, that have to have and extension cord for charging or for operation.

Mach,

I heard that on some cruises people were getting surveyed about some possible platinum perks - reserved chair near the pool, platinum guest party, and being allowed to carry on an extra bottle of wine were some possibilities mentioned. We were just on the Dream, and we received no such survey. I would think the platinum party would be a good idea - there were 2600 past guests on the Dream last week, according to Todd. The lounge was ridiculously crowded, and I know lots of people that didn't even go. Have you heard anything about this? Thanks.

Mach,

I heard that on some cruises people were getting surveyed about some possible platinum perks - reserved chair near the pool, platinum guest party, and being allowed to carry on an extra bottle of wine were some possibilities mentioned. We were just on the Dream, and we received no such survey. I would think the platinum party would be a good idea - there were 2600 past guests on the Dream last week, according to Todd. The lounge was ridiculously crowded, and I know lots of people that didn't even go. Have you heard anything about this? Thanks.

The only thing I've heard has been about an email survey that some folks have received... nothing on board.

The survey was, indeed, about perks for platinum cruisers. I didn't receive one. Many folks who are not Platinum got them... quite random.

The only thing I've heard has been about an email survey that some folks have received... nothing on board.

The survey was, indeed, about perks for platinum cruisers. I didn't receive one. Many folks who are not Platinum got them... quite random.

We did not get a survey and we are Platinum and have cruised in the recent past and have 3 future cruises booked. They definitely have our email address but we were not surveyed

Mach,

Do you know anything about Carnival conviscating extension cords? We definitely need one in order to charge Marvin's oxygen concentrator. Is there a way we can get an answer quick? We are sailing in 8 days. There are a lot of folks that have medical equipment with them, ie CPap machines and electric wheel chairs and the like, that have to have and extension cord for charging or for operation.

I posted after they disallowed our extension cord for our computer on the Carnival Victory, the port was San Juan in Oct 2009. I have had other people post that they needed them for C PAP machines and there was not a problem. We actually got targeted because our checked luggage had a small hammer, pliers and screw driver that my husband threw in at the last minute because the wheels of our luggage kept coming loose and the new luggage we ordered before we cruised went on back order. Unknown to us, but clearly stated was no tools of any kind. The hammer of course showed up on the scanner and I got called down. I knew just where the hammer was (it was small and it was a travel type that we got for Christmas that had screwdrivers nestled in the handle) so I went right to the place it was. Unfortunately I have put them in a clear bag that a sheet set had come in and next to it was another "clear bag" with a $60.00 extension cord with a breaker (it was not a cheap fire hazard one). The only reason they saw it was that it was in clear view through the clear plastic bag. Had it not been visible, they would not have taken it because they didn't see it on the scan. What they saw was the hammer and then once my luggage was open, they saw the extension cord and said I couldn't have it on board. I was able to run it across the street to the Sheraton we just left and they kept it for me. When I protested the extension cord, they brought it to a supervisor that also said no. So they took our extension cord. We protested by have NO ON BOARD EXPENSES. We did not buy internet, we bought no pictures and had no online expenses at all. Our usual bill for online expense is over $1000 so I used my blackberry instead and did not pay the ship a cent. I understood the other things but not the extension cord. We just learned to hide it better. Like everything else at Carnival, it depends on who does the screening. Trust me, they do not want to find you dead on the ship so a C PAP, O2 thing will definitely be allowed.

....but yes we were busted for an extension cord but we have been on 12 cruises and never had to go down.....just don't pack a hammer or pliers.

I've always taken an extension cord with a surge protector. That might make the difference, or I might have been lucky, too. I hear from many people on here that they always include one. Makes it possible to plug in all those chargers on the last day since they don't fit between Carnival's mirrors and the vanity top. Other plugs are behind the nightstands. If it was a regular extension cord with no circuit breaker, it might be considered a fire hazard.

I posted after they disallowed our extension cord for our computer on the Carnival Victory, the port was San Juan in Oct 2009. I have had other people post that they needed them for C PAP machines and there was not a problem. We actually got targeted because our checked luggage had a small hammer, pliers and screw driver that my husband threw in at the last minute because the wheels of our luggage kept coming loose and the new luggage we ordered before we cruised went on back order. Unknown to us, but clearly stated was no tools of any kind. The hammer of course showed up on the scanner and I got called down. I knew just where the hammer was (it was small and it was a travel type that we got for Christmas that had screwdrivers nestled in the handle) so I went right to the place it was. Unfortunately I have put them in a clear bag that a sheet set had come in and next to it was another "clear bag" with a $60.00 extension cord with a breaker (it was not a cheap fire hazard one). The only reason they saw it was that it was in clear view through the clear plastic bag. Had it not been visible, they would not have taken it because they didn't see it on the scan. What they saw was the hammer and then once my luggage was open, they saw the extension cord and said I couldn't have it on board. I was able to run it across the street to the Sheraton we just left and they kept it for me. When I protested the extension cord, they brought it to a supervisor that also said no. So they took our extension cord. We protested by have NO ON BOARD EXPENSES. We did not buy internet, we bought no pictures and had no online expenses at all. Our usual bill for online expense is over $1000 so I used my blackberry instead and did not pay the ship a cent. I understood the other things but not the extension cord. We just learned to hide it better. Like everything else at Carnival, it depends on who does the screening. Trust me, they do not want to find you dead on the ship so a C PAP, O2 thing will definitely be allowed.

....but yes we were busted for an extension cord but we have been on 12 cruises and never had to go down.....just don't pack a hammer or pliers.

I've always taken an extension cord with a surge protector. That might make the difference, or I might have been lucky, too. I hear from many people on here that they always include one. Makes it possible to plug in all those chargers on the last day since they don't fit between Carnival's mirrors and the vanity top. Other plugs are behind the nightstands. If it was a regular extension cord with no circuit breaker, it might be considered a fire hazard.

This is one of the reasons that Cruise Critic is so valuable. News like this spreads fast, probably faster than Carnival would like but such is the way of the world.

There have been several reports of folk having power strips and fans confiscated on recent cruises. In my mind, this is utter nonsense and I've told the folks at Carnival exactly that. I refuse to believe that the excuse of 'fire hazard' is worthy. What are the odds that those circuits in the cabins are NOT circuit breaker protected? None. If an electrical device draws too much current the breaker will trip... end of story.

I fear that Carnival is using this as an excuse to explore your checked luggage and confiscate anything they find objectionable.

I talked with John Heald twice about this last night and he's trying to find out what exactly is going on.

This is one of the reasons that Cruise Critic is so valuable. News like this spreads fast, probably faster than Carnival would like but such is the way of the world.

There have been several reports of folk having power strips and fans confiscated on recent cruises. In my mind, this is utter nonsense and I've told the folks at Carnival exactly that. I refuse to believe that the excuse of 'fire hazard' is worthy. What are the odds that those circuits in the cabins are NOT circuit breaker protected? None. If an electrical device draws too much current the breaker will trip... end of story.

I fear that Carnival is using this as an excuse to explore your checked luggage and confiscate anything they find objectionable.

I talked with John Heald twice about this last night and he's trying to find out what exactly is going on.

Ours was an expensive one with a surge protector and adapted to use in Europe as well as the US. If it had been a cheap one, I would have just had them throw it out rather than run back to the Sheraton with it. (they were extremely kind and got a generous tip when we returned the following week) I understand the fire hazard, but many of the one outlets provided in the rooms are unable to fit a charger because of their location. Cheap ungrounded cords are easier to hide and they are a fire hazard. Unfortunately if people risk losing the extension cord, instead of carrying one that is expensive and protected, the $5.00 Walmart kind would be used because it is easier to hide in your luggage. We ended up unplugging the TV completely and utilizing the outlet there for my laptop. The location of the only outlet was in an area with a small ledge and after two days of sitting on the floor with my laptop watching a movie, we unplugged the TV.

Like I said, it was a $1000 cord seizure. Since we pre paid our gratuities, our sail and sign bill was zero. I paid AT&T to use my Blackberry and instead of booking Carnival excursions, we went out on our own and visited internet cafes in port, something we never do. We travel a lot, so boycotting our sign and sail card for that cruise was what we did.

Thanks, Mach for checking on this for us.

Here's the answer... power strips are now prohibited. So, items like this:

power20strip202_in.jpg

face confiscation.

Oddly enough, things like this:

threeoutlet.jpg

seem to be completely acceptable. The issue, it appears, is with the number of outlets. The fear is that the electrical system will be overloaded.

If anyone has need for a power strip one can be borrowed from Guest Services.

My suggestion... put it in your carry on as there's little likelihood that it would be taken from there.

We'll see something on John's Blog thingy today in that regard so stay tuned!

I know... it doesn't make any sense to me and implementing a change like that by confiscation rather than notifying passengers in advance seems ridiculous.

We'll see what John has to say about it in his blog.

power20strip202_in.jpg

face confiscation.

threeoutlet.jpg

seem to be completely acceptable. The issue, it appears, is with the number of outlets. The fear is that the electrical system will be overloaded.

My suggestion... put it in your carry on as there's little likelihood that it would be taken from there.

I know... it doesn't make any sense to me and implementing a change like that by confiscation rather than notifying passengers in advance seems ridiculous.

Thanks for clarifying this and I do think Carnival should have a link, much like the pictures you posted, that clarify what is allowed and what isn't. I really believe that people do not purposely go against Carnivals rules, but do so out of the more widespread problem of, what is allowed??? This question has been looming for 6 months for us as I posted the original question when we returned from our cruise in Oct 2009 cruise and we had, for the first time, our computer powerstrip taken at the San Juan port. (with a small hammer with nested screwdrivers)

My research into Carnival and this board came up with the fact that it was pretty much "just us" that had this problem, and many follow up posters were less than kind in discrediting the information. Since we cruise in a week, I am glad to now have the info on what to pack. Also the problem of telling us not only could we not have it, they were going to throw it away and if I wanted to keep it, I now had the problem of standing on the dock with the problem items or throwing them away and going on the cruise. Luckily the bellman at the Sheraton kept them for us, but I had to get off the ship and run around with this problem. To me this was handled wrong and Carnival would be much better served to have put them in an envelope (like the bellman did) and return them to me when the cruise ended. It was the attitude that I committed some major crime with my screwdriver for the luggage wheels and my powerstrip that was troubling to us. I do like the idea that they will keep a banned item for you that you brought because their rules were less than specific.

Would it really hurt Carnival to devote a page of their "rules" with pictures of the items banned instead of the ridiculous ("household items" "tools of the trade")?

Thank you Mach for being the liaison for cruisers and getting us the answers we need for a smooth start to our vacation.

power20strip202_in.jpg

face confiscation.

threeoutlet.jpg

The only problem I can see with this is that Guest Services may not have enough to go around. I wonder how the power strips that Guest Services provide are different from the ones people have been bringing on board. Perhaps they "trip" at a lower electrical draw.

What about "regular" extension cords? They are more hazardous (in general) than power strips, since they can easily be overloaded beyond their rating and have no built in protection.

It seems that a lot of people bring some sort of extension cord, power strip, or a triple tap adapter. I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival doesn't realize how much of this goes on.

Power strips are difficult to overlook, but extension cords not so much. :rolleyes:

As far as incidents where prohibited items are confiscated to be discarded, that contradicts Carnival's luggage restriction policy:

...Carnival conducts security scanning of all baggage and if prohibited items are found, they will be removed and stored on board for safekeeping until the end of the voyage....

Thanks for clarifying this and I do think Carnival should have a link, much like the pictures you posted, that clarify what is allowed and what isn't. I really believe that people do not purposely go against Carnivals rules, but do so out of the more widespread problem of, what is allowed??? This question has been looming for 6 months for us as I posted the original question when we returned from our cruise in Oct 2009 cruise and we had, for the first time, our computer powerstrip taken at the San Juan port. (with a small hammer with nested screwdrivers)

My research into Carnival and this board came up with the fact that it was pretty much "just us" that had this problem, and many follow up posters were less than kind in discrediting the information. Since we cruise in a week, I am glad to now have the info on what to pack. Also the problem of telling us not only could we not have it, they were going to throw it away and if I wanted to keep it, I now had the problem of standing on the dock with the problem items or throwing them away and going on the cruise. Luckily the bellman at the Sheraton kept them for us, but I had to get off the ship and run around with this problem. To me this was handled wrong and Carnival would be much better served to have put them in an envelope (like the bellman did) and return them to me when the cruise ended. It was the attitude that I committed some major crime with my screwdriver for the luggage wheels and my powerstrip that was troubling to us. I do like the idea that they will keep a banned item for you that you brought because their rules were less than specific.

Would it really hurt Carnival to devote a page of their "rules" with pictures of the items banned instead of the ridiculous ("household items" "tools of the trade")?

Thank you Mach for being the liaison for cruisers and getting us the answers we need for a smooth start to our vacation.

I'm thinkin' that it's really more of a question of keeping us in the dark rather than announcing changes BEFORE they're implemented rather than letting us know about the change but confiscating items from our luggage.

I know a number of Platinum folks who are seriously reconsidering their ties with Carnival because of this brute force method of making changes... can't blame 'em one bit...

The only problem I can see with this is that Guest Services may not have enough to go around. I wonder how the power strips that Guest Services provide are different from the ones people have been bringing on board. Perhaps they "trip" at a lower electrical draw.

What about "regular" extension cords? They are more hazardous (in general) than power strips, since they can easily be overloaded beyond their rating and have no built in protection.

It seems that a lot of people bring some sort of extension cord, power strip, or a triple tap adapter. I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival doesn't realize how much of this goes on.

Power strips are difficult to overlook, but extension cords not so much. :rolleyes:

As far as incidents where prohibited items are confiscated to be discarded, that contradicts Carnival's luggage restriction policy:

...Carnival conducts security scanning of all baggage and if prohibited items are found, they will be removed and stored on board for safekeeping until the end of the voyage....

I agree about the availability of the power strips, John. The ones that Guest Services have include a surge suppressor and, yes, I asked about brining my own with a surge suppressor... they won't allow it. It seems totally nonsensical to me but there's little I can do about it...

Regarding the extension cord thing no one said that it would be disallowed... again... nonsensical...

:confused:

power20strip202_in.jpg

face confiscation.

threeoutlet.jpg

Mach,

One quick comment--I printed out the rules yesterday--and no where does it state that power strips are banned either! They had better deveop a better way to advise folks! And they are going to have so many people in the "naughty" room, they aren't going to be able to handle them all. And there are a lot of us that will quit cruising with them.

I agree about the availability of the power strips, John. The ones that Guest Services have include a surge suppressor and, yes, I asked about brining my own with a surge suppressor... they won't allow it. It seems totally nonsensical to me but there's little I can do about it...

Regarding the extension cord thing no one said that it would be disallowed... again... nonsensical...

:confused:

Another thing to consider when they put someone in the position of finding a place to "mail home" objects not allowed (and embarkation day is a Sunday) is that many people do not only cruise on the vacation. I think if they wish to disallow it, keeping it for you until the end of the cruise is acceptable for us.

An example: Many people head to the port city a few days early and many pack things like an extension cord, travel iron, fan etc. for use not on the ship but in the hotel room they will occupy 3 days prior to the cruise, and 2 days after. Are they to "throw out" the items they brought for their hotel stay even though they have no intention of using them on the ship? Carnival would be better served by having a "drop off" for items prohibited on the ship but that you might have packed for a pre cruise stay at a hotel. I would be glad to drop off my iron, extension cord and our "just in case" pair of pliers and have them returned to me at the end of a cruise.

Not only will it save time in calling people down to the naughty room to go through their luggage but it would go far in no treating passengers so badly when they have one of these items in their luggage that the cruise line doesn't want you using in the cabin.

Archived